S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Union Flag Pennants  (Read 881 times)

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Union Flag Pennants
« on: January 02, 2023, 09:43:41 PM »

Hello everyone -

Do any of y'all out there know of a source for the Union Flag ennants with the Land Rover oval on them?  I've tried just about every online trick I know in order to find them but have had no luck.

Cheers!
Larry

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Union Flag Pennants
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 09:57:55 PM »

There are plenty of places over here who will take your pennant (flag) design and produce any number you want.
Our Treasurer Tom, may have the details who did our last batch ???

:-\
Word of caution ...

Jaguar Land Rover are very protective of their green oval logo.
We have no problem with the old black and silver logo.

JLR may have a more relaxed attitude over in the states.

:snowman-1
Who's a then ?

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 10:13:52 PM »

There are plenty of places over here who will take your pennant (flag) design and produce any number you want.
Our Treasurer Tom, may have the details who did our last batch ???

:-\
Word of caution ...

Jaguar Land Rover are very protective of their green oval logo.
We have no problem with the old black and silver logo.

JLR may have a more relaxed attitude over in the states.

:snowman-1

That's why I was looking for a source, don't really want to deal with a possible copyright issue.  I'm wondering if they were made for use at LR dealerships.

As to the "more relaxed attitude over in the States"...  we are the 'Land of the Lawsuit'; we'll sue over anything!   :-X  :-X  :-X

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 10:26:14 PM »

The green oval badges may be available from dealers. Some years ago I found a wheel centre cap with a green oval badge. I carefully removed the badge and superglued it to the centre of my Land Rover steering wheel. I believe the cap could've been from a Freelander. If a genuine green oval badge is used there surely can be no copyright issues.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 10:29:38 PM »

The S2C is affiliated to something called the Association of Land Rover Clubs (ALRC).
As such Land Rover have given their permission to freely use the older black oval logo.

:lr_small_logo

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 10:39:58 PM »

The S2C is affiliated to something called the Association of Land Rover Clubs (ALRC).
As such Land Rover have given their permission to freely use the older black oval logo.

:lr_small_logo

That's a thought....   

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 11:17:08 PM »

Would imagine LR VERY protective of their 'green oval' mark. In court in a heartbeat. After all, take that, and who needs just another car factory?

In the Overdrive thread I mentioned I was going to provide the proper item. Thing is, again with the 'black oval' there's several. Shown above is the late 70s/early 80s variant. Whereas this vv HERE vvv, made to 'look' hand-drawn typeset, is early S1. In industry standard (vector format) I'm working to produce the S2/early S3 era logo now. PM me for what you see to date.
"He looks too cheap to me to be of good quality."

rusty66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3939
  • .:
1964 SWB
1964 LWB Carawagon

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 01:37:26 AM »

They are currently auctioned off on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185728168233?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DAJUytnfRK6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=RKwgWPJQTg6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks!  Just bought them... rather pricey.  Unfortunately they will not arrive before I'm wanting to use them, but I was able to get the exact same style pennants just without the logo.  I didn't get a notification as to your reply... found it today.

I wonder why I couldn't find those when I searched for them, even used the picture search option. 

Anyway - thanks again, appreciate it.   :tiphat

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 05:11:46 AM »

Hi,

I'd guess that the Union Flag is out of copywrite (copyright?) by this time, and there must be many thousands being printed off without permission.

For the information of those who don't already know, the Union Jack is a Union flag, flown from the "jack staff" of a civilian boat/ship. I'm not sure if its a legal requirement. ???

The White Ensign is flown by the Royal Navy, and the Red Ensign by the Merchant Navy. The (pale) Blue Ensign belongs to the Royal Air Force, and a (dark) Blue Ensign may only be flown by the Royal Yacht Squadron (and possibly something to do with "Cowes").

(What is brown and come steaming out of cows? The Isle of White Ferry!)

There is something in my mind that the RAAF and RNZAF, have kiwi and kangaroo images on their standards. ??? Their "White Mice" (F86 Sabre fighter jets) fighting over Vietnam, in the 1960s definitely had these red emblems in place of the inner red circles on our RAF roundels.

I feel that maybe some of the above may not be accurate. Feel free to correct me.

PS, OT. Possibly in the 1980s (?) a model manufacturer produced a small scale model of a LIPTONS TEA van, complete down to a replica of the Royal Coat of Arms.  Buck House promptly objected, saying that while our Royalty did drink Lipton's  tea, they did not play with toy cars. There was a rapid recall of all the distributed stock of these models ... but not before some lucky collectors had acquired a few.

PPS, My mate, the retired Registrar General of Shipping, wrote a book about MILAG, the Merchant Navy Prisoners of War camps. (Barbara is credited with doing the proof reading, and received a personally dedicated copy from the first print run.)  It went to a second print, after which my mate lost interest, as he'd gone into Property Development (now owns lots of rental houses in the Swansea Valley).

This is ON TOPIC, because the cover was red, with part of a Union Jack at a top corner. My mate's logic was that this would stand out, like a sore thumb, to any merchant seaman browsing library shelves.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 02:59:21 PM »

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

On January 7th, thanks to rusty66, I was able to purchase the pennants.

The estimated delivery date was February 8 - February 23.  And I was keeping in mind the postal issue over there.

Today, I get a notice from eBay - the 'new' estimated delivery date is March 8 - March 27!!!!!

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Richard

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5937
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 03:38:20 PM »

Sue 'em!
Richard

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

On January 7th, thanks to rusty66, I was able to purchase the pennants.

The estimated delivery date was February 8 - February 23.  And I was keeping in mind the postal issue over there.

Today, I get a notice from eBay - the 'new' estimated delivery date is March 8 - March 27!!!!!

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(
1964 S2a, 1997 Disco 1, 1978 RRC

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 04:32:21 PM »

Sue 'em!
Richard

:-X  :-X  :-X

I wish I could!!!  It's just frustrating.  It's not the seller's fault either, he sent me proof of shipping the day he shipped it.  I have an upcoming event I want to use these things for and the new estimate dates are pushing it a little too close for comfort.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.