S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The latest project has been collected.  (Read 2631 times)

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
The latest project has been collected.
« on: February 26, 2023, 07:03:36 PM »

That's it another cracker to the collection.
With a very positive reason for acquiring this very nice 1965 109 Station wagon.

Many years ago i tried to find my deceased grandfathers 1962 Dormobile - 888 NJO. Which around 7 years ago i found however the owner had removed the Vin plate and reg numbers and sold as spares or repairs. (which is another story)

So to the current day i have amassed a  great deal of parts and most of the Dormobile fixtures and fittings. So when i spotted Dorris - As named by the previous owners Grandchildren. I thought to myself that would make a cracking base vehicle. So off i went for a trip down to Sutton Bridge to view. 100% as advertised it had to be purchased - so a deal was done & two weeks later off i popped to collect Doris.

Few hours out with the 110 & trailer and Doris is now home. - Straight onto the ramp for a light inspection and immediate change of the wheels and front bumper.

Im going to be keeping a full photo album of the works involved for my own documentation. Im also hoping to randomly share a few on here as the major task get completed..

So in typical fashion ive just ordered a massive selection of bits & bobs so i have something to keep me occupied of a night time.

Big thankyou to the gents involved with the advertising and sale and a Big thankyou to Cathy for letting me bring her home..

Thanks all
JIm :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3375
  • .:
Re: The latest project has been collected.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 07:31:01 PM »

Looks like a cracking project Jim. Congratulations!

Looking forward to seeing your updates on this one!  :cheers

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 8197
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 08:07:05 PM »

Nice
Roads? Who Needs Roads.

Get more than 3 pensioners together and they will form a committee.

Been with the S2C since 2002

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 08:09:21 PM »

Ditching the awful 8 spokes has completely transformed it. Looking really good now.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 08:14:36 PM »

Ditching the awful 8 spokes has completely transformed it. Looking really good now.

Thanks all - front end to be changed next . Will have a cream front panel as that what grandads had.

Few items at the paint booth in preparation. One set of panels is already causing a stir with friends..

Ill try to find the pictures of me aged 6-7 with my head under the bonnet... and get them on here...

Regards
JIM :cheers :cheers :cheers

YM LD

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7479
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 10:30:44 PM »

Sounds like a fun project. I'm always keen to see old photos of dormobiles. In fact I'm keen to see any photos of dormobiles  :essen

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 08:58:38 AM »

Looks good, but the swb bonnet is a bit glaring! Looking forward to seeing progress with it  :cheers
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 08:00:17 PM »

Looks good, but the swb bonnet is a bit glaring! Looking forward to seeing progress with it  :cheers

Indeed - theres  a deluxe dished bonnet ready for repair, then it will be one.. The spare has to be mounted on the bonnet - its the law. I just wish i could do that on the Puma..

Kind regards
JIM :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

lightweightles

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2358
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 04:31:33 PM »

Looks good Jim..I have two dormobiles , a 1961 and a 1967 ..The 1961 is number one of a batch of 4 and was the first land rover to have the 2 1\4  diesel emgine fitted  ... cheers Les :tiphat

Gordon L

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3114
  • .:
  • Yorkshire AO
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 07:18:36 PM »

Nice one Jim . Can't wait to see it when it's finished.  If not before. I will get that material measured up for you ASAP.
Gordon
If it isn't broke you have nothing to fix

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 03:49:32 PM »

Hi Jim,

that's a very pretty Station.

If you need some Dormobile parts, there was someone on here selling a "complete" Dormobile (left hand drive imported to GB) who was unsatisfied that no one was buying at his price. He was considering converting it back to a Station Wagon and selling the Dormobile parts separately.

In fact I wonder if he needs Station Wagon parts and if you could work out a convenient swap?

Let us know if you need any measurements, etc., for example of interior panels or how Martin Walter modified the tub; the bunk dimensions and all that.  I've gathered that there was some variation through the years at Martin Walter, but I guess you'll be doing it up as close as you can to the one you knew as a child, so you know how you want it to be.

-Jeremy

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 08:31:43 PM »

Hi Jim,

that's a very pretty Station.

If you need some Dormobile parts, there was someone on here selling a "complete" Dormobile (left hand drive imported to GB) who was unsatisfied that no one was buying at his price. He was considering converting it back to a Station Wagon and selling the Dormobile parts separately.

In fact I wonder if he needs Station Wagon parts and if you could work out a convenient swap?

Let us know if you need any measurements, etc., for example of interior panels or how Martin Walter modified the tub; the bunk dimensions and all that.  I've gathered that there was some variation through the years at Martin Walter, but I guess you'll be doing it up as close as you can to the one you knew as a child, so you know how you want it to be.

-Jeremy

:first That was indeed me - and yes i still have the left hooker.

I have a complete roof and set of seats for this one all ready - so at the minute as you've guessed the parts from this one will go onto the LHD model..

However Dormobile UK are now aware of the LHD and may have a interested party...

Main jobs are to sort the front end out and get the lights back to where they belong.. Then its time for the roof.. Just awaiting a few bits along with some window seals before it goes on.

Thanks all for the positive comments

JIM :cheers :cheers :cheers

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 02:44:49 PM »

Same person, duh! :thud

Funny, my Dormobile had the 8 spoke wheels in photos from the 90's/00's. Must have been fashionable for a time.

GRMac

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6064
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 05:14:29 PM »

Looks fantastic!

Funnily enough I think I passed you in the opposite direction on the A17 last Sunday and thought to myself that looks too good to be on a trailer  :-X

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 06:45:52 PM »

Looks fantastic!

Funnily enough I think I passed you in the opposite direction on the A17 last Sunday and thought to myself that looks too good to be on a trailer  :-X

Did we wave ??? :o
I passed a few Land Rovers - and was little annoyed when i got to Holdringham roundabout as the A15 was shut as the last Viking link transformer was parked up ready to hit the island

Little bit of progress this week in readiness for the front end swap.
All of the original 888 NJO's front end has been dug out and will tomorrow be washed and scrubbed. Im hoping they come back to life a little as they are covered in numerous layers of 5^1T.

As this is a ongoing project I'm not to worried about paint yet as i know they will all get covered one day. Front panel is all primered after having a replacement lower panel put in.   We have new stud plates for down the sides of the wings and also a set of front mudflaps to go on. Along with new side & indicator assemblies.

Bonnet is on however will come off at some point as it requires some attention to the centre frame.

Some parts of the Dormobile roof (vent catch) have been removed and refurbished. Just awaiting a APC delivery for the new window seals ..

As I'm hoping to pop out for Sunday lunch in Doris - i think the front will be replaced over the course of next week
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 16 queries.