S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The latest project has been collected.  (Read 2633 times)

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
Re: The latest project has been collected.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2023, 06:20:49 PM »

Well i was hoping to go out for Sunday lunch is Doris - but after replacing the starter motor - now the water pump has died.. It would probably run a while as when stood it drips - Turning the engine can stop the drip but i just don't want any hassle. So tomorrow ill start on removing the front - ready for its correct lighting arrangement.

On another note the V5 turned up today and it tells me its a petrol... So ill be cleaning off the engine number and correcting the V5 this week.......

When it rains it pours

Regards JIM :cheers :cheers :cheers

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2023, 07:30:02 PM »

So due to rain today & not touching Doris yesterday i thought id give her a few hours today..

The pictures show the tail.

Top one stripped - bottom one as i left her

So front end all removed, OS outer wing removed from the one off the car and slipped onto the replacement from NJO. Water pump swapped. - A good friend had a  AE item in his stores, so its now fitted. Just waiting for the paint to dry on the front panel & i will get it slipped on with the rad, later this week. There's a metal heater hose that needs swapping for a genuine Land Rover item. As there is a home made copper tube fitted currently.. Every where you look there's a little job to do.

I will then be looking at the N/S foot well as there's amass of pop riveted plates and seam sealer... So i feel some steel work is in order. Weather i put a full repair panel in or just slip some steel in im not sure yet .. As there is a new old stock bulkhead on the shelf painted & ready to go....

So all in all its looking good...

Kind regards JIM

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2023, 07:00:21 PM »

So wings changed, front panel changed, water pump changed, top heater hose changed,  small amount of welding of NS footwell. Little bit of wiring repair & here we are,

Lots of new parts such as indicators, side lams, headlamp bowls, mirrors etc etc and it now looks as it should.. Im in love.
Its not been out the shed but ive had it running on and off for half a hour and all is well. Other than the washer tube has a little split. Roll of new stuff taken off the shelf & ill get on with it tomorrow once its empty, then replenish with screen wash.

Very happy with how it looks. Later apron panel fitted currently just to fill the gap. Earlier item still at the body shop.

Time for me to start looking at the roof. New fixtures and fittings urgently required in a few places, both windows need there new seals and allot of the steel work needs refurbishing... Plenty to do at night !

Regards
JIM  :cheers :cheers :cheers

Gordon L

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3114
  • .:
  • Yorkshire AO
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 09:24:44 PM »

:o
If it isn't broke you have nothing to fix

YM LD

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7479
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2023, 10:36:40 AM »

The rate of progress here is incredible. Great to read, thanks for posting.

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2023, 05:34:46 PM »

The rate of progress here is incredible. Great to read, thanks for posting.

Thankyou for your positive words... And to be fair my Grandparents passed away in 1987 & ive owned the original 109 for quite some time (minus log book) so its time i got my act together.. Even though its not the original - a copy will do & all the family want to see it and use it...  :RHD . However im not that keen on taking it to the south of france...

Any way few miles covered in Doris today. Runs and drives well - but ive changed direction a little. Next job has got to be the overdrive. WAJ 745J has a 2.5 Sherpa nad in her on 750's and OD with a acoustic mat fitted and i cannot believe the difference in the two. Doris is like being front row at a Rock concert at 40 MPH. The engine pulls well so the overdrive will have to be fitted. Just so i retain my hearing for a little longer.

But all is well - very happy with her, Today i got the roof vent reattached & one of the windows re rubbered on the roof, the other will get done before the roof goes on. Once the roof is on & i can park it up with the roof open i will strip and clean the rest of the fixtures & fittings to make it more appealing to sleep in..

But here she is with her newer brother. Home at last

Kind regards all

JIM :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2023, 06:57:38 PM »

Well on we go. Incorrect front seats (110 station wagon middles) removed, Center and N/S seat box lids unstuck (silicon-ed)

Overdrive main box and lever bracket fitted, Just awaiting either a new or modifying the existing shaft that connects the lever to the overdrive.

And now the roof has fell off. The Dormobile roof is on the 2 poster which will make for a easier swap. They are not light..

Now to find someone to retrim the seats..

Regards JIM :cheers :cheers :cheers

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2023, 08:24:09 PM »

What wheels are they, 204s?
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2023, 08:39:31 PM »

Good question, Ill have a look at the numbers tomorrow - luckily i managed to pick up loads of deep dish wheels years ago while working for a major military contractor. I do love a good deep dish wheel no matter what its original fitment...

Kind Regards
JIM :cheers :cheers :cheers

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2023, 07:32:33 PM »

Well at last it finally adorns a roof....

Dormobile Land Rover here we come.

Regards All

A very happy  :cheers :cheers :cheersJIM

YM LD

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7479
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2023, 08:11:51 PM »

Bravo  :o

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2023, 12:27:59 AM »

Good job, man your a fast worker.

Victor
1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2023, 05:31:31 PM »

Yes indeed they are a set of four 204's

Quite week this week, Overdrive fitted, earlier handbrake lever fitted - with the slight kink, Bunks removed. Few little additions, like rear light guards. Bonnet rest bracket finally drilled out & a R clip fitted with a washer and spring. Rear incorrect wheel wheel and bracket removed...

Now some serious time needs to be spent cleaning the roof fabric and also all the conversion steel work. The off side will require a new piece fabricating. But as we need new bunks stitching in and new bunk covers it isnt a issue, It will look good with the roof furniture all repainted..

Still awaiting my van sides from the body shop, Once these are here ill get them in and the roof bolted down properly ....

Lots to do :o

Regards JIM  :cheers :cheers :cheers

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 09:16:44 PM »

Hi

When you make the new bunk covers don't just copy the originals, on my 62 the covers are very generous you can even leave a few blankets in the bunks when you fold them up.
 On the 69 Dormobile went cheap, the covers barely wrap around the folded bunks and they had also shrunk with age I had to make larger ones.

Victor

888NJO

• Chassis welder
    • Jim Bradford
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2023, 09:50:50 AM »

Hi

When you make the new bunk covers don't just copy the originals, on my 62 the covers are very generous you can even leave a few blankets in the bunks when you fold them up.
 On the 69 Dormobile went cheap, the covers barely wrap around the folded bunks and they had also shrunk with age I had to make larger ones.

Victor

That sir is a very worthwhile tip... I shall look into that.. I think today ill get the bunks split ready for blasting..

Many thanks
JIM
 :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.