S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine number query  (Read 405 times)

jacque de lad

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4855
  • .:
Engine number query
« on: March 08, 2023, 04:41:23 PM »

Somewhat off topic, I know, but still some relevance I believe regarding recon engines/DVLA.

I have recently purchased an Ivor Searle reconditioned engine for my latest project, a 1978, MG Midget 1500.
The original engine number, (which is situated on a lip on the top face of the block) has been partially ground off, presumably during the reconditioning process. Some of the number is still visible in a certain light. So my first question is:
Is there some way of retrieving the complete number, possibly by some chemical process maybe??

Ivor Searle have issued this engine with their own number, which is printed in a supplied service record to be filled in at the time of the required service intervals. I assume this number, which bears no resemblance to the original engine number, and is not stamped or marked in any way on the new unit, is purely for their own warranty reference.

I want to notify DVLA of the change in engine number and have it recorded on the V5 but without being able to retrieve it I'm struggling. The number issued by Ivor Searle would be of no use to DVLA, and Ivor Searle say they do not have a record of the original number. I know many vehicles have had engine changes and these changes are often not notified to DVLA but it would be nice to have the correct details on the V5.
Any thoughts on this please   

Phil2014

• Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4721
  • .:
  • Borders area rep
Re: Engine number query
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 04:51:41 PM »

If I have understood you correctly, you can supply the new engine number to DVLA, I’ve just reregistered a long dormant series 2 which had a replacement engine fitted in the early seventies, I gave the new serial number on the brass plate, which is now on the v5. My apologies if that wasn’t what you were asking.
Phil.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 05:42:35 PM »

^^^^

Just give the DVLA the number of your reconditioned engine.

There is a chemical solution which can be used to try and visualise ground off stamped numbers....
Fry's Reagent
A rather fetching shade of green.

:scientist
Who's a then ?

Ian F

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7756
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 05:52:28 PM »

I assume this is not your original engine, otherwise the number would be on the BMH certificate for the car.

Ian F
1961 SWB Basic petrol 2.25

jacque de lad

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4855
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 07:44:29 PM »

I assume this is not your original engine, otherwise the number would be on the BMH certificate for the car.

Ian F

OK just to clarify, it is the engine number on the replacement (Ivor Searle, recon engine) unit that I am wanting to recover so I can inform DVLA. This has been partially ground off. I am seeking to establish what this number is so I can get it put on the V5. Wittsends  Fry's Reagent stuff sounds like it might do the trick if I can get hold of some. Thanks

twomokes

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 13
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 08:01:30 PM »

My understanding, from my Mini days, was it was a legal requirement for engine reconditioners to remove the original engine number and replace with their own before resale.
Res tam malae sunt quam putas, et inimici re vera te persequuntur

"quotEducatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis"quot

Member No13

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 08:08:08 PM »

I dont know for other marques but  according to a service bulletin the following applies.

Land rover factory reconditioned engines have the number machined off and the fitting dealer should stamp the engine with the original engine number.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.