S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 cylinder engine wisdom  (Read 797 times)

Mycroft

6 cylinder engine wisdom
« on: March 12, 2023, 02:33:10 PM »

I'm looking at buying my first 6 pot 109" IIa.

The truck has a later series III 6-cyl engine fitted. Any view on whether these are better/worse/pretty much the same as the original engine would have been? Anything in particular to look for?

The truck potentially comes with a spare engine and gearbox, but I don't know how likely it is I'll need spares or how difficult any particular bits are to source.

Thanks for any help (other than "replace it with a TDi")!

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
Re: 6 cylinder engine wisdom
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 02:48:54 PM »

No different really. Later S3 engines have a viscous fan, even later ones have emissions control gear (basically just s compressor pump which injects fresh air into thr exhaust...). Carbs and other ancillaries pretty much the same as 2a really, the important thing is having all the LR specific bits but these would be the same on a S3 unit.

Spares are getting harder to find, certainly compared to 2.25 bits. The spare engine might have all the same bits worn as yours may have? Still, probably worth getting if you can and you have the space to store it.

Lovely engines, enjoy it if you get it!

Mycroft

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 03:14:34 PM »

No different really. Later S3 engines have a viscous fan, even later ones have emissions control gear (basically just s compressor pump which injects fresh air into thr exhaust...). Carbs and other ancillaries pretty much the same as 2a really, the important thing is having all the LR specific bits but these would be the same on a S3 unit.

Spares are getting harder to find, certainly compared to 2.25 bits. The spare engine might have all the same bits worn as yours may have? Still, probably worth getting if you can and you have the space to store it.

Lovely engines, enjoy it if you get it!

Thanks Calum, that's great. I've always loved 6 cylinder engines, so am fascinated, if slightly apprehensive! As you say, the spare might have exactly the same issues - and is also from a series III. Storage almost non-existent here, so I may pass.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 06:48:01 PM »

I'd strongly recommend getting the spare engine if at all possible, if anything goes wrong with the engine in the car it will save months of searching plus eye watering expense trying to get replacements.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

Mycroft

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 07:05:55 PM »

I'd strongly recommend getting the spare engine if at all possible, if anything goes wrong with the engine in the car it will save months of searching plus eye watering expense trying to get replacements.
I know you're right. Just logistics. I haven't hit him with my offer yet, so all to play for!

angello

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6659
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 02:38:07 PM »

If you can't use the spare engine and 'box I reckon I could!
As I'm sure you know, these sixes are wonderfully smooth and sonorous - a real peach  :first Torquey beasts too. They feel like they could pull the surface off the earth in low range. Very relaxing to drive, though not perceptibly 'quicker' than a 2.25 petrol. They do have a bit of a thirst though...
Something of a reputation for getting hot... with inevitable head gasket failure owing to the aluminium head warping.... and most wore out or failed due to lack of maintenance and were replaced with diesels, so a survivor is something to relish. They do not appreciate poor maintenance of the cooling system, so check that it's got decent, clean antifreeze in it.

Mycroft

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 03:07:04 PM »

Cheers Angello, that's great advice. Yes, I can only imagine the thirst! I'm not even sure how I'd transport the spare engine and box tbh. Thanks for posting  :tiphat

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 06:03:17 PM »

Thirst- LPG conversion? Would bring running costs more in line with the 2.25 petrol four.

Mycroft

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 06:10:44 PM »

Not for me personally. I'm not so bothered about the fuel consumption as its only a holidays and high days thing. Plus LPG seems to be going the way of 2-star and side valves these days.

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 06:49:38 PM »

I've had mine on the road for 14 years and kept fuel consumption records. It's between 16.5 and 17.5 miles per Imperial gallon, depending on the mechanical/electrical condition of various systems, terrain, load and temperature (in winter it can easily drop to 14 miles per Imp. Gal).

It's always a big shock when I switch from driving my 86" (2 L petrol) to my Dormobile. Even switching from the modern Subaru boxer diesel is a surprise. The Dormobile is so smooth and quiet compared to either. A bit lumbering, but because of the low-end torque, you hardly have to shift gears, which is relaxing.

The engine does burn oil. And spares cost more than for a 2.25L, but still less than for a modern car.

The sixpot owners here can give tips on where to get spares.

I understand not wanting to store a spare engine (though I do have a spare gearbox) and I hope the extra one finds a good home and isn't scrapped.

Mycroft

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 06:56:48 PM »

Cheers JK. If possible and I go ahead with it, I'll see if I can just grab the spare gearbox, manifold and ancillaries.

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 05:21:29 PM »

Thirst- LPG conversion? Would bring running costs more in line with the 2.25 petrol four.

Hi Herald1360, unless you're a high mileage user I can`t see how it makes any financial sense.

Just to recoup the costs of the LPG installation you`d need to travel many many miles before even thinking of saving on fuel costs. How many of us do that kind mileage in our Series II? And then there's the problem of finding an LPG station on your high mileage journeys.

I`ve done it with a Disco 1 V8, never again     :shakeinghead
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 07:39:13 PM »

LPG outlets are rapidly decreasing. My local Shell station no longer sells it. I don't think there's anywhere local here that does.
I agree that it's not worth it now. You'd have to do thousands of miles to recoup the cost of installation.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Sheepman

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4270
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2023, 07:10:58 PM »

There is a facebook page group for 6 cyl L R's may be worth joining if you are looking for parts or need to know stuff

Mycroft

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2023, 07:16:48 PM »

That's a great idea - ta. I feel I've learnt a lot already from help here (esp Gordon!). Sadly, I'm a fair distance away from the vendor on price, so this particular one is hanging in the balance, but I won't be so afraid of the 6-pot in future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 17 queries.