S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do with your Series 2 in April ?  (Read 1775 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
What did you do with your Series 2 in April ?
« on: April 23, 2023, 12:27:22 PM »

Sorry folks, bit of an admin issue and I have accidentally deleted posts made this month  :'(

Please feel free to carry ....

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 02:52:13 PM »

In a bid to improve the "out of sight" storage I've replaced the (rusty, leaking) fuel tank under the passenger seat with another old tank, cleaned up, a hole cut in the top and the interior lined with foam. Plan is for a spare can of fuel, tools, oil etc to be stowed there, easily accessible when required but not floating about in the back...  The other 10 gal tank under the drivers side is enough for my purposes, gives a range of about 200 miles which is longer than I can go without stopping for a comfort break anyway !

Now its installed I can better judge how best to put a lid on it, maybe put a finishing strip on the cut edges.
I've removed the bung underneath so if water does splash up it'll drain out naturally.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 10:19:42 AM »

Am I allowed to post series one pictures here....  :cheers

Made the front of my 86" chassis look a bit more like the front of an 86" chassis...

Craig.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 10:47:41 AM »

You can post pictures of prototypes on here, but you must then go and say 12 Hail Marys.

As I'm in the middle of building a 1949 Series 1 freewheel gearbox, I had better take the plank out of my own eye first...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Mycroft

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 10:51:47 AM »

Am I allowed to post series one pictures here....  :cheers

Made the front of my 86" chassis look a bit more like the front of an 86" chassis...

Craig.

Looks great - that long clamp really is strong enough to cope with a chassis?! Impressive  :o

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 11:03:56 AM »

That clamp was strong enough, just. It was right on the limit I think though!

The chassis legs had sprung apart about 1/4" at the front when we cut the remains of the old crossmember out. I was looking for a ratchet strap to pull it together but can't find them so tried these clamps.

It held on long enough to get some tack welds on. Ran out of time Saturday though so final welding will take place next weekend hopefully.
Spent most of the day with tape measures, spirit levels, laser lines etc. making sure everything was in the right place before tack welding. Pretty convinced I'm within 1mm of being right so within tolerance I'm sure.

Craig.

Mycroft

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 11:25:44 AM »

That clamp was strong enough, just. It was right on the limit I think though!

The chassis legs had sprung apart about 1/4" at the front when we cut the remains of the old crossmember out. I was looking for a ratchet strap to pull it together but can't find them so tried these clamps.

It held on long enough to get some tack welds on. Ran out of time Saturday though so final welding will take place next weekend hopefully.
Spent most of the day with tape measures, spirit levels, laser lines etc. making sure everything was in the right place before tack welding. Pretty convinced I'm within 1mm of being right so within tolerance I'm sure.

Craig.

:o

What welding machine/system do you use?

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 12:19:41 PM »

I use a Weco Discovery 160 MK welder with a large argon / Co2 cylinder from Gas UK.

It is a lovely welder. Takes the really big 15Kg rolls of 0.8mm wire and just seems to work very well for me.
I struggled for years with the cheapest at the time, SIP welder but I then went to the local welding supply shop and in conversation said, I can't get on with MIG welding and he said, have a go on this.... Long story short, I walked out the door with the demonstrator welder.

You don't need the full power for Land Rover chassis as you will melt right through it, even the new 3mm plates don't take 160 amps to melt. I have also used it for bulkhead repairs and so long as you go in short bursts to reduce the heat, it gives a great result.

I do have a TIG welder as well that could be used but to be honest, MIG is perfect for chassis repairs. Quick, neat and easy.

Craig.

Mycroft

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 12:33:46 PM »

I use a Weco Discovery 160 MK welder with a large argon / Co2 cylinder from Gas UK.

It is a lovely welder. Takes the really big 15Kg rolls of 0.8mm wire and just seems to work very well for me.
I struggled for years with the cheapest at the time, SIP welder but I then went to the local welding supply shop and in conversation said, I can't get on with MIG welding and he said, have a go on this.... Long story short, I walked out the door with the demonstrator welder.

You don't need the full power for Land Rover chassis as you will melt right through it, even the new 3mm plates don't take 160 amps to melt. I have also used it for bulkhead repairs and so long as you go in short bursts to reduce the heat, it gives a great result.

I do have a TIG welder as well that could be used but to be honest, MIG is perfect for chassis repairs. Quick, neat and easy.

Craig.

Nice! I knew it was going to be something impressive and above my pay grade!

Ian Cunnington

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7462
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 12:36:15 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good ARGON gas cylinder supplier that has no rental agreements?
My welding will be few and far between - I suppose I could buy disposables

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 01:09:05 PM »

I've used Albee gas for a number of years. Its not one of those ludicrous BOC type contracts. On the first purchase you buy the cylinder as well as the gas. Thats the expensive bit. Then you just swap it for refills and just pay for the gas. If you want to give up the cylinder, they buy it back off you.
https://albeegascylinders.com/suppliers.php

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 01:10:34 PM »

I used to use Hobbyweld but my local supplier has swapped over to Gas UK.
https://hobbyweld.co.uk/
https://gas-uk.co.uk/index.php/rent-free-gas-cylinders/welding-gas

Both much the same thing really. You pay a fairly large deposit then pay for the gas in the cylinder. Each time you need to swap it you only pay for the gas then when you get too old and can't be bothered anymore, take the cylinder back and get the deposit refunded.

The Gas UK deposits are around £100 but so long as you hang onto the paper contract, you will get that back one day.

If you are MIG welding go for an Argon 5 mix cylinder. 93% Argon, 5% Carbon Dioxide, 2% Oxygen
Only use the pure Argon for TIG welding. It will work on MIG but a bit wasted to be honest.

Craig.

Ian Cunnington

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 01:17:03 PM »

Thanks Craig, I was going to have a go at Ally welding with my Mig welder, as it looks like its supported, I don;t mind the "deposit" fee, as you say you can get most of it back.
Also have the usual suspect of rad panel to repair with standard mig :-)

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 01:27:45 PM »

Always fancied trying ally MIG welding on mine.
What do you need other than ally wire and Argon gas?

Craig.

Ian Cunnington

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 02:08:42 PM »

Thats all you need as far as I can tell, just need ARGON and ally wire - I have a mig refresher on Saturday for 4 hours (can't remember last time I welded) might chat to the instructor about it while I'm there
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.