S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Its not 2 late  (Read 1616 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Its not 2 late
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2023, 04:39:00 PM »

1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2023, 05:07:35 PM »

I read about electric cars in china the other month, over there they just swap the batteries out at stations rather than charging. they have dedicated stations that swap the entire battery compartment in about 3 minutes. seems pretty sensible to me.
wonder if they're on a leasing system too though? ???

battery charging is a challenge for EVs I reckon, I'd like the see the old victorian terraced street I lived on handle EV charging, you couldn't even park outside your own house 90% of the time.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2023, 06:41:34 PM »

I was talking with some of the National Park planners earlier in the week, they were presenting plans for Tourism Infrastructure locally. ALL their plans were based on a drastic reduction in the number of cars, current parking places being turned into green spaces, new "hubs" in the countryside with bus turning places but only a dozen car parking spots. The particular example was at a location where a busy Bank Holiday currently sees a mile of cars parked in both the verges, where the Police have closed the road several times in recent years due to the road being clogged to the point that emergency vehicles were unable to get through..... I told them they were being "wildly optimistic". One of their consultants responded that they were "looking for a modal change". I asked what were the plans for the railway or bus service then, who was going to provide it and would it cope with umpteen families each bringing 4 bikes ?  Silence.

It seems to me that there is some confused thinking based around equating all cars as being ICE powered so bad and nasty. There is a shift towards non ICE vehicles - but people will still expect the same freedom of movement that a car gives them ?     
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2023, 08:30:24 PM »

I read about electric cars in china the other month, over there they just swap the batteries out at stations rather than charging. they have dedicated stations that swap the entire battery compartment in about 3 minutes. seems pretty sensible to me.
wonder if they're on a leasing system too though? ???

battery charging is a challenge for EVs I reckon, I'd like the see the old victorian terraced street I lived on handle EV charging, you couldn't even park outside your own house 90% of the time.
I think there where some battery swap stations trialed in a Scandinavian county I cannot recall but it did not work.
Most EV's would take a lot longer than three minutes to change.
For it to work the major manufacturers would have to co-operate on a standard system. And this would have to include things like connections, fixings, safety procedures etc.

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2023, 08:37:08 PM »

I rode in a Renault in Israel that had a battery swap system. Was not successful.

Chris.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.