S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Body Wrapping?  (Read 1030 times)

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
Re: Body Wrapping?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2023, 09:06:40 AM »

Personally, I'd give it a go.
If you were going to try wrapping yourself then buy a small test piece of vinyl, clean the panel, stick it on and see what you think.

The Land rover body is pretty much flat panels so should be easy enough to do. I applied satin black vinyl to the window frames of my P38 Range Rover as the paint finish had gone all grey and that still looks great 2 years later.

If you were thinking of using a professional company for the wrap, I suspect they will say no, we can't apply onto primer and guarantee the results. If it all peels off a year down the line and you then try to claim they didn't do it properly it could get difficult for them.

Craig.

alchad

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6825
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2023, 09:45:41 AM »

Personally - as your problem seems to be not enough time, I’d apply the old 80/20 rule - You get 80% of the benefit for 20% of the effort, it’s the last 20% that’s takes 80% of the time. So a perfect job is going to require time in sanding down again, maybe some bodywork repairs, undercoating, then masking all off, then painting. Days of work which you don’t have apparently.

Alternatively spend a few hours sanding down, another hour or so masking then just paint it, mainly flat panels, easy job. Result it looks 80% better than it does now with little effort. OK it’s not the job you were hoping for but by the sound of it that’s a bit of a dream for the immediate future??

Alchad

strang

• Chassis welder
  • Euro-leafing to infinity and beyond
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2023, 07:07:20 PM »

I remember seeing a lightweight wrapped in some kind of camo style (not the usual Black and Green and not DPM either) at an LATP many years ago. No idea what it cost, and no pictures either sadly - but it looked rather good.

• Master of the oils
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2023, 12:59:58 PM »

.... hmmmm

I wonder if they do chequer plate wrap ???

:bright-idea

be careful what you wish for!

re wrap, I can envisage a mess not too far down the line, think shrink wrapped electrolytic bubbling powder mess
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.