S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: £385.00 labour bill  (Read 652 times)

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
£385.00 labour bill
« on: May 17, 2023, 03:04:56 PM »

That's the labour charge I paid today for having a suspension rebuild, new parabolics, shocks and all the bushes. I was expecting considerably more. I dropped the Land Rover off Tuesday 16th May 9.30am and collected it the next day 1.30pm.The ride has been transformed. All parts were ordered from Dingocroft because I can speak to very helpful people there. Everything slotted together perfectly and as the bolts had been smeared with copper grease when the original parabolics were fitted about 20 years ago, they came out easily.
The inexplicable loss of power experienced when driving to have the fitting was a split vacuum advance pipe
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: £385.00 labour bill
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 07:28:55 PM »

That sounds like a fair price for a lot of work. Not something that everybody wants to do in their front garden! Is it a garage who regularly does LR work? If so, maybe we should tell people locally of a friendly workshop. Not all are so keen on working on the older stuff.

And I keep meaning to add every time you post something and I see your post footer, that being born wasn't your first mistake. Unless I'm very much mistaken myself, you probably had very limited control over that aspect of your life! I know for a fact that my biggest mistake was getting involved with Land Rovers in the beginning, but there's no turning the clock back now!
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 07:36:57 PM »

Yes, it's Ian (don't know his surname) based at Grateley about 4:miles south of Andover in Hampshire. He trades as ASV and deals with all types of Land Rover.  He did my bulkhead in June 2020 and charged £1,440 for labour. When I collected mine this afternoon he had a Discovery 3 on the ramp with a very crusty underside. He has removed the body on a Disco 3. He knows what he's doing.
He's out in the sticks but near the railway station and I can use one of the three buses a day for free to get there.

Woodenman

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7716
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 07:55:04 PM »

Alan being nosy how much did you pay in parts for the rebuild roughly, I have broken rear springs and as per everything it needs a overhaul maybe parabolic springs from leaf (more expensive but might save my back slightly over the bumps). I have looked at Sandersons for the springs that come in just shy of £400 but i bet there are allot of extra bits :)
1967 Series 2a 88 Ragtop suffix D

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 08:19:24 PM »

The total cost including carriage was £885.94 including club discount from Dingocroft. This was for 4 parabolic British made springs with U bolts.4 extended shocks, all new bolts and nuts and chassis bushes.

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 06:55:05 PM »

Funnily enough my mate bought an old Volvo estate. V70 ? Diesel and had a full service and water pump change and it was £600 all up which I thought was ok.

Woodenman

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7716
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 07:41:43 PM »

That dont seem to bad tbh. Alan how do you find the parabolic springs as a long term user? I have nothing against leaf but as im working my way through are they really just an easier to live with upgrade? im not a rivet counter so no worries from that aspect.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 08:05:50 PM »

The previous springs were by Chris Perfect and were fitted in about 2,000. I noticed immediately that the ride is definitely not as firm as conventional leafers, and the suspension is more compliant and the Land Rover is slightly higher. Some kits offer camber correcting wedges but mine didn't. Towing isn't affected. There are no rusty leaves to worry about.
IMHO they're worth it but you need to get a good make. I was offered a choice and chose British made springs. I can't remember the name but it did include the word metal. They were delivered straight from the manufacturer. I've only driven 4 miles from Ian's to home but I noticed the improvement over the old very worn springs and bushes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.