S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gearbox - what have I got and what to do with it?  (Read 1741 times)

rusty66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3939
  • .:
Gearbox - what have I got and what to do with it?
« on: December 18, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »

Greetings all,

As part of a swap deal I have acquired a gearbox. The question is, should I use it, is it suitable for my 1964 Series, and does it make sense to use it (strength, etc.), or might there even be better use for it (period correct resto etc.).

Well, the box is Rover recon NOS, if you can say that. At some time it has been reconditioned and not been used since then. From some surfing the net I think it is a (late?) Series I or early S2 box. It looks a bit different from the original box in my Landy, dipstick, two clutch holes, and the like.

What do you advise?

The lever looks to me belonging to a S3. I have an earlier lever as spare that I could attach. Or is this the correct lever for this sort of box?

Many thanks,
Boris

1964 SWB
1964 LWB Carawagon

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
Re: Gearbox - what have I got and what to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 05:31:51 PM »

I take it the top bellhousing hole is in the middle - if there's no hole in the middle but the top 2 are equidistant from the middle it fits an ioe engine (ie 6 cylinder or 2 litre 4)

Bent transfer lever suggests later s2a.  Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder attached to the RHS suggests S2/2a.  The sleeve connecting the clutch shaft at the gearbox end was changed from squashed to round at some stage in the early 60's.  Straight gearlever is probably S3 - S2 one fits.

rusty66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3939
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »

Thanks, the top bellhousing hole is indeed in the middle. The gearbox is different in several aspects from the one that is currently fitted and two others that I have got (sturdier clutch slave cylinder bracket, two holes for the clutch shaft, dipstick, probably some more.

It seems to be made for an earlier/other type of Series Landy and I was wondering if, so to say, it was a "waste" of a rare/special part if I fitted it to my 1964 model.

And/or if another (later) box is better suited to a 1964 Series 2a. Maybe it is of some value to someone with a very original resto in mind, but not necessarily the best option for a working, non-concours 2a? I have two other spare boxes that are identical to the one that is fitted and that I have stored to refurbish at some time.

If it's just as good as a 1964 S2a box, though, and it's nothing too special I'll keep it and eventually fit it to my Landy. Should be in very good working order and saves me work and money to refurbish another one.

RE the stick: If I understand you correctly, I can just swap that for the bent one that I have? It's not meant to be on that box? As I have a bent one currently in the Landy that is what will stay. But again, if the stick belongs to the spare gearbox, pulling it off would be a shame.

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 10:05:15 PM »

Going by the 2 clutch shaft holes it will most likely have the smaller  weaker lay shaft bearing, as used on S1 and S2 boxes. What is the serial number ? Are there matching marks on the top cover and casing?  (If it's a factory reconditioned box the original serial number has probably been ground off)
.W.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.