S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blow torch recommendations please  (Read 4815 times)

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
Re: Blow torch recommendations please
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »

I'm using a Mapp gas bottle from Toolstation.

Thanks.

DLH

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3594
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 05:19:32 PM »

Hi I work for Rothenberger and suggest you try your local plumbers merchant as we sometimes do deals with the gas in a package (hot bag)
 or even look on line.
Hope this helps
David

Gritstoner

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2742
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 05:45:45 PM »

I have a Bullfinch, it has a long flexible pipe and runs off a propane bottle.  They're expensive new but you could probably get a secondhand one off Ebay for a good price.

G-Mack

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 10:23:12 PM »

i have different experience with rothenberger mapp torch, had 2 stuck studs in exhaust and the mapp couldn't shift them! took it to my friendly mechanic who gave it 3 to 5 seconds with oxy/ecet and it was off!! it's still a nice torch though for less stubborn stuff!!

582LTR

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 616
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2020, 06:59:49 AM »

Just to let people know where I went in the end. I had to balance cost/amount of use/usefulness. I hadn’t appreciated just how different MAPP was - but do now. The amount of use this torch would get as a hobbyist couldn’t justify the more expensive torches. Tool station had an offer on a torch with two nozzles and gas. I went with this and managed to release the stuck item.

Thank you for your advise.

Martin

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2020, 07:32:06 AM »

How about freezer spray for delicate parts , a garage owner chum of mine used it for stock spark plugs with success , we used to use it on pcbs to  stress test suspect joints ,avionics systems ,
Chris

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 08:36:20 AM »

I have a rothereberg torch , really good but I have added the fine tip nozzle which makes it much more useful. Not sure if you can get them now? Love the click to fire up button.

Just wondering if a cooks tiny unit may be the answer for controllability?

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »

The tiny pinpoint torches are useful for some stuff, I got one a couple of quid off ebay, refillable from cig lighter gas,  i actually wanted it for small soldering jobs on model railway parts ( but thats another story!) ...it has been great on occasion to accurately heat a single bolt for instance without having big flames everywhere!

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »

The problem I have always had with torches that use disposable gas bottles, is that they’re always empty when I go to use them. I think they make sense if you need the portability and use them regularly, but if you’re an occasional user then they can work out expensive and tiresome.

I have a Bullfinch torch, on a hose, that connects to a propane bottle. A 15kg one in the workshop has lasted about 15 years so far, and a 5kg bottle provides portability when needed. The key thing being that the bottles have their own isolating valve.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »

I have access to a couple of other torches at work. We have a big bullfinch  type connected to a gas bottle, with various sizes of nozzle, plus oxy-acetylene.

In the end I decided that I couldn't justify the space and hassle of lugging a big bottle type torch around. I also liked the increased heat intensity of the MAPP torch - smaller flame with higher temperature meant less extraneous heating and a quicker job. Oxy-acetylene would be the ultimate on this but not very practical for the domestic user!

I didn't know you could get a fine nozzle for the Rothenberger torch. I will have to see if I can find one. In the meantime I use a chef's blowtorch, refilled with lighter gas, for fine work. I have used that successfully for lead burning, being hugely more convenient up on a roof so long as you pick a still day. It will also do a decent job when re-tinning parts which were originally tin electroplated, such as the fuel tank float.

Alec
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.