S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dormobile Series 2  (Read 3786 times)

Davidadamsaustralia

Dormobile Series 2
« on: January 09, 2020, 01:18:03 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I hope it's ok to utilise the forum to try and find a particular Landy, as we (my wife and I and three boys currently 7,5 & 3) have a grand plan!!.

We live in Sydney Australia and in late 2021 we are coming to spend a year in UK/Europe, before 'possibly' (routes through Africa dependent) driving via Kenya to Cape Town over a further 6 months.

We want to do all this in a Series 2 Dormobile, and at the end, we would ship the Dormobile back to Australia.

I was born in '63 and my Dad bought a series 2 wagon in '67 to explore FNQ (Far North Queensland) - which he had already done extensively in a 55 Hillman - but was transferred to Sydney and sold the Landy in '68.

So.. a '63 or '67 would be of sentimental value. 

I have undertaken may expeditions across the world, however I am not a mechanic and so we are not after a restoration project (nor logistically do we have the time). Having said that we don't want something not original - for example with a new TDI diesel in it. We are after a complete original in good order that is capable of making such a trip. I would be undertaking a full service etc  etc ect before departure.

In short we are looking for a real beauty that someone has put a lot of love and time into that is still up to the challenge with all the original Dormobile fit-out intact and I guess really likes the idea of this adventure as the next chapter of their Landy's life - budget is up to around 20K Sterling.

Also open to suggestions, such as an owner might like to come to Kenya and go on Safari in their old Dormobile for a couple of weeks / months while we are there !!!!

So, as I said, I hope its Ok to put this out on your forum!!.

If anyone hears of something like the above I would be most grateful.

We would look to purchase and store in UK until we arrived - perhaps as part of the deal.

Many thanks David

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
Re: Dormobile Series 2
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »

Hi,

To find a camper conversion, you may have more luck by posting to the Classic Land Rover Camper forum:

http://www.rms1.co.uk/lrcc/forum/

-Jeremy

rusty66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3939
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 08:49:33 AM »

I’ve got a 1964 Carawagon in very good and pretty original condition. I’ve not really planned to selling it though. But you could come back to me if nothing turns up.
Quite brave to go by Series, not least because of petrol costs ... and limited space. I’ve been a few times to Morocco, Portugal, Scandinavia, etc with my wife and three kids. In several Defenders. And prior on my own in a 109 diesel. It’s a challenge to say the least. The remaining two kids and the wife are much happier with the current Hilux.
Cool idea though. Good luck!
1964 SWB
1964 LWB Carawagon

rusty66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3939
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 09:30:51 AM »

That is a carawagon roof and the hardtop windows are also carawagon.  I presume the whole thing is carawagon.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »

That is a carawagon roof and the hardtop windows are also carawagon.  I presume the whole thing is carawagon.

That's what he said, Peter   :cheers

I’ve got a 1964 Carawagon in very good and pretty original condition.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:52:20 AM »

Not firing on allcylinders Robin, I have got the lurgy.

Peter

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »

David, although you are looking for an original engine, it may still be worth considering a more modern engine. I have a 1970 2A dormobile with an original six cylinder petrol engine which is good for 11 or 12 miles per gallon and am considering fitting a 2.5 diesel 300tdi which will hopefully substantially improve economy. I will of course keep all the original engine etc so that it can be returned to original in the future. With the mileage that you will be doing it has to be worth considering. Dave

Gordon L

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3114
  • .:
  • Yorkshire AO
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 09:33:36 PM »

David, they do pop up for sale and your estimated budget is about right to secure one in nice condition. There is a dedicated Face Book page 'The Dormobile Club' which would put you into a larger pool of owners and The Land Rover Series 2 Club Face Book page also increases the potential contact with continental owners.
Good luck with your search and please come join the Yorkshire area members of the club for a camping weekend whilst you're here.
Gordon, Yorkshire Area Organiser ... and Dormobile owner

If it isn't broke you have nothing to fix

Davidadamsaustralia

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 11:50:18 PM »

Many thanks everyone, I will follow up the leads. We still have a good 18 months so please let me know if you hear tell of something interesting.

Best wishes David

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »

Hi David

That sounds like a great trip idea. I have 2 Dormobiles but not exactly the years you want and I am on the wrong continent.
 I can understand the sentimental value thing I have my Dads 62 Dormobile that he in bought in 64 after it came back from Africa and would love to one day do a long road trip in it. Maybe to Alaska.
  I also have a 69 Nada Dormobile that I am restoring which will be done this summer (I hope) it will probably go up for sale as I can not keep 2 Dormobiles.

Good luck with your search they are out there but becoming harder to find all the time.

Victor

1964 Dormobile in hibernation and 1969 Nada dormobile in pieces.
1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 06:32:17 PM »

Hello David,
I just sent you an email, check your SPAM folder if you don't have one called "Dormobile for sale in Switzerland".

I just learned that my friend here (Lucerne, Switzerland) is selling his 1962, left hand drive (converted) Dormobile. It's a 4 cylinder petrol 2.25L, Roamerdrive overdrive. He rebuilt the engine, gearbox, rear axle. It's not been used a lot, since. He's an extremely experienced and passionate classic car restorer/owner/driver who has to reduce his collection to make space.

A Swiss inspection is very strict. It can't prevent an electrical ghost or broken halfshaft from popping up 1,000 miles later, but it will ensure a rust-free, extremely clean vehicle with no oil leaks, good brakes, bearings, springs, shocks, steering, and momentarily functioning electrics anyway.

I can send you private contact details if you're interested, but I think he needs it sold and moved out soon.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.