S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: What you did with your Series 2 in April.  (Read 26322 times)

Bemm52

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6372
  • .:
  • 1966 2A 88" Quids or Dollars?
What you did with your Series 2 in April.
« on: April 01, 2020, 08:53:26 AM »

Used it for a back drop for my “floral arrangement “ photo for the wife’s garden club competition. 🤪

They are posting assorts of flowery things as we are confined to home for the next four weeks....my car builds are going to rocket ahead :-X

Cheers Paul

• Gear shifter
  • .:
What have you done with your Series 2 today ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 10:55:04 AM »

Used it for a back drop for my “floral arrangement “ photo for the wife’s garden club competition. 🤪

They are posting assorts of flowery things as we are confined to home for the next four weeks....my car builds are going to rocket ahead :-X

Surely to be a real fair dinkum Aussie flower display they should be in a beetroot tin??

When I lived in Australia, whist I was rummaging in fellow Land Rover enthusiasts sheds my wife would keep herself amused by counting how many beetroot tins she could see in each shed.  I don't know what her record was, but there was always at least one tin in every shed.

David.

Bemm52

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
Re: What have you done with your Series 2 today ?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:14:50 PM »

Happy to say there are none in my shed....I hate the stuff :tiphat

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:44:14 PM »

A nice leisurely drive out to work and back.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 06:36:50 AM »

I bet it was a bit eerie at 3 am, only you and the police cars on the road.

Keep safe

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »

Strong smell of petrol traced to deteriorated rubber fuel pipe. Replaced with ethanol proof pipe (yesterday) and now all good. Today escaped to allotment (an allowed activity) to do a bit of work, not much on the roads.
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 02:30:52 PM »

I was welding up the elongated holes in the accelerator linkage, when I decided to investigate why the weld wire wasn't passing through, looks like the roller is worn. Sat down upstairs with a pin and started to pick the dirt out of the corrugations in the roller (well we are in lockdown), but eventually decided I had better things to do with my life, so ordered a new roller. If it turns up, we'll see.
Tim

gvo416j R.I.P.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »

Did a bit more to the 1973 S3 which I am rebuilding using some late S3 parts and a lot of parts from my 2A bitsa dormobile auto which was destroyed by an in-attentive toyota driver.

It's not going to be a concours specimen at all, just a daily driver, "summat like" as they say around here. I will eventually paint it though as you tend to get less attention from the police if the colours match.

The bulkhead, drivetrain and most of the front end has been transferred after bashing out the drivers side wing, and replacement front panel, slam panel plus bonnet are in place.

Todays job was making brackets to hold the new gearbox oil cooler. The old one was damaged and it was impossible to get the correct temp.sensor for a similar one. This proved to be a right pain as it appears most are now fitted to the boxes and the only sensors I could find were NPT thread.

Just waiting for a single hydraulic fitting now and then I can sort out the pipework.

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »

I bet it was a bit eerie at 3 am, only you and the police cars on the road.

Keep safe

Peter
I've seen three police cars in the past week or so. Not one has stopped me, and i have my works letter at the ready. If you need anything dropping off let me know.
Keep well yourself and family.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »

Started poking about in a gearbox which I took out of a breaker. Was only intending to check it out, but got a bit carried away. Placed an order on Craddock's for a whole heap of bits - just hoping they have enough in stock without having to rely on Britpart/Allmakes. One point - they carry (or I can order) significantly more of the odd little gearbox bits than can be had from some of the bigger players. Also I did a price analysis comparing with some of my usual trade suppliers (all of whom are resting at present...). Turns out that even with trade pricing, the Craddock pricing was really quite competitive. Just hoping they can deliver the order now!
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Daisythelandy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5411
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 08:42:51 PM »

Final coat of paint on the drivers footwell so I can get the pedal boxes refitted and the new master cylinders all plumbed in. Hopefully these M/cylinders won't leak and ruin the paint like the twenty year old ones did.
Turned the engine over on the starter, the solar charger certainly keeps the battery in good order as I've done this every few months for the past few years.
Aiming for a summer rebirth for Daisy.

Dave.
Dave and Daisy the 66 Landie.
Over 30 years of ownership and still smiling..

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 06:07:50 AM »

Started poking about in a gearbox which I took out of a breaker. Was only intending to check it out, but got a bit carried away. Placed an order on Craddock's for a whole heap of bits - just hoping they have enough in stock without having to rely on Britpart/Allmakes. One point - they carry (or I can order) significantly more of the odd little gearbox bits than can be had from some of the bigger players. Also I did a price analysis comparing with some of my usual trade suppliers (all of whom are resting at present...). Turns out that even with trade pricing, the Craddock pricing was really quite competitive. Just hoping they can deliver the order now!

That’s a great picture diffwhine , hope Craddocks can deliver as I’m about to order some bits too. I’m doing the oil seal on the intermediate shaft in the transfer box and also output shaft seal . Wish mine was that clean 😀
Will your intermediate shaft be ok to use ? Only asking as mine is in a similar state and I’m no engineer

Bemm52

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 06:17:42 AM »

looked at these and then got sidetracked  :whistle

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »

Thanks Betsy1969. It took a bit of cleaning! I actually bunged up my parts washer in the process. Its one of those 3.5 Gallon cheapo jobbies. That was after I'd cleaned the box off in diesel first! Interesting to note that when I took my parts washer apart, I discovered that the pump is just a standard pond pump! No pre-filter and nothing to stop it getting destroyed by any solvents...
Intermediate shaft - dimensionally it's within tolerance, and the bearings haven't picked up on it, so I'll probably re-use it in this case as its for my own vehicle, not a client's. I have a new one though which I found in one of my African dealers a few years ago, so might use it, but was hoping to save that or a future high value concourse type rebuild. I've seen a lot worse pulled out of fully functioning gearboxes - especially on LT95 boxes from Classic Range Rovers!

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »

I made a usb/12volt socket panel. Nothing unusual about that but this one is going in an unusual place...

It’s going in my oil cupboard.

We’re all here because we’re not all there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.