S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT. iPad battery replacement  (Read 2361 times)

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
OT. iPad battery replacement
« on: August 21, 2019, 07:40:54 AM »

I use my iPad extensively ,like now!
In camper van and ipad is reporting , 'not charging' . I am assuming it's th battery failing, any ideas on if replacement is possible at an economic price? I know from a conversation with a tech guy , iPhones unscrew, I pads are glued and a real pain.

On to this morning and it is from 2% to 12% so suspect the van is not kicking out enough volts to keep the USB chargers happy.

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
Re: OT. iPad battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:02:59 AM »

Try poking in the charge socket with a sharp pointed tool. There is often a build up of dust dirt and debris in there which stops the plug mating properly. That's what I have found on my phone.

Malcolm

Kernowcam

• .:
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »

Dads ipad refused to take a charging lead except for one special. Turned out the special one from china had broken the tip off and remained in socket. Dug plastic out and was fine.

Just realised camper battery was low, but still need to look at a battery replacement sometime.

Jonny72

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4370
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:48:37 AM »

If you’re charging in a camper, it might be the USB is a low-output 1-Amp, insufficient to charge an iPad or newer iPhone. Suggest to try an up-rated USB charger first (2.1Amp). A bit more expensive perhaps, but might solve the issue.

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »

Try inserting the charger lead t’other way up. One of the metal contacts broke on mine, causing strange effects. New lead eventually required, cost a bomb.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »

Your "problem" could be any of, or a combination of these (as mentioned).

1) The lightening socket could have fluff, dirt or other stuff inside.
2) The charging cable could be damaged, cheapo non-Apple cables lack quality and durability.
3) The USB charging socket may not be delivering enough amps - cheapo Apple copies don't normally put out 2.1/2.2 amps as John mentioned. There's a reason why Apple kit costs more - and not just because they rip-off their customers.

4) Before assuming the battery needs replacing just because it won't hold charge or takes ages to charge up - check the state of the battery. In the latest OS Apple now have a battery health monitor. Or there are a couple of 3rd party apps that check the battery.
Having Apple care means they will test and change the battery with the minimum of fuss.
Sadly, I don't think you live that close to an Apple store, your nearest store is in Plymouth.

Who's a then ?

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3375
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 10:28:09 AM »

Similar to Johns comment above - last year when I was away, I took two charging leads, but just the one USB plug attachment (off my mobile phone).
Turns out that the output from the phone charger plug was much lower than what the iPad charging plugs output was.
I didnt realise they were different, but turns out they are - and I was unable to charge my iPad for the duration as the plug output was simply too low. (I did find that if it was left plugged in for an extensive period, it did charge VERY VERY slowly..

armalites

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 07:30:56 PM »

Many car ports are not man enough to charge an Ipad, they will maintain the charge but not increase it especially when they are low and in use.

I have Dewalt USB adapter that fits on a Dewalt battery, charges everything really well. Charges my Iphone in a really short time. Ideal for situations when you are away from home. We also have a homemade charge block that has 4 7ah sealed batteries in it and when my wife has been camping it has been able to charge everyones gadgets for the whole time with no issues.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 09:49:33 PM »

Like others have said, I suspect the charger/lead/fluff in the socket. If it does turn out you need a new battery, it’s normally worth the expense of getting apple to do it. These 3rd party places are ok, but if they knacker the iPad then they’ll just shrug and that’s that. I learned that the hard way with my old iPhone.

Apple do a deal on phones to replace the battery, so it’s not horrendously dear. Don’t know if iPads are the same.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 06:47:52 AM »

In our camper and trhe land rover we have USB ports that charge at 2.1 amps, man enough for our android phones and tablets.  Thes obviously work as we are "off grid" quite often in the camper.

We also have a couple of cigarette lighter extension leads from Aldi that incorporate  USB ports of 1.2amp and 2.1. for in the car.  I will be completing major surgery on the car to fit a dedicated USB port in the car.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Kernowcam

• .:
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 08:01:02 AM »

I have discovered the leisure battery is low, also not sure van is charging it properly. I normally keep it on trickle charge but not this time!

iPad on 41% at the moment so I think it lives! Incidentally I have 2.1 am chargers but as discussed , I must assume it's not getting enough to charge properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.