S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Club magazine needs you!  (Read 3655 times)

martinp

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5246
  • .:
    • Trans-Africa Land Rover
Your Club magazine needs you!
« on: April 15, 2020, 09:08:04 AM »

I don't need to point out that these are challenging times and affecting many people in different ways, but the reduced access to the great outdoors and cancellation of Club runs, shows and events inevitably means that we will need to look elsewhere for content for the next issue of Built 2 Last.

If you've been busy in the garage and can supply a few words and pictures about what you've been up to, then we'd like to hear from you.

If you've got a load of cracking photographs from a previous adventure, a trip down memory lane or a great story to tell then send it in!

If you just want to show off your pride and joy, tell other members how you came by it, what it means to you and what you've done to and with it, then we are always interested.

In fact, if you've got ANYTHING for consideration, we would like to know. More than ever, the magazine needs your help.

Please email ideas for consideration or content for inclusion to [email protected] or [email protected]. Large image files can be sent via the free service at wetransfer.com or shared via icloud, dropbox etc - and remember that the larger the image files, the better in terms of them being suitable for printing in the magazine.

If however, you just fancy seeing YOUR Land Rover in print, then we will potentially be assembling a gallery spread in the mag: send one image of your Series II with your name and put GALLERY in the subject line.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS 22 MAY 2020.

Thank you in advance for your help - with your assistance we can make sure that the Summer issue comes out and gives members a brief distraction from this challenging world.
Editor, Built 2 Last
email: [email protected]
1959 Series II
1933 Austin Seven Special

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
Re: Your Club magazine needs you!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 09:13:52 AM »

How about suspending publication of B2L during the crisis?
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

martinp

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:20:12 AM »

It is of course an option. Interested to hear the reasons behind why we should do that though? Printers etc need to stay in business and if we can still produce a magazine without pulling resources away from essential services and give members something interesting to read in the process then personally I don't see why it should be paused.

Gareth

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6172
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:25:08 AM »

I’ll do an article about my trip to Morocco in my 2a back in 2007. I have some great pictures and it’s a good story. It’ll take me a couple of days  👍

martinp

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 09:26:45 AM »

I’ll do an article about my trip to Morocco in my 2a back in 2007. I have some great pictures and it’s a good story. It’ll take me a couple of days  👍

Thank you very much for the support Gareth. That sounds fantastic! Can't wait to see it.  :cheers

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 09:35:24 AM »

It is of course an option. Interested to hear the reasons behind why we should do that though? Printers etc need to stay in business and if we can still produce a magazine without pulling resources away from essential services and give members something interesting to read in the process then personally I don't see why it should be paused.

Have we checked that our printers can comply with the social distancing rules and are not putting their staff under unnecessary risk?

whitehillbilly64

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6702
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »

Maybe a archive addition.
Lots of old stories, and pics.
Still waiting for my first of the year and last of the year , mags
Must be coming by ship.

whitehillbilly

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »

I think as long as the printers are OK then suspension would be a really bad move.

I don't know about anyone else but in these strange times I look forward to getting things like B2L

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Sixpotsuz

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3769
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 10:31:32 AM »

NO DEFINITELY NOT!

Now is the time to put pedal to metal and give the magazine a big push.
We need to act normal, get some encouragement out to our members and feed our dreams.
And we need to support our suppliers and keep the economy rolling in so far as safely possible.

Anyone familiar with printing knows it’s mostly “all automated Serge”. 

I think it would be good to feature some less than pristine vehicles with an interesting history. 
Eve’s vehicle for example. 

S

martinp

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »

Have we checked that our printers can comply with the social distancing rules and are not putting their staff under unnecessary risk?

Just to satisfy your fears, this is the response from the printer in question:

"Of course we are.  Those of us that can work from home are.  Only essential staff are in.  Mailing staff are working 2m apart and when on the machine and have to be closer we have built a structure with a plastic shield to protect the staff members.  Each person on shift are not meeting as they did in the past.  One will finish before the other one starts, so again to keep them apart.

We have antibacterial spray and sanitiser everywhere for people to use as and when they feel it necessary. Our cleaner is making sure all surfaces such as hand rails, door handles, common areas are cleaned everyday.  We are observing social distancing at every point.  Staff who has needed to has self isolated.

I can assure you no one has been unnecessarily put at risk, my sister and husband are both working in the Mailing department even though I personally am working at home.  I would not put either of them at risk.

I hope this satisfies your members query."

Right, back to B2L...

martinp

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 10:40:21 AM »

NO DEFINITELY NOT!

Now is the time to put pedal to metal and give the magazine a big push.
We need to act normal, get some encouragement out to our members and feed our dreams.
And we need to support our suppliers and keep the economy rolling in so far as safely possible.

Anyone familiar with printing knows it’s mostly “all automated Serge”. 

I think it would be good to feature some less than pristine vehicles with an interesting history. 
Eve’s vehicle for example. 

S

I agree completely. Whilst a well-executed restoration is a fine thing, I would be more than just happy to include Land Rovers that show the true breadth of ownership and the variety of Series IIs. Those with history; those that have been well-used and show the scars of a life well lived; those that have been modified or kept going by any means necessary - they all have their place within the Club and I would LOVE to have them in the magazine.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »

Your Club magazine needs you!

It sure does, in these challenging times, whilst we can't go out and about on our normal jollies, there must be members with interesting stories (and pictures) and what about those rebuilds and refurbs - not only of whole vehicles, but parts thereof.
With all this time on our hands we could sit down and get writing.

We have a back catalogue of well over 100 issues of the club magazine. Some of the "better", more interesting articles could be re-cycled. In theory our editor Martin should have more than enough raw material to choose from.

This is of course subject to what the printers can do.
I've seen how B2L is printed and produced and can't see why "distancing" and working in a safe environment as per guidelines can't continue - but it's their call.
In these times we need to keep in contact with our membership.

I've noticed an increase in forum activity with more people joining and more members asking for website access.
I would image the same is true for our Facebook and Twitter feeds (I don't have anything to do with those).

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 11:39:04 AM »

Just to satisfy your fears, this is the response from the printer in question:

"Of course we are.  Those of us that can work from home are.  Only essential staff are in.  Mailing staff are working 2m apart and when on the machine and have to be closer we have built a structure with a plastic shield to protect the staff members.  Each person on shift are not meeting as they did in the past.  One will finish before the other one starts, so again to keep them apart.

We have antibacterial spray and sanitiser everywhere for people to use as and when they feel it necessary. Our cleaner is making sure all surfaces such as hand rails, door handles, common areas are cleaned everyday.  We are observing social distancing at every point.  Staff who has needed to has self isolated.

I can assure you no one has been unnecessarily put at risk, my sister and husband are both working in the Mailing department even though I personally am working at home.  I would not put either of them at risk.

I hope this satisfies your members query."

Right, back to B2L...

Thanks, Martin. I appreciate you've obtained that reassurance from our printers  :cheers

martinp

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »

Thanks, Martin. I appreciate you've obtained that reassurance from our printers  :cheers

No problem. Fancy submitting something on your 1966 SII? Would make a good article...

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 11:46:29 AM »

No problem. Fancy submitting something on your 1966 SII? Would make a good article...

Well, now you've asked, it would be rude not to   :RHD

It won't be in time for this issue......
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.