S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here live on the isles of Scotland  (Read 3832 times)

Ph0en1x_Uk

Re: Anyone here live on the isles of Scotland
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 11:22:04 PM »

Ah yes, I do remember the lack of trees.

But apart from that it was lovely.  :cool

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 10:17:51 AM »

I went up to the Isle of Skye a few years ago. Camped at Uig Bay Campsite for a week right in the north north west of the island. Ideal if you want to catch the ferry to any of the out lying Outer Hebrides. And good views over the bay too. Although if you want to watch the sunset over the Outer Hebrides its a quick drive around the corner.Yes Skye can get busy but some places can still be quiet if you avoid the tourist hotspots. Also another nice area thats not to many tourists is the Kintyre Peninsula stayed near Killean there. The Isle of Gigha is also worth a look too.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Sheepman

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4270
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »

We have traveled to several islands up there, it is different to go on holiday had a good time/weather then deciding to live there.
Just think of just nipping our to the motor factors or similar and it could be an all day trip and possibly a night stop if you miss the last ferry.
Ferries are expensive especially the further away from the main land and food is more expensive as it has to be ferried then trucked in. Not to mention less daylight hours in the 9 months of winter!
Not trying to put you off it is a great idea but needs careful bought, maybe rent somewhere for 6 months then if you don’t like it you can come back.
I would suggest a remote area on the mainland especially if you have kids - think of schooling.

Try the Ardnamurchan peninsular Applecross Gairloch Poolewe. or Sutherland

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 06:16:56 AM »

Hi,

My ginger haired mate, at DVLC, was a "Canny Highlander". I only remember him as "Jock"

He was offered the post of Office Manager, at  Stornaway Local Office. "Yes please!"

But that was in the mid 1970s, so I assume he has retired by now.

Sheppy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 07:22:49 AM »

They have probably shut the post office 602

Jepster

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3243
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 08:40:30 AM »

Not sure why you would want to leave Gods Country, but hey.

I seem to recall that Ailsa Craig was up for sale a year or two ago for £3m. Only 10 miles from the mainland, and the neighbours are delightful, if a little noisy in the mating season!
Calon lan yn Lloegr

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 09:28:59 AM »

Ferries are expensive especially the further away from the main land

You may be slightly out-of-date here. A few years back there was an "equivalent mileage" rule/law/thing that was brought in. The idea was to lower ferry costs for locals etc. It dramatically reduced the costs of taking a vehicle. It probably succeeded in the original aim, but the downside is that, for example, islands that used to be cyclist-friendly with quiet roads are now overrun with vastly increased numbers of tourist vehicles. Also, without an advance booking is very hard to get your vehicle booked on a crossing, whereas (for example) in the old days you could often just drive up and pop on. For Islay you need to book months ahead in summer to get a spot. So lots of other mechanisms have also had to be brought in to make sure locals can actually get ON the ferries in summer, by reserving a few places for them. Also lorries etc.

I agree about
Try the Ardnamurchan peninsular Applecross Gairloch Poolewe. or Sutherland

Try Achmelivic beach sometime! Beautiful in June before the schools get out. There is a chap with a fantastic blue ?S3? forward-control camper who often goes up there in July.
Andrew
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.