S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 75 VE Day  (Read 1140 times)

Avalon

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7597
  • .:
75 VE Day
« on: May 08, 2020, 11:44:13 PM »

Hope all enjoyed your day.
My wife and I watched the wreath laying, the fly past with the jets and the Spitfires over Dover as well as the Queen 's message.
Keep Calm
and Carry On.

John

Dire Straits

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4547
  • Formally Lhmg
Re: 75 VE Day
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »

Yes, thank you.
We had a Social Distance Street Party,centred around Tom who's 103 years young,he served in the Desert Rats,obviously Vera Lynn also featured.
Regards Les

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »

There's a slightly disturbing analogy with the Corona virus emergency, which is being overlooked in this wish to link in some way VE-day with the start of easing of the lockdown measures.

The war was far from over at this stage, and we had another, often overlooked army, navy and airforce still fighting hard in the Far East. The war did not end until VJ-day - I hope we are going to have the proper celebrations then, commemorating the true ending of the war.
Likewise, I hope this almost celebratory easing of restrictions is not premature - there is still a long possibly harder battle ahead before we truely have something to celebrate.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 09:01:32 AM »

Hi,

Many Yonks ago, I read a book, titled (I think) AIRCRAFT CARRIER, written from the perspective of, I think a "SEAFIRE" (?) pilot on an aircraft carrier in the Far East, still fighting the Japanese.

Many yonks? I was in RAAF Butterworth (sick bay), at the time, so mid 1960s. I think the Seafire was a "marinised" Spitfire.  Whatever, a ripping yarn, worth reading if you can find a copy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.