S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: paint stripper  (Read 3516 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: paint stripper
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 10:34:11 AM »

Isn't there a risk that methylene chloride or whatever the active component of decent strippers can under certain circumstances produce phosgene gas? - which can also come from good old carbon tetrachloride.

.... which is why you are advised to work outside, or at least with good ventilation.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.
Likewise with paint stripping ... to get good results the chemicals are quite strong and vicious.
Which is the problem with many of today's so called strippers - they have been Health & Safety-ised to the point that they are useless  :shakeinghead

People have different tolerances and skin sensitivity to the chemicals.
It makes sense to wear the best protection you can and avoid breathing the fumes  :nursey

Over the years I have tried many different paint strippers - all I tried were useless and no better than water.

IIRC it was genem who put us onto Synstryp  :first

It is the only product I've found that comes close to the Nitromors of yesteryear (in the days of my youth) before the Health & Safety got at it  :shakeinghead

Many of the best active chemicals are very volatile - and so they are mixed into pasty things - wall paper paste is good.
This gets the active chemical onto the paint before it can evaporate away. Whilst wrapping in cling film works for small parts - not really practical for whole vehicles or the large panels thereof.

:scientist
Who's a then ?

samuria

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4477
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 12:18:36 PM »

just to say what super fast delivery of the synstrip. ordered yesterday at 8.30am
arrived at 11.30am today . :tiphat

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 12:50:08 PM »

I once new a chap with a new Alluminium Audi, he HOT jet washed it and some of the paint came off, would this work with a Land Rover ???

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 01:55:55 PM »

Having stripped and repainted a number of Land Rovers my experience is that many non-original paint jobs are not very well keyed to the original or metal.  I often think 'that doesn't look bad enough to strip' but when I start rubbing it down layers start to loft - so more or less all of it comes off.

However I did have to strip what I think was hammerite over a chromate (hence toxic) orange primer and had to slowly remove both coats with Synstrip followed with gunwash thinners to remove the last of the chromate.  I don't think there was any way that would have come off with a hotwash.

So yes it may work, may be extremely tedious or may leave you with bits that still have to be removed physically or by chemical means.  If its already flaking its more likely to work.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 03:20:36 PM »

My vote has to be soda blasting, leaves a perfect finish ready to etch, prime and paint. No nasty fumes, sludge on the floor or risks of chemical burns to the skin or in your eyes, and if done outside all the spent soda will just hose away
But not a cheap process if your paying to have it done and if it’s a DIY job you need all the gear

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 03:38:40 PM »

.... That's the thing - if you do restorations on a semi-professional basis then the blasting kit makes sense.

Most owners are in need of stripping panels perhaps only once, or maybe twice in their Land Rover life, and so a chemical stripper makes more sense ???

... or do what the army did/do and apply many coats, one on top of the last  :thud

:paint :paint :paint

samuria

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4477
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 09:27:09 AM »

used the stripper yesterday, done four alloy wheels (pajero)..
took 2hrs from start to ready for painting.
brilliant stuff. thanks for the advise guys..... :tiphat

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 09:50:51 AM »

... another satisfied customer  :first

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »

I hate paint, both taking it off and putting it on.

I have used Synstryp with very limited success. I did a tailgate which took over 16hrs work to strip it, 8 coats per side, using over a litre. I am currently working on a door skin and am 6 coats in to one side which is still not done. The whole door skin, both sides, will take nearly 3 litres. In both cases the two later coats of paint came off quickly and easily but the original LR paint was highly resistant.

What I want from a paint stripper is either to turn the lot into a sticky mess, or to dis-bond it from the substrate, in either case leaving me with something that can be scraped away with a plastic scraper and then the residue removed either with a wipe, probably with solvent, or at the right stage can be brushed off with a nail brush. I found Synstryp left me with a softened paint compared with how hard it started off, but the effect was patch and limited. I still had to use a sharp steel scraper with the inevitable gouges where you get the angle just off perfect.

I have tried using it as per the directions, and extending the time (using cling-film) and shortening the time and using it as a wet scrub with a nylon brush. None of them made much difference.

By my estimate, stripping a vehicle back to bare metal with Synstryp at the rate I am going represents about 2000hrs work, using over 150 litres of Synstryp, so I will not be continuing and will switch to an alternative approach, probably involving having it wet blasted, soda blasted or CO2 blasted. Life's too short...

Alec

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2020, 02:49:08 PM »

seen a  few people on google use caustic soda, one guy mixed it up
then added wallpaper paste to remove the old anti- fouling paint on
his boat. worked great, and saved him loads of money. as the anti-fouling
remover is about £45 a ltr

I'd not use Caustic soda on Alloy. they don't like each other.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »

2nd to Synstryp is hydraulic brake fluid  :tiphat

I'm afraid that whatever paint system Land Rover used in the factory, it's a *&%^$ to remove.

:paint

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2020, 06:03:51 PM »

Some years ago I was given some stuff by a chap who worked in a local chemical factory, painted it on, it was nice and stickey, and in the morning the paint just fell off but it also took the galvernise of the cappings >:(
they don't make it like they used to, but the smell hurt your eyes, and splashes burnt on the skin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.