S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting a 19j  (Read 2571 times)

582LTR

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 616
  • .:
Re: Fitting a 19j
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 12:30:12 PM »

Peter, that was my inspiration as well from mine.

Martin

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 12:49:39 PM »

I had a 19J engine  One Ten and ran it to 75K miles before I sold it and the purchaser ran it to 150K before  I lost track of it.   Compared with a NA it was a revelation.    It was always serviced on time but apart from that it had no special work other than a new head gasket at about 70 k miles due to a slight oil leak on the block joint face,. It was extensively run well loaded as a recovery vehicle on Car rallies.  Land Rover had it back to use for MoT Smoke testing at the factory , as it was about the time the smoke test had come in and Land Rover were getting a lot of complaints of failures, both of engines and excessive smoke .  Needless to say it passed with flying colours and the subsequent owner to me never had an MoT failure for smoke.  I must admit it was not what I would call a robust engine. It needed to be serviced properly especially with the correct oil . I know we had failures  with the factory fleet as initially the internal service departments were not using SHPD oil which was very new to the market at the times,

582LTR

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »

I have been told that regular and full services are important. I don’t mind that. Thank you for your comments.

Martin

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 03:55:00 PM »

One other item is the Heater in a 90/110 is an air blend, so the connections have a coolant flow all the time  . Same Engine  fitted to another application must maintain a similar flow in the head & block  to cool them correctly . There is a link hose listed in parts list  for none heater applications .

richardhula

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5660
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »

Martin you'll need a set up to operate the heater plugs a lucas starter solenoid is good to use as a relay (they pull 60 amps plus) I ran a 12J in the Dormy for a while and modified the ignition so that turning the key to the left operated the heater plugs swing over to the right to start. Does the 19J use a pull stop or a solenoid to cut the fuel?
Alec
or use and early petrol type start button designed to take full starter current so well able to cope with heater current. The parallel wired 12 volt heaters on my 12J hybrid require only 5 seconds or maybe 10 when cooler to give instant starting even when close to freezing.
Regards - Richard
1966 build S2A(c) 88" 12J hybrid diesel

This nowt wrong wi'owt wot mitherin clutterbucks don't barley grummit!

582LTR

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »

Thank you for this, so either the key arrangement, presumably with the register thing that fits on the bulkhead, or the starter button with the same thing.

Martin

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »

19J parallel 12v plugs nothing needed on the bulkhead other than a relay, the resister/timer thing is for the old series plugs.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.