S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for sound proofing and other tips to make it usable.  (Read 1939 times)

582LTR

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 616
  • .:

Good morning, I am after the general consensus of what is the best product for soundproofing and any other tips to make your vehicle more usable in a daily basis. I have an overdrive and am fitting electronic ignition.

Thanks

Martin

Tim_Moore

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7294
  • .:

This advice is from sound proofing my patrol and a bit of progress on the S2.

- Bonnet liner - amazing how much sound comes up through the bonnet
- Exhaust routing/exit/mufflers - my exhaust on the S2 is a bit of a drone at the moment, might add in another muffler to change the resonance
- Dynamat - Its a weighted butyl rubber that you stick onto flat panels to change the frequency at which they hum and vibrate. dont need 100% coverage just enough to deaden the sound coming through . S2 certainly has a few flat panels! I don't like the idea of sticking it to the roof or doors where it is visible. But my bulkhead has been covered and painted so you can really tell, I plan on applying it to the floor plates and gearbox tunnel also to deflect some road noise.
- Tighten all the panel screws - amazing how much less sound there was but just nipping up a few bolts.
- Egg shell foam - if you really want to suck out some sound then proper sound insulating foam is about the last resort. We had this wrapped inside our tractor cabs on the farm.  it is the only thing that will absorb sounds properly and not reflect it around the cab. the thicker and curvier the better!
- roof racks - remove it. They cause a symphony of humming, but practicality normally outweighs this option.
- Tyres.... love mud tyres but they really load compared to a set of highway treads, practicality normally outweighs this option also!

im sure there is more! but its a start

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:

Make sure there are no holes in the cab area, anywhere in the bulkhead , floor , tunnel etc including making sure all wires/ cables have grommets with no free space around them.   

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:

Make sure there are no holes in the cab area, anywhere in the bulkhead , floor , tunnel etc including making sure all wires/ cables have grommets with no free space around them.

This is excellent advice. Often overlooked! A few small holes will let through a surprising amount of noise, especially if they are near a noise source!

I wear ear defenders on long journeys. Cheaper than all of the sound deadening materials.

Chris.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:

Sell the Land Rover...
Buy a Bentley...

Seriously though - you can reduce some of the noise by adding insulation, reducing panel vibration etc., but there is a limit to what is achievable beyond that. There is so much transmitted noise coming up from the road through springs, off road tyres etc., that that constant din / drone is almost impossible to get rid of.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393

Do a sound meter test. I used an app on my phone. A friends Series with a 200tdi measured 104db, (travelling on the motorway at about 60) - that's close to hearing damage.
Tim

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

These are good ...  :noisey
Who's a then ?

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

I think there's a difference between ear defenders and headphones.

:noisey

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:

Noise cancelling headphones are fantastic on a long trip.
We’re all here because we’re not all there.

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
Re: Recommendations for sound proofing and other tips to make it usable.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 03:46:02 PM »

When I had a S3 as a daily driver diesel,  two things that made a big difference were, a sound reducing blanket from an old volvo fitted under the bonnet, Decent set of road tyre, the difference was very noticeable.
My 2.25 petrol engine if fairly quiet , most noise is from the transmission , floor mats can reduce this , even home made ones ,
Chris

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 04:42:38 PM »

:-\ earplugs  :first :RHD

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »

Elf and safety at work, at 85Db ear protection is adviseable at 95Db it is mandatory. For every10Db the volume of noise doubles. Your average Landy probably produces 90Db in the cab area, those with a smart phone can down load an App to check this. Tinnitus can't be cured once it starts you've got it for life. Forty years of listening to grain handling machinery and 20 of using a Landy as my daily driver and I've got tinnitus in one ear.

Alec 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 17 queries.