S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Production numbers  (Read 3277 times)

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
Production numbers
« on: September 21, 2019, 04:08:18 PM »

Just picke up a James Taylor landrover book and noticed the following production figures.
Series 1            218k
Series 2            110k
Series 2a           343k
Series lla FC.      3 k
Series llb fc.       2 k
Lightweights 2a  3k
Lightweight 3     12k
Series 3             250k

Set me thinking about rarity value etc and how the fc and lightweights especially the two a are far scarcer than anything else and not reflected in their values.

A jeep is typically 10-20k and 800k odd k made.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Re: Production numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 04:21:56 PM »

Does the book break that down further into 'Station Wagon' and 'Delux Station Wagon', mainly in regard to the IIa?  What about '88' and '109', are they broken down as well?
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 05:24:11 PM »

You need to factor in LHD models, A lot of Land Rovers were exported.

And quite a lot, the majority, a good proportion ??? of Series 3 LWTs went to foreign armies in both LHD & RHD form.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

109+1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3618
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 05:36:31 PM »

Think from memory they only made 253 of the 4x2 very low production number.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »

You need to factor in LHD models, A lot of Land Rovers were exported.

And quite a lot, the majority, a good proportion ??? of Series 3 LWTs went to foreign armies in both LHD & RHD form.

:RHD

Good catch, forgot about that as well.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 10:07:40 PM »

Set me thinking about rarity value etc and how the fc and lightweights especially the two are far scarcer than anything else and not reflected in their values.

Generally speaking, demand defines value, not production numbers.

If only two of a variant are produced, but only two people in the world want one..........
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »

Generally speaking, demand defines value, not production numbers.

If only two of a variant are produced, but only two people in the world want one..........

This is true.  That along with "overall" cost.  When I was looking at buying my very first Rover one of the main things I looked at was the cost and availability of parts, especially since I'm in the US. 

The more uncommon the Rover, or any vehicle for that matter, the harder it would be to get parts.

I know the demand for specific styles and configurations have got to be different there in the UK than here in the US as well.  Rovers are so uncommon here, especially in my area, that Rovers North actually has a monthly contest called "Spottings".  If you see a Rover in a US advert you submit it.  If you are the first to submit it, or one of the first, you win a mug.

The SIIa 88 is becoming really popular over here for various reasons.  To give you an idea, within the past year or so an article was circulating on some US based internet magazines stating that the SIIa was THE "quintessential" overland/safari/adventure vehicle.  The early 2a and Station Wagons were pointed at the most.  Following in that article's footsteps three magazines, who's target demographic are young, affluent suburbanites, ran Series Rovers on their covers and as part of the feature article.   The two that I remember are "Guns & Gardens" and "Country Living".

Honestly, I never realized just how popular Rovers were becoming here in the US until about Spring of 2018.  I was on a forum and somebody asked what everybody's idea of the perfect overlanding vehicle was that was somewhat easy for the owner to maintain and work on themselves.  I, of course, said the Land Rover Series.  A guy commented something like "I wish - I'm not rich, can't afford something like that, I had to settle for an LR3".  This got me to thinking about what they were selling for now so I checked.  I was rather shocked.  If I were to try and purchase a '63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon, in the same condition Grover was in, today I couldn't justify the expense.  When I looked at those within the same price range I paid for Grover all that popped up were rusted out relics and you'd be lucky if it had an engine that turned over.  So far I've been offered 3 times the amount I paid when Grover was halfway through the rebuild.  Now that I'm almost done, the offer has gone up considerably.

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »

If its any help 275 of the 4x2 S2  variants were ordered I own and run no 272, somewhere in my jumbled mental filing cabinet I think 274 were made , have contract no if required, does this make them more valuable , let's hope so :coo
Chris

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »

From those figures, Series 3s are rarer than 2/2As!

However, JT's Series 3 book gives a production figure for series 3s nearer 500K.
Tim

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 02:12:12 PM »

I had a figure of 440k in mind for the s3 but that may be cumulative.

Just seen this

https://www.landrover.co.uk/explore-land-rover/one-life/design/series-one-defender-history.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.