S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpine window glass  (Read 703 times)

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Alpine window glass
« on: July 27, 2022, 04:24:25 PM »

These little windows fitted to S1/S11/S111/86"/107"/109" station wagonds and Discovery 1 all fitted with rubber seals and in many sizes, I think :stars

If I have a hard top without such windows but would like some, would any fit if a hole to fit was cut?
Are the roof curves all the same, perhaps not the Discovery type?
I'm thinking of fitting into a 86" roof, how much larger than the glass should a hole be cut? Whats the best way to cut a clean hole?
It seems 86" glass is like hens teeth, hence the question

(sorry as this now reads O/T)

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
Re: Alpine window glass
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 04:43:38 PM »

As you have found out the 86" (and 88" series one) glass is hard to find. It is quite a bit longer than any other alpine lights.
I believe the rest though are all the same right up into the 110 days so shouldn't be hard to find.

All you need to do is get some glass, find some suitable seals and mark the roof. There will be some clearance around the seal but not sure how much you need to allow. You need to draw around the glass then add on the seal width and some clearance. Not the total seal width off course, only the width inside the seal between the glass and the metal!

I have seen lots of these retro-fitted into hard tops but everyone seems to get them way too high on the roof. The genuine lights were very close to the gutter as in my photo below. The green Land Rover below is one from ebay and they are way too high and look a bit silly.

I'll chuck in another photo of my 86" Station wagon so you can see how long the original ones were. I haven't measured the two but they are big compared to later windows.

Craig.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 04:47:46 PM »

One more thing to look at....

Here is a series one hard top that a now departed long term member of the series one club made into a kind of hybrid station wagon.
The alpine windows are notably shorter than the genuine things, the tropical roof is too narrow and the windows in the sides are the wrong shape but at first glance, could fool all but the Series One expert...
Looks like the Alpine glass fitted the curve of the roof quite well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374187386888?

Craig.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 10:46:18 PM »

^^^ Thank you
I have seen the ebay listing and noted the top skin looked S11/S111 but that is somthing I would have to live with...
I'm lucky enough to have another 86" a genuine Station wagon so I could copy the bottom gap from that.
It seems strage that no one has made any S1 alpine glasses as many must have been broken over the rears?

I think I will look out for a top skin from a 88" S11/111 and the glass from the same roof if I can find a cheapish one locally

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 08:20:23 AM »

Another thing to think about is the 1954 model year (or at least part of it) had plastic alpine lights. The glass alpines didn't come along until a bit later on in the 1954 / 55 model year.
You could speak to a plastic company and see if they could curve some Lexan material for you and cut it to the right shape. Hopefully there are plastics out there now that will withstand the sunlight a bit better than there was in 1954.

Craig.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 08:32:57 AM »

I'm also aware that the 1954 models had 2 opening roof vents and the 4 vents came with the 55 models.
With regard to plastic "glass", yes I've seen these on early models but never seen any in good condition, always cracked and/or discoloured, so rather than cutting a roof to fit the S1 size for plastic that was part of my thinking for S11/111 size holes where the glass can be found

Or perhaps I should keeplooking and pay up for a 86/88" SW roof which would be right, but then I would need the "right" SW roof sides with the lower rib. However I alreadt have the SW rear door and mounting frame

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 08:53:49 AM »

Yes, the roof on my 86" above only has two roof vents. All the glass in my one is dated second quarter of 54 but I do have glass Alpine lights.
I'm not sure you would find a SW top come up for sale, they are pretty rare things and people would be reluctant to let them go. You could try Jon at Cross Channel Classics as he gets all sorts of bits back from Australia.

I think modern plastics would be a lot more resilient against UV damage, cracking, misting etc. Hope so anyway as I need new plastic for the door tops on my one.

You don't have a rear door windows glass lying about spare do you? My one has a piece of plastic in it.

Craig.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 08:57:32 AM »

So the strengthening rib under the window in this photo wasn't fitted to the hard top sides or was fitted but somewhere else?

Craig.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 09:08:24 AM »

You don't have a rear door windows glass lying about spare do you? My one has a piece of plastic in it.

Craig.
No sorry, and one of mine has a bad scratch.
I would have thought a glass company could make one in toughend glass for little money, I replace my cracked plastic side door windows like that

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 09:11:04 AM »

So the strengthening rib under the window in this photo wasn't fitted to the hard top sides or was fitted but somewhere else?

Craig.
Just fitted a few inches lower on the SW sides, I have a pair of each but as spot welded might be hard to move :shakeinghead

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 09:20:47 AM »

I think I will go that route. There is a local tractor / agricultural place to me and I spoke to them once about glass and they said flat toughened glass is easy to get cut to size, all they need is the dimensions or a pattern.

Didn't realise the side panels had the rib in a different place. Live and learn.  :cheers

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.