S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Well I never...  (Read 2601 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Well I never...
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2021, 08:23:03 AM »

An interesting legal technicality! I would guess that if the plate is deliberately used to represent an incorrect vehicle identity then it becomes a legal issue. If its sold as a pub decoration, I'd say its probably perfectly legitimate even though irritating to be sold as "art".

How many bars have we been in where there are loads of US licence plates up on the walls? Plenty come back this way as well.

Whether it is ethical or appropriate to sell a plate which has an active DVLA registration attached is another question. I suspect it might be frowned upon, but not illegal.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 11:26:13 AM »

Until it actually goes on a vehicle on the road i would have thought that it was just a piece of metal or plastic with numbers and letters on it.

As an aside, when YOD came into my ownership it had plastic reflective numberplates.  As part of the refurbishment I removed whatever had been used as backing to repair the lower rear quarter of the tub.  When it saw the light of day i discovered an expensive pressed aluminium silver on black numberplate.  I suspect that it is original to the vehicle.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 03:42:15 PM »

I once had the conversation with the Police about people selling "instant ID kits" , plates and a V5. Their view was it was not illegal until someone put it on another vehicle and drove it so plated on the public highway.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 04:57:18 PM »

... and drove it so plated on the public highway.

Hi Gene,

A motor vehicle on a public right of way, must have registration plates, a registration document, and insurance. I understand that includes a vehicle belonging to the owner of the land.

I believe a motor vehicle on land to which the PUBLIC have access (even if they pay for access) must have insurance.

Some years ago, I read of an inebriated farmer who drove from the pub car park, to his farm, solely on un-metalled public rights of way ... and found the police waiting for him.

With the above in mind, my daughters house, in Milton Keynes, includes about 12 metres of land behind the house, ending in a public footpath. But The Planners decreed that half of her garden must remain unfenced, and be kept as amenity land. The houses on the other side of the footpath have similar arrangement.

One day, her next door neighbour had a knock on his door ... man from the Council demanding that he remove his collection of Series Landies from  Council property.  Council bloke was shown the Land Registry "deeds", and departed with a red face. Thinking about it, maybe the neighbour could have been "done" for the offences that I mentioned above.

In a similar vein, a couple of social workers, visiting Barbara, were not aware that she is entitled to a Disability Facilities Grant to provide access to a garden area. Grants under £1,000 are NOT MEANS TESTED, (and you can come back for more). Her latest Social Worker argued that Barbara was not entitled to a DFG to install a ramp into the conservatory (9ft x 18ft) which is where the washing machine and tumble drier live, as well as a couple of arm-chairs (one is Adjustamatic), and a coffee table. A DFG can be demanded (statutory right) for access to all FAMILY rooms ... but expect a 12 month wait for approval.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 05:01:29 PM »

The registered keeper has only the right to use the number on a vehicle registered to him/her. If the car is scrapped the number is voided unless it's put on retention.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2021, 05:15:07 PM »

not too uncommon i bet, im sure everyone here has kept old plates after theyve sold a vehicle onwards, but selling them while still active is a little off.

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2021, 12:54:57 AM »

Is a physical number plate actually owned by the registered keeper, or is it technically a kind of certificate remaining the property of the DVLA?

I believe that if you do not pay to retain a treasured plate then the DVLA will take it back and you have to buy it again. I’ve never tested that though.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 09:54:33 AM »

if you do not pay to retain a treasured plate then the DVLA will take it back and you have to buy it again.

What do you mean by "it" - the actual physical plate, or the right to display it on your car?

Ian59

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2021, 12:24:15 PM »

I've got loads of old number plates that I use as wall 'art' in my shed/workshops. Many of these are original old ones from the 50's/60's and out of curiosity I checked a few of them on the DVLA website.

I was quite surprised to find many were still on the road, albeit on later vehicles, not the originals

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2021, 02:02:04 PM »

What do you mean by "it" - the actual physical plate, or the right to display it on your car?
The right to display it.

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2021, 07:19:03 AM »

^^^ Yes, the right to display it.

I’ve got a few old number plates knocking around in the garage and this thread has encouraged me to pin them up on the wall rather than clutter up the shelves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.