S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accuspark - anybody used their products?  (Read 2176 times)

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
Re: Accuspark - anybody used their products?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 10:29:00 AM »

I have used H&H Ignition Solutions for all my distributor rebuilds for years. The most recent was one for a 2.25 5MB engine. I sent them the original dizzy and asked for their electronic ignition solution. They said that if it was a Chinese copy they wouldn’t do it but as it was an original Lucas unit they would. Much cheaper than the Distributor Doctor.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 10:34:01 AM »

Thanks. My problem is that we only have the cheap Chinese distributor. the vehicle is currently running on my 25D for my 1965SW and I want that back asap!
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 11:02:28 AM »

I've got a couple of (original) 25Ds awaiting refurb if you want one.
I'll get some photos if you like.

Andrew
[ºº]O O[ºº]

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2021, 11:12:34 AM »

As Andrew has a couple of 25Ds does your replacement have to be a 45D?  A 25D can be set up  to give the correct advance curve for a 2.25 petrol engine.

I think it m,ay be the rout that i will go with my 2L petrol.  I have had great success in the past with 80"s running 25Ds lifted staight out of minis and mossis minors without any modification.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 11:17:43 AM »

Andrew,
That would be a huge help. I prefer the 25D to the 45D in reality. We could put an electronic kit into the my 25D which is in the vehicle now and then if I could get Martin to do a proper job on one of yours for my own 88" SW, that would make everybody happy.
If you could put one aside for me, that would be great. In return, if I can help with the gearbox conundrum, that might work out for all!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2021, 11:31:49 AM »

Prospective owners should read our Buyers' Advice ^^^

It would save a lot of grief and £s.

There are plenty in the club spread around the country who would willingly give up their time to inspect a vehicle.
Perhaps if more prospective owners did this and did their "homework" before parting with their hard earned such stories will/would be rarer ???

:RHD
Who's a then ?

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2021, 01:22:53 PM »

Pics for Mark.
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »

I've used both Accuspark and Simon BBC electronic ignition over the years and have had no issues with them. I did have an issue similar to the "180 out" one running on another thread but it was the skew-gear position in the rebuilt engine that was the problem, not the Distributor  ( A Simon BBC 45d ).  The engineer did a home-visit to rectify the issue... 

When prices start to head towards £400 for the top-end product/rebuild, many people will have financial concerns so workable solutions within most peoples budget should not be sniffed at nor products dismissed out of hand. We have 2500 members with 2500 different amounts of disposable income.  Comments about the country of origin are even more ridiculous, given that the response is probably being typed on a product assembled in Malaysia or Vietnam using parts made in China....  The question is Quality vs Price, not location of manufacture. If anything, we have been our own worst enemies over the years, rewarding manufacturers with our custom for £60 exhausts and £10 brakes, so of course they make more tat and the quality end of life suffered.

This £20k heap.... yes there is a degree of Buyer Beware but I wonder if we are at the stage of naming names when the situation is so bad that Mark is being asked to work on 5 in one year. The same seller or a larger number ?  We all have an interest in the value of our vehicles, if our efforts to develop a good name in the Classic Car world are undermined by "sharp practise" by dealers, it affects us all...

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2021, 03:33:20 PM »

I bought one of the Accuspark electronic ones to replace mine. It worked fine, but the top end performance (!) was a bit flat. I took the electronic module out, put it in my original but worn dizzy, got the performance back. Put the points/condenser into the Accuspark dizzy - I now have a spare!
Tim

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2021, 03:36:07 PM »

Much goes back to what I've mentioned in previous posts. I live in an area where there are quite a few people with deep pockets and too much time on their hands - especially during Lockdowns. Add too many sherberts and late night cruising of eBay and its a recipe for disaster. These people are not so much enthusiasts as classic car investors and often have expectations over and above what club members and those of us "in the know" would be satisfied with. In most cases, they know full well that its their own fault, but it doesn't sweeten the pill.

I shouldn't complain. Sorting these issues out is very satisfying and helps pay a lot of bills. It also finances my own projects...

Anyway - decision made - going to rebuild an old one. Thanks to the Club, I've got several options now, so thank you all. I think I'll put a Powerspark or Pertronix kit into a 25D or 45D. that way I'll know its right.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.