S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 59 years ago.  (Read 4935 times)

seriesonenut

• Chassis welder
Re: 59 years ago.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 07:59:57 PM »

interesting thread. Apparently at the age of three I survived a roof collapse which fell in under the weight of snow. The ceiling  sat on top of my bed/cot whatever with roof timbers , tiles and snow  on top. No memory of that but I still like a bit of snow!   :snowman-1

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 08:05:34 PM »

I remember walking to school along the tops of the snow banks piled up from the roads being cleared. I also remember hearing a story of a man driving a mini across the Tames at Donnington bridge near us, I always doubted the story because although there is a slipway on the northern bank there is nowhere to get out on the southern side. In more recent years I think I read something like that happened but it was an Austin 7. I ought to look it up I suppose. 
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2021, 08:14:05 PM »

When mimi first came out the Austin version was called Austin Seven
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 08:30:55 PM »

Wasn't it Austin Se7en?
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 09:13:12 PM »

Where`s my tractor   
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 09:35:06 PM »

When mimi first came out the Austin version was called Austin Seven

True - here's ours... a 1961 model been in the family from new...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

CarolB

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6879
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2021, 09:58:20 PM »

Back in that winter of 62/63 we lived among a collection of small holdings on an unmade road on the outskirts of Selsdon (now part of South Croydon I believe). My fiancé had a series 1 landy - a multi coloured landy, pink bottom doors (no top ones), pink bonnet, blue front wings and light green everywhere else. No idea where he got it nor what happened to it later. But each day he and the faithful Landy would tow my father in his Singer Gazelle out of our road and up the long hill to the main road in Selsdon so father could continue on to the local station to get to London. This tow used to scare my poor Dad to death as it involved avoiding all the other vehicles stuck/abandoned on the hill often squeezing on to the path between the garden walls of the local houses and the street lamp posts. It took a bit of judgment on Dad's behalf to manage to follow exactly in the tracks of the landy at the speed my fiancé was driving! The hill eventually thawed out and normal service was resumed to the relief of my Dad, but our unmade road had frozen to thick ice and stayed like it until nearly the end of March before it cleared.

David A

• Old Brummie
  • S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5546
  • .:
  • 1958 Series2 swb , 2003 110 utility td5
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 11:09:22 PM »

We always went to my grandparents house for Boxing day ( actually Grandad used to fetch us in his 1938 Morris 8) there was no snow when we arrived at grandparents place (Dec 1963 Boxing Day) , however when we opened the front door to go home  about 6 hours later 4 feet of snow fell into the house , we stayed for 3 days .... that is until the snow plough reached the road . I vividly remember persistent frost on the inside of my bedroom windows and the only time a fire was lit in my bedroom was that winter. No central heating or fancy log burning stoves , just "nutty slack" in an open fire .Everything froze.  I also remember the awful chilblains on my knees due to exposure of my legs to the elements because dad insisted we wear short trousers until secondary school , I was 6 at the time of that deep freeze . It was also during that winter that I have my first memory of seeing a  landrover , the only vehicle that was moving at the time , easily negotiating the hill where our house was located.
David A

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 11:24:02 PM »

We always went to my grandparents house for Boxing day ( actually Grandad used to fetch us in his 1938 Morris 8) there was no snow when we arrived at grandparents place (Dec 1963 Boxing Day) , however when we opened the front door to go home  about 6 hours later 4 feet of snow fell into the house , we stayed for 3 days .... that is until the snow plough reached the road . I vividly remember persistent frost on the inside of my bedroom windows and the only time a fire was lit in my bedroom was that winter. No central heating or fancy log burning stoves , just "nutty slack" in an open fire .Everything froze.  I also remember the awful chilblains on my knees due to exposure of my legs to the elements because dad insisted we wear short trousers until secondary school , I was 6 at the time of that deep freeze . It was also during that winter that I have my first memory of seeing a  landrover , the only vehicle that was moving at the time , easily negotiating the hill where our house was located.

Had something similar happen when I was 8.  Our family was invited to have a New Years day meal with another family that lived about 20 miles away.  It was lightly snowing when we left.  At some point in the evening a blizzard hit with no warning.  By the time we were to leave our car was buried and all the roads were closed.  We stayed with them for a couple of days.

We have an old house - it doesn't have the modern central heating and air.  We have a forced air furnace on the lower floor and one room upstairs has a wall furnace.

The winter of '63/'64 was really bad here in the States - the worst on record back then.  The blizzards started on December 31 and continued for a day or so, depending on where you were.  I was around then, but my parents were.

We are currently under a sever winter storm alert at the moment... the temp is already starting to drop.  The storm is to hit sometime around 1 or 2 in the morning - ice and snow all day on the 1st.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 06:15:35 AM »

Hi,

Wimps!

My Austin 7 was the 1932 variety ... no heater, no screen demister, no antifreeze, hand crank the engine to start. I think the tyres were something like 17" x 4.00" (virtually motor cycle tyres, to look at), but they cut through snow. You could give the steering wheel a yank, the car would snake, but immediately return to a straight line. There wasn't enough power (13bhp when new) to cause problems.

Sorry, I don't have any photos. I wish I had it now, but it would be way out of my price range ... maybe a thousand times what I paid all those years ago. If only I'd known then what I know now.

It got me from Thetford to Croydon, and back, every weekend, with three passengers each paying me thirty shillings (£1.50). A gallon of petrol cost four shillings (£0.20).  Fog was the worst, but I never failed to get through.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2022, 08:51:15 AM »

I too can remember walking to school on footpaths built high from the snow pushed to the side by the snow ploughs.

I lived in Sheffield at the time and one of the things that i remember is that the buses never stopped even though much of the rest of the traffic did.  The drivers of the school buses often got the kids to help push if they got stuck - can you imagine that happening now.  Over the extended period the snow at the side of the road turned black and I remember the fantastic sledging opportunities in the local park.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »

Yes, remember it well, very foggy where we lived and remember my Dad taking me to the local park and watching people ice skating. My Dad did say that the Winter of 47 was worse, he was working on an Army camp, building wooden huts and would walk the 4 miles in deep snow to get to work. Not many would do that these days.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2022, 11:23:54 AM »

I have a memory of being taken to school, I'd have been 5, not being able to see out of the car windows over the snow piled on the roadside....in the town centre.

....as opposed to yesterday when it was distinctly warm outside, jacket off to do any physical work. 

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2022, 11:51:48 AM »

I remember that cold winter. Together with thousands of other people, I went for a walk on Lake Zurich.
.W.

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2022, 11:53:00 AM »

some of these read how you first started an addiction to land rovers :neener
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 16 queries.