S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rover, 4x4 and Vintage Spares Day Malvern 5 February 2023  (Read 933 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Land Rover, 4x4 and Vintage Spares Day Malvern 5 February 2023
« on: February 01, 2023, 04:05:41 PM »

Just realised this is on this Sunday and mulling over whether to go or not. Usually I go to Newbury, but never been to the Malvern version. As punter just going to potter about and buy more junk I don't need, is it worth it?

I've always felt that Newbury is getting just a bit too big and also there are too many trade stands in my view as opposed to old duffers like me flogging old surplus stuff we don't need. Is Malvern bigger, smaller, similar? What's the general view?
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Landrover68

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5588
  • .:
Re: Land Rover, 4x4 and Vintage Spares Day Malvern 5 February 2023
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 04:13:03 PM »

Malvern is smaller but I find it better than Newbury, I seem to come home with more from Malvern somehow!!

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 04:23:09 PM »

Malvern is smaller but I find it better than Newbury, I seem to come home with more from Malvern somehow!!
Agree with that! I sat down once and listed all I'd bought from each show - Malvern was on top.

Plus there is a display from the S2 club there, say hello to the people there. I'm going, but as a punter.
Tim

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 04:32:35 PM »

Plus there is a display from the S2 club there, say hello to the people there. I'm going, but as a punter.

I think I'll do a run up there then. It would be good to see the S2C stand. I think I'll go incognito just in case I am identified, named and shamed for all the hot air on here...   :cheers

Jungleland

• Chassis welder
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 07:07:38 PM »

There will also be a spares day at Ripon Racecourse in Yorkshire on March 5th, which suits people like me who live a bit too far North for Malvern. I think this is the first year.

Green88

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 08:42:19 PM »

And there is another new 4x4 and land rover spares day, at Oakham Showground in Rutland on Sunday 23rd April. I'll go to that one as it's the closest to Cambs. It seems there's a dearth of land rover shows over this way...I this one is worth a trip.

Ironchicken64

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7488
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 08:23:28 AM »

Just realised this is on this Sunday and mulling over whether to go or not.

Thanks for the reminder, might go down there this weekend.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 06:03:16 PM »

I went and had a good potter around. It was a good site and nice and easy to get round, but the turnout seemed poor. Anybody else who went felt the same?
It seemed a bit lacking on the small players just clearing stuff out like we used to do. Maybe the world has changed, but precious Series stuff of any significance from what I could see.
The positives were a great stand by the Series 2 Club and a similar one from the Series One Club which look great as they were facing each other across the barn. I also liked the Charlesworth Mouldings' sales trailer.

Will give Newbury a go when that comes up, but I'm starting to think that the days of interesting deals on cleared out excess junk have gone now.

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 06:19:43 PM »

I thought differently, the overflow car park was in use for the first time, there was an extra shed, more food stalls than usual. Lots of series stuff for sale, along with the usual other stuff.

There was more to see.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 06:27:41 PM »

Will give Newbury a go when that comes up, but I'm starting to think that the days of interesting deals on cleared out excess junk have gone now.

I think we can probably blame the likes of eBay and Facebook marketplace for that. It's no bad thing if sellers are more clued up about what they have, at least it means finding some of the more difficult parts is easier, but not so good for those restoring or running a series on a budget.

Bloke

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6610
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 09:49:04 AM »

I went along and found it quite good. I barely bought anything, but I wasn't looking for anything in particular. My Dad's friend bought himself a pair of as-new Rocky Mountain door tops for a bit of a bargain, so he was very pleased with that. And the Series 2 club stand as ever, looked fantastic. I thought the leaflets were a nice touch, too.

The turnout, for Malvern standards, was great. It's usually quite small event, with some over the last couple of years being very quiet indeed.

The the walk back to the carpark (carrying 2 doortops :thud) felt long though! I had a nice morning out with my Dad and friends.

Looking forward the weekend-long event in May. I'm trying to convince my Dad to dust off his 6 cylinder and bring it out for a run.  :RHD

Tom
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 09:54:52 AM »

I thought it was a good turnout for Malvern at this time of the year . The fine weather helped and there seemed to me that  more people had come some distance, not like me as its only 35 mins away

jus

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 8076
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 11:49:49 AM »

I think there were slightly more trade stands selling tools and consumables than there were 'surplus' parts stands. The prices for both kinds seemed to be pretty good to me. Compared to EBay and Amazon that is. I got a length of silicone hose to replace my constantly leaking round heater hose - which seems to have worked so far. Otherwise - just browsing with no shopping list. Of course - on reflection, there are a few things that I wish I'd bought....
1969 2a LWB 2.25 petrol
1991 Defender 90 2.5 petrol
Lancias: 1982 037 Rally, 1985 Delta S4, 1971 Fulvia HF, 1982 Beta Spyder, 1974 Stratos HF
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.