S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to go for galvanised chassis replacement for series 3 109  (Read 6207 times)

Safari John

• Hub seal tester
Re: Best place to go for galvanised chassis replacement for series 3 109
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »

It was "Marsland" that got my attention.

For most owners the subtleties of the chassis evolution during Series 2 production will be lost.
And to be fair, not required. Most just want a decent product, a decent job where most/all of the fixing points are correct.

As Wittsend says, a decent product. It would still be useful to know if their series chassis builds will (eventually) pass muster. The quality of the coil sprung chassis would suggest there is hope.

If anyone is seriously considering them as an option, I will be looking at paying them a visit, if the weather plays ball!! It's only a 30 mile drive for me.

1967 109SW 2.3 Diesel (ex 2.6 Petrol) on rebuild

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »

Other factors to consider:-

How stable is the business ?
Is it a one-man-band or a long established company ?
What is the "waiting time" - can they deliver the goods within a reasonable time frame ?
You shouldn't have to wait years  :shakeinghead
Quality of work/finish - ask on the forum for customer experiences.

Pay by credit card.
Only put a deposit down.

Can you afford to lose the cash if they stop trading ?

Competition is good.

The same applies to the bulkhead suppliers.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 08:03:56 PM »

I'm referring more to using "own style" parts rather than date incorrect items, but both are irritating. Even moreso is giving the manufacturer all the info needed, plus hundreds of photos, and they still get it wrong. And then the phone call to discuss is met with a groan rather than "very sorry about that sir, we will rectify it immediately"  I know I'm not alone in having that experience. However as I said earlier for a standard 88" chassis there are good products out there, it's when you need bespoke that you seem to encounter problems.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 08:21:01 PM »

I recall, back in the day, a rather picky friend dragging me round the record department of WH Smith.  As he walked away from the counter with his purchase the girl said " ...and don't forget to bring it back".

I suspect he had "previous" on the matter.

:-X   
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 08:44:08 PM »

Hi,

My first new chassis rebuild was a 88" S1. I went  to Marsland, as they were nearest (delivery costs money). I don't think Richards were making S1 chassis in those days ... but neither were Marsland.  However, they sold me an S3, with a couple of modifications (after discussions/suggestions). The only potential problem was the width of the bulkhead out-riggers, but as the apprentices at the Ford Axle plant were making a "lookalike" S1 bulkhead to MY drawings., the longer outriggers worked to my advantage.

My other two rebuilds, an 88 and a 109 were on Richards chassis.

I cannot say that I noticed any differences in quality, so any future future purchase will be based on service, delivery times, delivery cost, and of course purchase price. Since I moved house, Marsland are a lot further away, and I see no reason to change from Richards ... who offer a discount to club members. Maybe others do too, but they haven't told me, and I haven't asked.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 12:27:48 PM »

From Facebook...

Shortly we will be migrating the "Davey Chassis" business over to my sister company "Mad About Mud". The name "Davey Chassis" will be dropped completely, so please address all enquiries to "Mad About Mud" or myself and Rob as you have been in the past. Nothing else has changed, we are still making quality chassis and will still take orders, although we hope to be able to sell from stock very soon.
Please note that the old "Davey Chassis" website has been taken over by a Chinese company after the subscription lapsed, there is nothing we can do about it, so please disregard this site.

Personally I'd not see that as exactly confidence inspiring ?  No stock, working hand to mouth and let their trade-name website slip ?  Hmmmm.

Edited...so I had a look at Companies House. Several near misses with compulsory action to strike them off the register, accounts overdue, voluntary action to be struck off.  Even less inspiring.

All good comments Gene but not unusual , I knew of a family of narrowboat builders who kept moving premises and going bust , changing names etc. All a bit off putting but they were widely regarded as the dogs dodas when it came to their work - I know because we owned one for a while .

It seems that smaller companies / one man bands etc find it hard to keep afloat whilst building and then getting paid for their work.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 06:28:54 PM »

Hi,

My first S1 new chassis rebuild used a Marsland S3 chassis ... all that appeared to be available at the time.

Everything S1 (88") fitted, except the bulkhead outriggers were too long.  But as I was home-brewing my own S1  version bulkhead, that worked to my advantage .... my "A-pillars" were 50x50x3mm SHS, which centred perfectly on the S3 bulkhead outrigger bolts ... no need for "feet".

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.