S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feelander over heating.  (Read 896 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Feelander over heating.
« on: November 27, 2021, 05:01:16 AM »

Hi,

I've noticed the Freelander getting a bit hot at the end of a journey. Last weekend it was boiling frantically after only three miles (daughter's house to my house).

I told Barbara to order two, one gallon(ish) cans of pre-mixed antifreeze, and was then frowned at for not using them the minute they arrived.  >:D

Now we come to the tragic bit ... there was only room in the "bottle" for less than a pint of new coolant.  ???

I did about a five mile road test ... temperature gauge sat on the middle of the dial.

Suggestions on a post-card please. All I can think of was a stuck thermostat ... but if so, why is it now unstuck?

I'm unable to check the fans (2) are working without a long journey ... probably today, when I fetch our daughter, and return her later. Watch this space.

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
Re: Feelander over heating.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 09:38:17 AM »

Is it powered by the infamous K series petrol engine?

Chris.

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 11:09:55 AM »

K-seal it and get rid.  :-X :-X :-X
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

Simon K.

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2721
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »

I believe its a diesel, but get rid of it anyway, its a millstone round your neck, you only need 1 vehicle and your wifes buzzbox Hyundai will do for now. If you want electric, just buy an old Nissan Leaf, its 60 mile range will be plenty for your needs,

Simon.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »

Agree with all the above. Get shot and good riddance! Cooling system when being properly refilled is a vacuum fill process. Not that easy at home, but possible.
Speaking from multiple bitter experiences with this supposedly wonderful BMW diesel engine and having been  on the receiving end of multiple customer complaints globally about the Freelander 1 in general, all I can do is repeat what I (and multiple others) said above. Get shot and move on...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 06:59:24 PM »

Hi,

The over heating did not re-occur, and I haven't looked at the coolant level since.

Barbara has agreed to trade in her Hyundai, for another new car ... automatic, and with all necessary disability aids.

I will be researching VAT exemption ... the C&E spiel says the car must be "substantially" and "permanently" modified, whatever that means. ???

I suppose I'll have to go back to the "base" legislation.

In the same vein ... I've met two of Barbara's Social Workers, who are unaware that she is entitled to a Disability Facilities Grant to make our garden accessible and safe. I can copy the legislation to anybody interested. Unfortunately, our savings limit the amount to a maximum of £1,000, above which we would be means tested. But I understand that we can keep on going back for more £1.000 bites of the cherry.

PS, You can get a DFG for central heating, but only for rooms occupied by the disabled person. Hmmm! Where can you get a new boiler that is selective about which rooms it heats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.