S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulled !  (Read 1346 times)

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Pulled !
« on: June 07, 2022, 02:48:29 PM »

Heading into Stirling yesterday I was flagged down by the Police, directed into an area where they usually ( but very infrequently) check HGVs. It seems that on this occasion they were stopping a random selection of everything, cars, vans and HGVs. About half a dozen Traffic Police and a car-load of DVSA inspectors. Checked ownership, Insurance, MOT and Tax, all the lights, tyre tread depth and tried to move the vehicle with the handbrake on... all good and "on your way, thank you".

Personally I think they should be doing this a lot more often ?

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Ian F

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7756
  • .:
Re: Pulled !
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 02:51:18 PM »

What were you driving?

Ian F
1961 SWB Basic petrol 2.25

George1990

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6900
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 03:08:34 PM »

A nice old Merc I'm spying. Late 80s/early 90s/? I'm my oldest one at the moment. A 1997 W210 E280. Their first V6 which carried over into all the later models
1968 RAF 2a 88 bitsa
1980 6 pot S3 109

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 05:52:01 PM »

What were you driving?

Ian F

1997 Merc SLK

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 03:03:42 PM »

Well, hardly any accidents are caused by faulty vehicles. I think it's a strategy to let them check for drugs and alcohol and other illegal stuff in your vehicle (weapons, in the USA where I'm from). Accidents are usually caused by bad driving.

I was pulled over here in my 109 once, for inspection, and I was petrified. I had never been pulled over by police before. Luckily Mr. Lucas showed up instead of Dr. Prince of Darkness, and all the indicators, etc. worked. I was so nervous that I even gave the policeman my residency permit instead of my driver's license.

What I think they should do, more, is force drivers to pass a theory test at regular intervals, for those whose test was decades ago and who dont know the new rules, markings, etc.

The farmers here would say that the police need to check if people can reverse to let a tractor by on a narrow lane. People drop off the side of the road, crash into hedges, etc. because they haven't practiced reversing in years. It's pretty fun to watch sometimes!

Jeremy

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »

A theory re-test would be good if it could be implemented/admin/enough staff/testing places.

Far, far better - and much more important would be eyesight tests and physical mobility and reaction testing.

Would be nice little money earners - at £50 a time ???

Weed out the blind, the weak and idiot drivers  :fir
It won't happen - not a vote winner, but it's what's needed.
Who's a then ?

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 05:06:44 PM »

Whilst I agree that such spot checks are useful, I wish they would do more at the dead of night.

That's when Defenders are being stolen and when farm telehandlers are being taken, driven for miles and crashed into ATMs!

None of these ever seem to get stopped.....
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

2H

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 07:19:54 PM »

Whilst I agree that such spot checks are useful, I wish they would do more at the dead of night.

That's when Defenders are being stolen and when farm telehandlers are being taken, driven for miles and crashed into ATMs!

None of these ever seem to get stopped.....

You would have to wonder why someone driving a JCB of some form late at night early hours would be doing, perhaps they get ignored but for what reason.

strang

• Chassis welder
  • Euro-leafing to infinity and beyond
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 07:48:36 PM »

This happened to me a few years ago. I was driving to work in my Series One, wearing a shirt and tie. I got flagged down by a young copper and directed into a local haulage yard. When I got there it was full of various dodgy looking vans. All the main agencies were also present, carrying out full checks on all the vehicles. Eventually a Police Sgt came over and apologised for me getting pulled. He explained that the young copper had been instructed to pull all dodgy looking vehicles driving along the main road - and he obviously thought I fitted that category. I was then allowed to go, but still surprised that I hadn't been dipped to check for red diesel at least.

daugs

• .:
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 07:55:45 PM »

few years back was pulled over in my lwt for allegedly speeding. I was offered the opportunity of a speed awareness course, which I decided was a better course of action, since my main defence would have been the incredulity of being able to speed in an old series landy with a standard 2.25 engine, and the measured speed was clearly wrong despite all the technology......
David

1975 SIII Lightweight with Essex V6 conversion in bits (53GF29)
1974 SIII Lightweight (72AM66 - formerly with RAF Lossiemouth)
1971 Sankey narrow track (68FK00)
1959 Austin Healey 3000 2 seater (BN7)

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 08:05:58 PM »

I think I've related this tale before on here, but....

Some years ago my good lady was pulled and directed to a car park for Diesel dipping as she was driving our white van.
However, it was an electric van (Citroen Berlingo-E), but it took a while to get the correct person to talk to as she was waiting in the queue.
Eventually they had a look - she lifted the bonnet to prove it and they let her on her way.

If they had dipped the tank they'd have found red Diesel   :neener
The cab was heated with a Webasto Diesel heater, fed from a small tank which used the original van's filler   :first
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 08:41:52 PM »

Hi,

My side-kick in Malaya told me he had been pulled for speeding (in UK) and was offered the choice of being booked, or driving as fast as possible, with the Copper in pursuit.

After about five miles, the copper gave him a wave of thanks, and dropped back.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 23 queries.