S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chassis replacement for series 2a 88  (Read 551 times)

Martin

Chassis replacement for series 2a 88
« on: June 02, 2023, 09:33:08 PM »

Looking for thoughts and opinions on the preferred (and why) chassis replacement for a series 2a 88.
Richards? Marsland ? other ?
What would you recommend

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Chassis replacement for series 2a 88
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 09:58:53 PM »

Having spent a lot of time talking with Marsland at the Malvern show, I was really impressed with them. We discussed how the chassis are built and they identified every variation appropriate for the model year I was talking about. They do a galvanised version, with an option of a heavy duty powder coat on top. Its not cheap, but ticked a lot of boxes for me. Delivery / Lead times are far better than Richards (based on the last quote I had from them) and I think the quality is spot on. I'm seriously considering a Marsland frame under my Station Wagon.

Plenty of people have had good experience with Richards and I had no problems building on a Shielder chassis two years ago, so best seek other opinions, but based on my Malvern impression, Marsland get my vote.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 10:16:09 PM »

also +1 on a Marsland, got one under an 88" and its perfect, about 20 years old now, still as good as new.

had 3 richards chassis, one very good, one decent, one meh. with a twisted out rigger they didn't want to know about.
plus the galv finish on them is random at best. not exactly their fault, but chunks of mine was silver spray rather than galvanising, guess it didn't stick, only noticed after I sprayed t-wash on it  :thud

currently building one on a richards again and after the galv issues and other odd bits, the back of my mind wishes I went marsland...
but already painted it now and stuck through it. anyway enough complaining...

the 1st richards chassis I had was very good though, not a single issue and the galv was also very good on it, perfect even, so its pretty random.

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 09:48:07 AM »

Really like the of being able to have the chassis powder coated on top of Galv if it will stick, saves a lot of faff painting.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 11:17:22 AM »

Best talk to them about how they powder coat it as its a far more involved exercise than I realised. It's certainly tough which goes against my current experience of most accessories for LR which are powder coated. I'd do it, but its £500 on top. My thinking though is that if you think of the cost of paint, time, T wash, primers, blood lost and so on, is £500 on top such a costly add on?

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 07:43:48 PM »

My paint bill for the 2B chassis, etch primer, base coat and top coat (which admittedly is a far bigger chunk of steel than a 88) was over £350 delivered although that included aerosols of wax to spray inside as well. Factoring in time and the number of paintbrushes that the base coat eats you would be close to 500 notes I’m sure

I will have enough paint for axles and everything else that should be black (and maybe more over) so not so bad but when it comes time to do the 109 to me £500 to have it turn up in black and just start bolting bits on is a decent price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.