S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most useful accessories for 'working' Land Rovers  (Read 2776 times)

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Re: Most useful accessories for 'working' Land Rovers
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2023, 01:19:55 AM »

I think we can probably all agree that a heated windscreen, overdrive and accessory 12V cigar lighter / USB socket are all seriously useful bits of kit that add worthwhile benefit to an old Series, but what else ranks as 'must have' kit???  ???

I got banned for life from the Guns-n-Rovers forum due to the 12V cigar light and telescopic ashtray.  One of the main moderators basically told me I was an idiot and there was no such thing as an actual Land Rover cigar lighter and that Land Rover didn't offer an ashtray until the early '70s.

After spending a few weeks of being ridiculed over it I was able to provide proof - then I got banned.  The gent and I butted heads over a few other items, but evidently the cigar light was the last straw, he didn't like being called out evidently.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2023, 09:28:40 AM »

From 1965 parts book 4705 ,Ashtray 320576, except North America . Ashtray 337985  North  America

• Master of the oils
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2023, 12:07:03 PM »

My 2a had the ashtray.

As a non smoker I kept my fuel cap padlock key in it.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2023, 03:35:52 PM »

From 1965 parts book 4705 ,Ashtray 320576, except North America . Ashtray 337985  North  America

Are those the ones that look similar to the one in the two pics below?  I keep thinking the late '60s and early '70s version were a little more flat in profile but with a front that looked like those below.  I searched the numbers you gave and came up with nothing.

The pre-'65 was just called 'telescopic ashtry' as far as I can tell.  There is a small number next to it, just not sure if that is the drawing number or a part number. Last picture is from the early shop manuals optional equipment section.  IIRC this type of ashtry was first used in the Rover Saloon car.

It's a rather bad placement design as well - open the vent and get a face of ash!!  Most people I know of that have them (mine hasn't been reinstalled yet) keep change, keys, mints or whatnot in it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.