S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery terminal clamps  (Read 1526 times)

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
Battery terminal clamps
« on: November 28, 2022, 09:27:40 AM »

I need to order battery clamps,
I was going to purchase the clamps with the 2 screws on the top to secure the cable and crimp the cables onto the lugs as I have access to a industrial crimp. Looking for advice is this the correct way to go or should I be looking to solder?

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
Re: Battery terminal clamps
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 10:11:41 AM »

I for one do not understand what you mean.
You were going to go with terminals that clamp around the battery posts, the clamps having two screws to secure the cables.
You were going the crimp the cables onto the lugs, --- what lugs? Perhaps picture them to help clear this terminology muddle.
Only after the 'lug' riddle is clarified can the question around the crimp / solder preference be addressed.

As a general guidance, unless you have historical experience with soldering, possibly including professional standard training (I have both) I would plump for crimping, especially given the modern availability of crimpers, purely manual or hydraulic.

Regards.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 10:14:51 AM »

I fitted battery clamps with a separate post terminal. The main cables have a ring fitting which simply bolts on the post.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 11:03:47 AM »

1) Buy those. There's better but they will do.
2) Clean your copper as the other thread.
3) Dip  in plumber's flux.
3) Clean those clamps within an inch of their lives.
4) Dip  in plumber's flux.
4) Clamp down tinned-copper.
5) Make sure you've shrink-wrap tubing on before the final-fix
6) Blow-lamp to joints,  feed solder in.
7) Shrink-wrap the lot.

You have a professional 'solder and clamp' joint. It will outlast you.
If everything  is spotless, shiny and covered in flux you've no more need professional training than you need instruction on how to *&%$

You have joined the 'Soldering illuminati' Never lash-in a crimp again.
"He looks too cheap to me to be of good quality."

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 11:37:09 AM »

I too don't properly understand what you are trying to do.
I have seen several different kinds of clamp:

1) as pictured. You twist the end of the cable so that it forms a tight bundle small enough to push inside the tube without odd strands refusing to go in, then tighten the two screws. In my experience that is not very satisfactory. It works well on a small scale in a plug or a light switch, but tends just to split up the strands so that it ends up only being properly held by some of the strands.
It does work well however if you you firstly run solder into the whole twisted end so that the screws are squeezing a solid lump of soft metal.

2) Solder the cable onto a flat metal lug which you then bolt onto the securing clamp.

3) Solder the cable into a covered clamp that has a taper that matches the battery terminal, twist it a bit to grind the mating lead surfaces, and secure with a small self-tapping screw into the end of the battery terminal.

4) Any of these but crimping the lead clamp rather than soldering.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 12:04:12 PM »

I have seen battery cables made by crimping a tube onto the end of the cable then that gets pushed inside the battery clamp and the two screws tightened.

I have clamp on cable ends the same as in your photo and haven't had a problem with them. Many people advise against soldering cables as it creates a stress point where the rigid solder ends and the flexible cable starts. Only an issue if you expecting the cable to be flexed off course.

Craig.

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 01:31:24 PM »

I will try to clarify what I need to do.
Fit new battery leads, one end will need a battery clamp and the other end will need a lug ring.
I was asking how good are the battery clamps, as in the picture and advice on the lug ring should it be crimped or soldered? I have a industrial crimper but if crimping the lug onto the cable is not advisable then I will solder them on.
Picking up on what the previous reply's are. Soldering is best.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 01:51:29 PM »

Have a search online for "Soldering Vs Crimping"
Crimping is not done just because it's faster, it does have a number of advantages and how many soldered joints do you see on modern cars?

Having said that, I solder smaller connections on car wiring as well but mainly because I'm never satisfied with the result from hand crimping tools.

Craig.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 02:39:22 PM »

Professional crimping is fine, but beyond the reach/scope of most home mechanics - as I posted earlier.

Rubbish crimping vs rubbish soldering  ???
Who's a then ?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 05:05:56 PM »

I bought a very good hand crimping tool made by Laser from a local motor factor recently. I used it when making an earth wire for the tank fuel sender and it's does a good job and feels well made.£10

Henryac

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 8086
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 07:06:24 PM »

I usually use clamps just like these.

I usually tin the wire then fit to the clamp. A good swill with bakers fluid. For a bit of extra bite I get some copper pipe. Snip off a think curved section (1/8 th of the circumference)
Knock that in the clamp ontop of the wire so your two screws have something to bite down onto. Then warm it all up so the solder flows. Solder the ends up done👍

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 12:05:57 AM »

I usually use clamps just like these.

I usually tin the wire then fit to the clamp. A good swill with bakers fluid. For a bit of extra bite I get some copper pipe. Snip off a think curved section (1/8 th of the circumference)
Knock that in the clamp ontop of the wire so your two screws have something to bite down onto. Then warm it all up so the solder flows. Solder the ends up done👍

Hallelujah. For a high current application, and in this case we can be running 300Amps, best solder. For  low current crimp. But as Wittsend says, if you're going to do either badly it won't matter.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 09:34:18 AM »

Fit new battery leads, one end will need a battery clamp and the other end will need a lug ring.

Hi Mike,

I never throw away old battery leads, as I reckon a factory crimp is better than anything that I can produce.  The difficult bit is searching my big box of cables for the right length cables with the required terminals.

I don't know the price of Halfords new cables, or even ifvthey stock them, so best to shufti the Vehicle Auto Electrics catalogue that you keep in your Technical Library, especially for the occasion.

If your battery posts and clamps get hot, or even release smoke, you have a poor connection. If the soleniod makes a "Gattling" noise, it's probably the battery Earth cable failing to carry the amperage. I've only heard that twice in 60 odd years.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 09:43:16 AM »

If a good crimp can be achieved then that would suffice in my book . After all most yacht and sailing dinghy rigging is crimped and I’ve never had one part , even with ‘smooth ‘ rod type rigging

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 05:56:24 PM »

Arrrgh!  :-\

Tinning stranded wire before fitting it to a screwed clamp is a no-no for several reasons, not just the stress one mentioned. Best way for a screwed connection is to crimp a ferrule on first, then screw it up, next best is plain wire. If you're worried about corrosion, smear it with Vaseline or silicone grease.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.