S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There are some lovely people out there.  (Read 720 times)

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
There are some lovely people out there.
« on: January 14, 2023, 03:39:34 PM »

Whist having some signage altered at work, I started chatting to the sign guy about Land Rovers.

The next day he gave me this!

That chap really made my day.🏆🍺👌

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: There are some lovely people out there.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 03:40:56 PM »

Now that is a thing of beauty ! 

:first :first :first
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 05:02:06 PM »

Indeed there are - that's very nice.
A few years ago I had driven over to a mate of mine to play guitar (a fairly regular weekly event) when there was a ring on the doorbell. A chap standing there asked if the owner of the Land Rover was here ........ to which my mate said yes and asked him in. He said he had driven past many times, seen my '61 2a  from time to time and rememebred he had both volumes of the WSM. He kept them in his van until he saw my Land Rover this particualr day and we went out and he gave them to me!! Wouldn't take anything for them either. We did offer him a 'jam session' but he declined ....... as he had never payed guitar!
Still got them on my bookshelf.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 06:33:19 PM »

Hi,

OT. My daughter recently presented us with the "long-hand" text badge saying "Sabre Six" (that originally adorned the rear of Barbara's Reliant Sabre 6GT - Registration 361WYD), in a glass fronted picture frame.

That badge has to be pretty rare, as they only manufactured 76 "Sixes", but I don't know if that included the three Monte Carlo Rally cars ... and I remember somebody mentioning a 77th car. Maybe that was the convertible that crawled out of the woodwork.

Sabre 4s (Ford Consul engine) were more common, I think there were a thousand "Fours".

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 06:35:20 PM »

I have had nice land rover gifts from complete strangers as well. At a car show on Saltspring Island 5-6 years ago I had a guy go home and bring me back a big box of new spare parts from his old Landrover, including one of the vinyl covered instrument panels for a Nada. I had no clue what model that vinyl dash belonged to now I do.

Victor
1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 06:43:33 PM »

That's a nice gift Kev!

Although not a gift as such around ten years ago I was parked up in a public car park in my ex military 90 when an older chap approached and said "the antique shop over there has a big box of lights for one of those" and sure enough there was a bread tray stacked with NOS military lights, all colours of lens and convoy lights, the sign said £1 each so I bought the lot!.

Recently a friend paid me for doing a transport job with two decent FFR tilts, 88" and 109" and an original early 60's dealership folder detailing all optional and accessories.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 07:20:55 PM »

Sort of Landrover related and an offer declined by me, and regretted ever since.
Many years ago a friend of my Dads, Jim, asked would I take some 'rubbish' to the tip for him in my '63 109.
Amongst the stuff was a bureau, we emptied it out. Found several uncashed Cheques and a small leather bound box with Gold inscription from Cunard.
We opened it up and there was a very nice Rolex !
Do you want it he asked ? Dumbfounded I muttered and spluttered. Much as I would like a Rolex I declined.
You sure he asked, been in there for years. I did not think it right so thanked him and said no.
Jim was a GP, who also worked for Cunard doing Medicals for Senior Staff.
Tragically he succumbed to Alzheimers, his Wife had the house cleared and quite possibly the Rolex too ?
 :thud

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 08:33:25 PM »

I'd have taken the Rolex graciously. I can't reach those heights but I treated myself recently to a "pre owned' (second hand) Tag Heuer Aston Martin Racing watch.
My late mate who ran a Land Rover business used to let me help myself to bits and pieces and I'd do odd jobs or drive him somewhere in return. That's how I got my hand throttle.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 09:57:47 PM »

I'd have taken the Rolex graciously. I can't reach those heights but I treated myself recently to a "pre owned' (second hand) Tag Heuer Aston Martin Racing watch.
My late mate who ran a Land Rover business used to let me help myself to bits and pieces and I'd do odd jobs or drive him somewhere in return. That's how I got my hand throttle.
One of life's little regrets. Apparently his wife thought nothing of it and lumped it in with a host of his other belongings is what I heard.
Aye a job for a job is always good. I had my old garage built with a bit of bartering.

• Master of the oils
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 12:10:35 PM »

Is it an ex dealership sign?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.