S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Most useful accessories for 'working' Land Rovers  (Read 2824 times)

Ed Straker

• Director
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3460
  • .:
Re: Most useful accessories for 'working' Land Rovers
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2023, 12:38:40 PM »

I have picked up a Tirfor TU 16 , Tirfor T.13 and a T516 for pennies recently two came with unused cables on a spool holder.

They are a handy bit of kit for pulling a tree log or gentle 'measured' self recovery when traveling solo.

Easy to throw in the back when needed.

Jamie

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2023, 01:15:33 PM »

fastidious attention to detail of parts used and setup is all that's necessary.

Good for the classic-use. Unfortunately that doesn't work for a 'working' Land rover. We're found doing them again in 3-4 months, usually in the freezing cold.

"He looks too cheap to me to be of good quality."

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2023, 12:33:29 PM »

Always fancied a hand-throttle.
With farm-jacks on the list, we must give honorary mention. Along with umpteen jerry-cans, it’s ‘The hat’. Never been able to source mine. Rarely seen in the wild. Come any LR event, without fail you’ll see 2-3 about the place. You know the one.
Not quite Croc Dundee, more pound-shop cowboy. Leather or ‘camo’, usually lbrown leather, sometimes worn with a tassle/boot-lace tie. ‘The hat’ is often casually tossed on the passenger seat. If the Dutch are in force, (think Billing) near always they complete the ensemble with an matched ankle-length brown leather coat, but then again, they’re Dutch.

Always looks a tad suspicious to me, only who am I to say? Come on, arbiters of fashion,  ‘fess up: who has one, and does it have a part number?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2023, 01:30:25 PM »

I was very lucky with my hand throttle. A mate had a Series 3 with a rear mounted sprayer and the hand throttle was still fitted. He was breaking the Land Rover and I got the hand throttle and all linkages for nothing.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

GRMac

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6064
  • .:
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2023, 02:13:37 PM »

Good for the classic-use. Unfortunately that doesn't work for a 'working' Land rover. We're found doing them again in 3-4 months, usually in the freezing cold.

Ah, so sayeth the wise arbitrator of what a 'working' land rover is.

Are we taking 'working' to mean functional? To mean used frequently? To mean working in a field as the original conception? To mean meeting the average mileage per year of a car in the UK? What about mileage vs usage as I'm sure I use my brakes a lot more in the traffic on the school run for a couple of miles but less if I'm doing the 30 mile round drive to work? So many ambiguities  :thud

• Master of the oils
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2023, 02:28:30 PM »

Harvey frost tow jib for the period look.

Penny hydraulics Lucas swing lift crane 500kg model.

Mod put them on the ordinance 130 and similar.

Logs, engines whatever, just use the outrigger leg to stop listing!

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2023, 02:59:24 PM »

Ah, so sayeth the wise arbitrator of what a 'working' land rover is.

Are we taking 'working' to mean functional? To mean used frequently? To mean working in a field as the original conception? To mean meeting the average mileage per year of a car in the UK? What about mileage vs usage as I'm sure I use my brakes a lot more in the traffic on the school run for a couple of miles but less if I'm doing the 30 mile round drive to work? So many ambiguities  :thud

I take your point. I took it that 'working' would mean 'in use' most days. If 'working' means 'starts and goes'....

angello

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6659
  • .:
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2023, 09:26:07 PM »

My definition of 'working' for the purposes of this thread was a Land Rover used largely as originally intended - doing jobs on the land, logging, fencing, baling, trundling across fields, muddy lanes, rescuing less manly vehicles than Land Rovers, tending livestock, plus all the usual car jobs like going to the pub  :cheers

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2023, 09:36:56 PM »

I don't use my Land Rover to go to the pub. I walk there with the dog, no worries about how much I can drink then.
It's a pleasant 40 minute walk each way.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2023, 10:47:18 PM »

My definition of 'working' for the purposes of this thread was a Land Rover used largely as originally intended - doing jobs on the land, logging, fencing, baling, trundling across fields, muddy lanes, rescuing less manly vehicles than Land Rovers, tending livestock, plus all the usual car jobs like going to the pub  :cheers

Pretty much my definition of a working Land Rover to Angelo, except going to the pub. I don’t drink much anyway, and at my age driving and drinking are a no-no….. :coffee

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2023, 11:23:46 PM »

There is no such thing as "most useful accessory." We used to fit whatever was required for the duration of a particular job. Weld a rack to the bumper and rear cross member
for carrying long pipes or timber. pop rivet sheets of iron to the hoops to make a hard top, replace the front hoop with a more sturdy one to go shooting etc etc.
As you can see I'm one of those 'previous owners' people are so fond of complaining about.
.W.
You did say 'working' L/R

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
Most useful accessories fo Land Rovers
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2023, 02:40:11 AM »

The list. 'Most useful accessories for Land Rovers'

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2023, 03:14:03 AM »

Hi,

I would have thought that Land Rover themselves would have already filled any "need" for accessories, so the question might be "Which of the available accessories should we fit first?"
(Tow ball/pin hitch and 12" drop plate). Or were you asking for ideas for extending the list of available accessories? (Hi-ab device for lifting heavy spare wheels onto the bonnet, or up onto a Safari door.)

We recently had a request for suggestions about lifting "locked and loaded" bee-hives into a Land Rover.

PS. Overtaken by Others, in last few minutes. Visions of a LR "Tanker" ... huge alluminium cask sitting in the tub, tap stuck out the back.

PPS. Engine lifting jib clevis pinned to, and projecting forward from, the from bumper, for lifting out mate's engines.

How about a "pram" hood, as fitted to pre-war MG sports cars, but more sophisticated than the Austin Champ "folding tarp". Or a "rear fill" fuel tank, similar to the LWB tank, to give more space for tools etc under the seats.

One "device" that I found useful, was were two planks of wood, one inch less than the height of the rear seat boxes, "nailed" to the sides of the seat boxes, to support a (36" x 40"?) sheet of 1" WBP plywood lying flush with the tops of the seat boxes, thus making the entire area of the tub flat all over, with a secret storage area underneath. Room to hide a large trolley jack and a tool box. A SWB rim and tyre will also fit out of sight, but a LWB rim and tyre will need extra contriving ... not difficult.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2023, 08:36:29 AM »

I'd define mine as a working LR for sure, it's done most of the stuff on angello's list, plus lugging gas welding gear about, a myriad of tools, bricks, lumps of wood, metal scrap, etc etc.. list is endless
As mentioned before it's my only vehicle, period. It has no "accessories" and functions daily perfectly well thank you very much!
I sometimes think, when folk rattle off a list of stuff they've fitted to a LR, that what they really want is simply a modern car, plenty of those available..!  :cheers

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2023, 09:00:14 AM »

..... or a "look at me, look at me" car.
.W.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.