S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Charging a battery powered car at home.  (Read 1174 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Charging a battery powered car at home.
« on: January 13, 2023, 07:05:15 PM »

Hi,

A couple of days ago, I notice that my "next-door-neighbour but two" has a car-charging point nailed to the front wall of his house , I think with a wire into his meter box.

I must knock on his door and introduce myself. I have already done a Google for these devices, but have forgotten the details.

Do street-side meters provide a VAT receipt for Business users? I assume that home chargers have a meter dedicated to vehicle charging, and the Revenue Men will be able to compare the "miles used for business" claimed, with other business evidence? Will the installation cost of the meter be VAT and IR tax deductable? Ditto battery powered Disability vehicle chargers?
Tears before bedtime?

Would anybody care to comment on the advisability, or otherwise, of "buying" a new car on PCP ... let the hire company pay to replace the batteries, when the hire period ends?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Charging a battery powered car at home.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 08:52:17 PM »

Hope you have deep pockets if you want an EV charging point.

If you're not a business users I wouldn't worry about that.

Rather than outright purchase consider leasing a vehicle, all the rage now.

Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 06:37:12 AM »

Rather than outright purchase consider leasing a vehicle, all the rage now.

Hi Alan,

Is that PERSONAL CONTRACT HIRE (or something like that)?

If so, it's already in mind, but not yet investigated. I believe the money men hit you in the wallet if you exceed your forecast mileage? Barbara's Hyundai's HP was paid off, while still below 10,000 miles, and it's first MOT.

I'm trying to forecast whether Barbara will ever get out of bed again, which would justify a WAV.

And yet again, our "ladies" have arrived,. Doh! Its 06.35hrs! 605,

I have a bloke this morning. :thud

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 10:23:01 AM »

Be funny if/when they start doing these much threatened power cuts.. Where will the wonderful electric cars be then eh?  :shakeinghead

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 10:31:37 AM »

.... and you'll soon be paying road tax for EVs  :shakeinghead

whereas my little diesel Fiesta is nil £s tax (just renewed yesterday) and 60 mpg  :first

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 11:02:45 AM »

A new EV charge point in a home requires installation of a "smart" meter :shakeinghead. This will allow your EV to be used as a battery at peak times to boil someone else's kettle. They will also need to assess whether your supply is capable of supporting the extra load.
If you just tootle about locally then maybe worth it, if you ignore the actual cost of the vehicle, but for anyone living out in the sticks like me it would be madness - the infrastructure just isnt there. Leasing is not cheap either.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 11:21:49 AM »

I see tesla just knocked a few grand off the price of their cars much to the annoyance of a neighbour who got one at the old price just before christmas.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 03:10:32 PM »

Hi All,

I would expect a bungalow built in 1984, in Milton Keynes,  to be up to the job of supporting an EV charger.

But hey, what do I know?

richardhula

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5660
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 03:12:29 PM »

A new EV charge point in a home requires installation of a "smart" meter :shakeinghead. This will allow your EV to be used as a battery at peak times to boil someone else's kettle. They will also need to assess whether your supply is capable of supporting the extra load.
If you just tootle about locally then maybe worth it, if you ignore the actual cost of the vehicle, but for anyone living out in the sticks like me it would be madness - the infrastructure just isnt there. Leasing is not cheap either.

Not without an inverter as well.

Not sure why you need a smart meter either ???

As the max 7kW home charger can take up to 32 amps you do need a 100 amp feed into your consumer unit from meter and a spare "way" to feed armoured cable out to outside wall and on to charger though.
Regards - Richard
1966 build S2A(c) 88" 12J hybrid diesel

This nowt wrong wi'owt wot mitherin clutterbucks don't barley grummit!

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 06:03:33 PM »

You dont "need" a smart meter, but apparently they will tell you they need to fit one if you want to use the lower tariffs available for off peak charging. (for a new installation)

Bi directional charging is what the government is working towards https://www.wired.co.uk/article/the-future-of-electric-vehicle-charging-is-bidirectional-if-you-can-afford-it

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2023, 06:18:17 PM »

Hi Worf,

What do you mean by "new installation" ?

Wiring a new house? Or just wiring in a new car battery charger?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2023, 06:25:16 PM »

It has to be hard wired and therefore a qualified electrician must do it as it's a new installation.
Is it really worth the aggro for no gain whatsoever?
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2023, 09:53:44 PM »

A gallon of petrol costs £x (must check) and takes you say 30 miles, how much does electricity cost to drive your same size electric car 30 miles ???

(Overlooking all the other costs but just the "fuel") :stars

richardhula

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5660
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2023, 10:08:18 PM »

You dont "need" a smart meter, but apparently they will tell you they need to fit one if you want to use the lower tariffs available for off peak charging. (for a new installation)

Bi directional charging is what the government is working towards https://www.wired.co.uk/article/the-future-of-electric-vehicle-charging-is-bidirectional-if-you-can-afford-it

The  concept sounds sensible and much like exporting excess PV panel solar power at the moment. The problem is that this energy can never reach the grid per se as the infrastructure is not yet bi-directional. This because the many voltage reducing transformers are designed to work in one direction only supplying the consumer, so exported energy needs to be absorbed on local 240 volt networks. For this reason individual home PV installations are limited without prior permission, to a maximum of around 3.7kW. Obviously those living in towns and cities are more likely to be granted use of larger PV installations if required.

Given this situation it's going to be some time before EV batteries are able to offer unlimited exports. I believe Tesla already offer a power wall that does allow some integration of grid, PV and local battery energy to benefit EV charging though.

linesrg

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2023, 10:12:16 PM »

You don't need/ require a smart meter to have an EV charge point fitted - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1078138/Guide-to-evscp-regulations-2021-V2.1.pdf

You need the install to be provided with a suitable means of communication to allow DSR.

A lot of newer properties may indeed struggle with supporting the loads imposed by EV's and heat pumps going forward.  We routinely pull an average of 80A between 00:30 - 04:30.

We live 12 miles from Huntly/ 15 miles from Inverurie so pretty much out in the sticks and have managed with an EV for 4 1/2yrs (admittedly backed up with diesel Skoda and a 110).

I agree with you on the cost front - despite what the industry said it is a deliberate pricing policy as they could be produced for less.

Regards

Richard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.