S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charging a battery powered car at home.  (Read 1175 times)

linesrg

• Chassis welder
  • .:
Re: Charging a battery powered car at home.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 10:23:39 PM »

The  concept sounds sensible and much like exporting excess PV panel solar power at the moment. The problem is that this energy can never reach the grid per se as the infrastructure is not yet bi-directional. This because the many voltage reducing transformers are designed to work in one direction only supplying the consumer, so exported energy needs to be absorbed on local 240 volt networks. For this reason individual home PV installations are limited without prior permission, to a maximum of around 3.7kW. Obviously those living in towns and cities are more likely to be granted use of larger PV installations if required.

Given this situation it's going to be some time before EV batteries are able to offer unlimited exports.

I'm not sure from what point of knowledge you post so I'll try and be precise in my reply.

How much of the network do you think is non bi-directional?  The prescribed limit per phase is 16A but, with the DNO agreement this can be 'stretched' to 32A as it is here with us with a limit of 7.4kW imposed by SSEN.  The power from our property goes directly to the PMT and into an 11kV line.

Managing this on a larger scale with ever increasing amounts of installed Solar PV/ batteries.

Generally speaking the two issues with V2G is the current unwillingness of manufacturers to agree a standard or even whether the converter should be fitted to the car or the inverter/ charger unit attached to the house - likely to end up in the unit attached to the house.  This will be a pain and will need subsidy for wide adoption amongst an ever increasing install of normal EV chargers.

Regards

Richard

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 11:19:46 PM »

You don't need/ require a smart meter to have an EV charge point fitted - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1078138/Guide-to-evscp-regulations-2021-V2.1.pdf

Look like I have confused smart meter with smart charger.  :stars Either way, someone other than you can co9ntrol things.

Look like I have confused smart meter with smart charger. Either way, someone other than you can control things#

"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 04:39:50 AM »

It has to be hard wired and therefore a qualified electrician must do it as it's a new installation.

Hi,

My builder is Irish ... with a degree, but I have not yet asked to see the evidence. On the other hand, I have no reason to doubt him. A lovely man.

When we first met, to discuss the re-installation of a "slipper" bath (the previous owner/occupier had changed to a wheel-chair friendly shower), which seemed a good idea at the time, as Barbara was still walking). he suggested cutting the outer wall away beneath the window, and extending the bathroom into the side-passage between bungalow and garage.
I think there was £10,000 difference between a flat roof over the extension, or linking the two pitched roofs. The bungalow and garage use the same roof trusses, but at 90* to each other,
The bungalow is nominally 7 metres wide, while the garage is nominally 7 metres long.

His latest suggestion is to extend the bathroom into the stupidly narrow "man-cave", thereby halving it's work-shop floor area, but we have not given that any serious consideration, yet. Our most urgent task is getting Barbara out of bed, and into her power-chair.

Do not grow old ... it hurts ... and is expensive..

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.