S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Bit ot. Alternative fuel payments  (Read 452 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Bit ot. Alternative fuel payments
« on: March 16, 2023, 02:55:12 AM »

Hi,

Even more OT... Google DISABILITY FACILITIES GRANT ELIGIBILITY.

DFGs are means tested, and eligibility is dependant on income (unspecified at first search), and HOUSEHOLD savings not exceeeding £6,000. Dig deeper/elsewhere, and you will find you will be checked to ensure that you have not deliberately spent your savings to make yourself eligible for a DFG. I wonder if paying cash for a WAV falls into that catergory?

Does anybody remember the TV series BREAD?

I won't go into our savings, but the Social Worker that we first dealt with asked if our mortgage lender would agree to a second mortgage. We know they will, as they had already offered a extra £14,000, when we used their second mortgage facility as a FIRST mortgage. (Moving from the South Wales Valleys to a modern bungalow in Milton Keynes came as a not unexpected financial shock.) As far as we know, that offer (and a lot more) is still available. In fact, I have recently seen that lender advertising FIRST mortgages, on (I think) "don't make any repayments until you die" terms. But that means paying (or not paying) compound interest, at 4%, which will hurt, but probably OK if your house is appreciating faster than the interest is compounding.

Barbara insists that we pay off several hundred pounds ( I don't ask) each month, so I assume we are ahead of the game, and can always ask for another bite of the cherry, if the need arises. But probably not a good way to buy a new car.

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
Re: Re: Bit ot. Alternative fuel payments
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 08:23:12 AM »

602 - A lot of benefits and particularly things that come under Care have rules around what they call deliberate deprivation of capital - it’s designed more to stop people passing assets to their children that the council would prefer to take for themselves. Unlikely a single vehicle you need would bother anyone, if you bought a relative a car or maybe bought a classic car to keep in the garage that was high value - that’s the sort of thing they would look for.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
Re: Re: Bit ot. Alternative fuel payments
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 10:26:56 AM »

602 - A lot of benefits and particularly things that come under Care have rules around what they call deliberate deprivation of capital - it’s designed more to stop people passing assets to their children that the council would prefer to take for themselves. Unlikely a single vehicle you need would bother anyone, if you bought a relative a car or maybe bought a classic car to keep in the garage that was high value - that’s the sort of thing they would look for.
This is something that concerns me. My Dad is very proud to think that he is going to leave his house to me and the Grandchildren, probably worth less than £100,000.
Coming from a poor background, his Dad with thirteen of his siblings lived in a back to back. There was seven of us in a council house.
So having worked all his life since National Service he thinks it quite an achievement.
At 85 he is fit and well but I do worry what the future holds.
Well that really was OT ?
Next !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.