S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Door or Wing-mount mirrors? Why would we want one or the other (or both)?  (Read 4934 times)

100+9

The door-mirror thread set me thinking.

I'm on the  cusp of a memory of such things. However with my first car having door-mirrors, and all since, I don't suppose today's drivers will ever experience wing-mount mirrors. I can't even imagine looking at the wing for a mirror, but I'm sure I'd soon get used to it.

With wing-mounts, do some of you prefer them, if so why? What are the 'fors and againsts'? I do remember my fahter putting door-mirrors on, in addition to wing-mounts. These he called overtaking-mirrors...

Be gentle with me, I confess, it's only recently that i had the pleasure of using a starting-handle.

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
Re: Door or Wing-mount mirrors? Why would we want one or the other (or both)?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »

Lots can be written but I suspect the nub of it will be :

1/ You get a different view from each mirror type so each are equally valid

2/ Door mirrors are easier to adjust on the hoof

I have both wing mirrors and a single door mirror.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 07:51:39 AM »

These are what I have fitted
The bracket in the 2nd photo is the prototype.  The real ones are a bit thicker.  They are that shape to avoid cutting the capping.
The mirror heads are from a tractor, I am not a rivet counter and I like to see who is trying to overtake.  They are really good for reversing.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

100+9

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 11:35:42 AM »

That'd be what I'm looking for. It's as I suspected, the actual item doesn't exist hence it's a homebrew. And yes,  rivet-counting is fine, mine is extends to having it look plausibly stock to most. It must be everyday useful. Else I can't drive it. Your solution works.

I can't see me using wing mirrors, but then I've never had them. I'd guess there has to moments, even if rare, when they make the difference. Hence my question, and why I think I'd like to try them.

As from the 'he/She' naming thread, I shall christian mine the 'Brighton-Scooter'.

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 01:03:19 PM »

Wing mirrors are both visible at the same time by only moving the eyes, whereas you have to turn your head to look in door mirrors.
I bet users of wing mirrors on average have stronger eyes because of the constant exercise they get.  :)

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »

I have these ( plus the usual rearview mirror on the middle of windscreen)..and can see very well behind with them from the driver's seat... I wouldn't bother with the wing mounted things as totally useless...

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »

This is another of those topics that keeps going round-&-round. There is no answer.

For my Panda camper, the Land Rover I use the most - I have Defender door hinges to take the Defender mirrors - which are electrically heated  :first
Switched individually, they are very useful at times.
They are ideally positioned so I can see each rear corner of the vehicle and anything coming down either side.
Very useful when reversing - excellent rearward vision.

Now, for my LWT - restored as it came out of the factory - it has the original wing mirrors.
I love them - properly adjusted I can see the rear corners and what's coming down each side. It's just a little harder to see as they give a smaller image.

Horses for courses ???
Who's a then ?

Roger

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5652
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »

I agree with Wittsend - I have the optional chrome wing mirrors on my '67 SW, which is very original.  I do wonder about fitting the more common round ones, but I like the look of mine (sort of sixties Range Rover without the performance).  The main drawback is, as Alan says, the size of the reflected image.  You get used to it though, and anyway the all-round vision in an 88" SW is terrific.

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 06:17:03 PM »

These are S111 but fit a S11
auction: #223752558920
 The spring loaded mirror mounting is a smaller version of the early Defender type
auction: #303116688304

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 06:52:37 PM »

I have both on my 109, plus the internal mirror above the windscreen. I monitor all of them when in traffic though I find the RH hinge mirror useless in that endeavor so I have it set so with a slight lean to the right I can see my offside rear corner when backing up. My wing mirrors are set to see the blind spot in traffic not covered by the hinge and interior mirrors.

100+9

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 01:18:04 AM »

These are S111 but fit a S11
auction: #223752558920
 The spring loaded mirror mounting is a smaller version of the early Defender type
auction: #303116688304

So as not to have others fall into the same trap, there's thread running now on why this won't fly. MRC4583 is S3 and won't fit S2 Brackets.

https://www.series2club.co.uk/new_forum/index.php/topic,1483.0.html

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 06:33:20 AM »

Exactly that is why images my own with the correct centres for the S3 mirror arm.

Quite easy to make and can be designed to miss the capping.  Somewhere I have a pair of the S2 brackets but mine were described as fitting a lightweight.

They do however put the mirrors in a good place.  I have tractor mirror heads but it does give good rearward vision.

Peter

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 09:45:54 AM »

Look to the future!

I like a well-focused wing mirror but accept that there are problems - like getting the thing focused, spring - loaded arms swinging round at speed - admittedly not much of a Land Rover problem, and the damage to the wing they can do if struck.

They're the proper s2 solution to seeing what's going on behind.  The current round mirror heads are convex and mounted in plastic - which does solve the corrosion problem.  Back in the day larger rectangular heads were popular and did give a better view - eg: https://www.paddockspares.com/mir75c-mirror-head-7in-x-5in-convex-glass.html - but they were rather vulnerable.

The nice thing about a door mirror is that if you're getting blinded from behind you can knock it out of focus!

Roger

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5652
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »

If you're getting dazzled from the rear there is one solution that I couldn't possibly recommend.....

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 02:29:07 PM »

The bracket in the 2nd photo is the prototype.  The real ones are a bit thicker.  They are that shape to avoid cutting the capping.

I have made one like this to take a Defender mirror, but it is still in a rough protertype stage and wonder if S111 hinges are the best but not original, answer
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.