S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: CROSSING FOOTPATH TO PARK IN YOUR GARDEN.  (Read 4152 times)

gvo416j R.I.P.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
Re: CROSSING FOOTPATH TO PARK IN YOUR GARDEN.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »

Two problems there ... there is only ONE authorised "Kerb Dropper" in this boro' ... and the kerb is already dropped, but for the benefit of wheel-chair users.  I wonder if the dropped kerb stones are suitably re-inforced?

If the contractor did the job correctly, the answer is YES.

If not, and the kerb subsequently breaks/moves/drops, the onus is on the authority responsible [local or county highways dependent on road type] to correct the problem.

Much simpler in my area in the old days 25+ years ago when I dropped the kerbs for my drive. You sent off the plans for the dropped kerbs, and received in return an envelope with 3 things in it. (1) a price for the authority to do the work, (2) a list of local approved contractors, and (3) a copy of the technical specifications and a form to send off with the installation date/time on it so that the authority could inspect the job if you went DIY

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 08:07:47 AM »

Hi,

Thanks everybody for your helpfull/encouraging replies.  I think I will plough on regardless, deal with any objections, as they arise. But it's nice to know what they can throw at me.

Plan A is to simply chop a gap in the hedge. If challenged on safety grounds, I will reply that I only use the gap to enter my property, and will always exit over the established dropped kerb.

Yes, In recent years (still?), the Planners have insisted that vehicles must be able to exit a property in the same gear that it entered. I have even seen a requirement for a dedicated turning area within the plot ... which must not be obstructed at any time ... not even by wheely-bins? There is no mention of parking on the Planning Approval for my bungalow (dated mid-1980s). The Developers did not seem unduly concerned about how/where visitors would park.

The "edifice" (description used by the Chairman of the Planning Committee) that I built in the Swansea Valley, had 50ft frontage. I settled for only 40ft of dropped kerb ... £2,000, then. If push had come to shove, I reckon that a Hilman Imp could have done a U-turn inside the basement garage.

During the excavation work, the aforementioned Chairman muttered something about "a new quarry in the Valley". I'd dug in 50ft, which left a 10ft high clay cliff at the back end ... the Planners settled for a 45 degree slope.  Yet another biggish tracked excavator and tracked dump truck, to spread it around the garden, both self drive. The sliding doors opened onto a patio on stilts, with a bridge onto the garden proper. How did I get away with it? Dunno!

Barbara was happy to "keep" me and my hobbies, which included the purchase of seven and a half acres, just up the road, and a "heavy" mare and foal in the coal cellar.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 10:03:54 AM »

Hi,

I chopped about a metre of hedge yesterday, hid the cuttings in the back garden. Just another two and a bit metres to chop (loping shears). Hands full of thorns.

Piccies later, when I remember how to down load my camera  ... no slot in my No.1 laptop. Or I might wait until the weekend, when my "bank manager" daughter comes to do the hoovering.

PS. My daughter once called in a plumber. He wanted an hour's fee (£80) for 20 minutes work. So she said he could work off the remaining 40 minutes by hoovering the house. He settled for 20 minutes.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 06:35:51 AM »

Hi,

Another length of hedge removed, and into the wheelie bin, one more day should do it.

Stomach is still churning, following an abusive conversation with an "Old Biddy" down the road, who doesn't like the "state" of my front garden. (Her's is immaculate concrete, mine is "unkept", but not unduly so, and I'm working at it.)

Hmmm! I wonder how she can park two cars, side by side, in her tiny front garden, when the LA will only allow a single dropped kerb?  :cool (Behave yourself, 602!)

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 09:06:55 AM »

Tell her to MYOB... ;)

MineRover

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4451
  • .:
  • 1967 88" & 1964 109"
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 03:20:24 PM »

The 'Drop Kerbs' you mention on corners are called Pram Crossings and are there to aid pedestrians trying to cross the carriageway at that point, cyclists should (ahem) exercise due care when crossing! The kerbstones you mention are the same as those used on vehicle crossings but the footway behind is not constructed to vehicle crossing standard.

Parking on footways is not illegal per se but causing an obstruction is, I believe enforcement of such is still down to the Police, they have to see someone being inconvenienced before they may take action I believe. It really annoys me the number of car left physically blocking the pavement, I always have the desire to walk over the roof (not that brave of foolish).

Damage cased by vehicles repeatedly crossing the footway if it can be attributed to an individual can be recharged. What annoys me is the number of 'Builders' who damage the footway whilst working on an adjacent property (due to them taking no precautions to avoid damage) and then disappear leaving the local authority (the tax payer) to foot the repair bill!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 03:45:00 PM »

Parking on footways is not illegal per se but causing an obstruction is, I believe enforcement of such is still down to the Police, they have to see someone being inconvenienced before they may take action I believe.

Lets face it - it ain't going to happen  :thud

Mind how you go ...  :plod
Who's a then ?

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 04:02:19 PM »

Parking on footways is not illegal per se....

It is up here and has been since October last year.... With several friends who have mobility problems and use wheelchairs, I have to say I think its a sensible idea !

Transport (Scotland) Act 2019. www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2019/17/part/6/crossheading/pavement-parking-prohibition

:tiphat
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 12:45:50 AM »

Hi,

I recently read a MK pamphlet about street parking ... not allowed within 4 metres of a corner, nor 4 metres of a dropped kerb.  Most houses have only 8 to 10 metres frontage, which includes their dropped kerb, say 3 metres, which does not leave room for more than one small car between two houses. This rule not does seem to be enforced.

Me? I have about 40ft frontage, and I guestimate 80+ft "side-age", but due to the corner, assume only one one car in front, and two/three (four?)5uat the side.

The only penalty, for bumping over the kerb, appears to be for them to drop the kerb, and send me the bill. But that would mean me having two dropped kerbs, which isn't allowed.   I suspect that a second dropped kerb would be worth more than it's cost, but only when the bungalow is sold.

Isn't life fun?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 08:42:50 AM »

Hi,

My understanding is that most/many householders own the land in front of their property, as far as the centre of the road. The developer bought lots of land, built the houses, and laid the roads. He sells the individual plots, but not the roads. The householders are responsible for maintaining the thoroughfare until it is adopted by the Highways Authority.

What usually happens is that the Highways Authority adopts the land to a depth of "two spits" ( I think a spit is one spadeful).

I have owned two properties in South Wales where most of the above was spelled out on the original deeds (dated early 1800s). My understanding, see above, has been spelled out on the GARDEN LAW forum. Last time I looked, that forum was for sale. Doh! It was a daily dose of educational entertainment. ("Cat poo throwing" was a popular subject for discussion) There were also discussions about low flying drones and sun bathing wives.

I'll get my coat.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.