S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEEL SIZE v BRAKE DRUM SIZE v DRAG ARM SIZE  (Read 1047 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
WHEEL SIZE v BRAKE DRUM SIZE v DRAG ARM SIZE
« on: May 09, 2020, 06:29:14 AM »

Hi,

I don't currently have a Land Rover to look at, and the coachbuilders drawing, etc, tends towards "some detail omitted for clarity".

My current thoughts are centered on what is the smallest practical wheel size for tarmac only use? I doubt that a 10" Mini rim will fit over a 10" brake drum, but that's being silly. 12" wheels would also be silly. 13"?Probably usable. ??? But I wouldn't want to go over 14". (Thoughts of splines and spinners, and MGB wire wheels. Perhaps not impossible/difficult, but expensive).

I am assuming that Weller are able to supply their "steel slots" drilled to the customers required PCD, and off-set? I think they already do Land Rover friendly steel slots, but I doubt if they go as small as I want, "off the shelf".

I'd be grateful if somebody/anybody would eye-ball their Landy, and let me have their opinion (or photo) on whether  smaller wheels would run clear of both track arms ... using a wheel spacer or extra off-setwheels , if necessary.

PS. Barbara's "buggy" should be arriving today ... fingers crossed. My saws arrived yesterday, so I can start decimating the front hedge. I also found my "branch loppers" in the garage.

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
Re: WHEEL SIZE v BRAKE DRUM SIZE v DRAG ARM SIZE
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 02:14:32 PM »

Could you do this:
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: WHEEL SIZE v BRAKE DRUM SIZE v DRAG ARM SIZE
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 05:38:08 PM »

Hi Martin,

That Land Rover just looks "wrong". Now ... maybe if it had S3 sills?  :thud

At one time, I (briefly) considered fitting an S1 body onto a Citroen 2CV chassis. I had both the body and the chassis. But I saw sense ...

2CV chassis have been know to "sag", if a hefty bloke puts all his weight on the sill. "Home brewing" a look-a-like S1 bulkhead is no big deal, I've made three. I felt that the weight of such a bulkhead on a rusty 2CV chassis would be pushing my luck. I believe that a much stronger replica chassis is now available for the 2CV ... but they've missed their chance.

Hmmm ... if I could find a suitable black and white drawing of an S2, maybe I could paste a couple of MGB 14" wire wheels onto it, with the wheels the correct distance below the chassis.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 17 queries.