S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "HAND CRANKING" 602's project across the garden.  (Read 2627 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: "HAND CRANKING" 602's project across the garden.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 10:41:23 PM »

Hi,

I'm touched by everybody's concern. Thank you!

I anticipate the Landy will be delivered on a trailer (after "lock-down " is lifted) and that the driver will be able to reverse straight in, drop the Landy, and drive straight out.

The hand cranking will be to get the car from where it is delivered, and into my garage (after removing the roof ... limited headroom under the up'n over door), and I can do that myself, at leisure.

I have experienced hand cranking an 86", minus it's spark plugs, up a VERY steep drive. (1:4 at a guesstimate)  Memory says the greatest effort was expended in pumping my torso up and down. My greatest worries were keeping the steering straight, and Barbara keeping a brick close up behind the rear tyre, in case I lost my grip on crank handle.   Actually moving the truck was effortless. The crew in "ICE COLD" were also fighting soft sand, which would normally mean keeping your foot flat on the loud-pedal at all times.  (Been there, done that, you've seen the pictures).  I was once in a TOS convoy, driving a Bedford RL, my wheels in the ruts of the trucks in front. The TOS truck in front stopped, so I spun my steering to go round him. My truck carried on in a straight line, despite the front wheels struggling to get out of the soft ruts. I didn't dare lift off the gas pedal, else I'd be stuck too. I was worryingly close to hitting him, before my front wheels suddenly popped out of the ruts.

The TOS had their own rescue truck "sweeping" along in the rear ... as I found out when my mate poured a full jerry can of water into the petrol tank, on the return journey, and the convoy's tail lights disappeared into the distance ... about 50 miles inland from Dubai. Not a difficult problem ... if you know how!  If you don't already know, find out. One day it might be you. Also find out how to (almost) coast on soft sand. I found out at the first tea break ... big drum of water brought to the boil on a pile of burning camel cabbage.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.