S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The term “in stock”  (Read 1137 times)

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
The term “in stock”
« on: August 02, 2022, 08:33:41 AM »

So many suppliers put “in stock” beside items on their websites. This is clearly not the case, by the time it takes to arrive, or the fact that it comes from other than the company you ordered it from.
I have come to expect this kind of second rate sales tactics from Ebay, but now they are all doing it. Really annoying if you need a part quickly.
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Ph0en1x_Uk

Re: The term “in stock”
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 08:37:04 AM »

I agree with your comments and frustrations.

All I can say is that all of the products on my website are marked as in stock because they actually are.

I don't believe in selling something and not being able to supply it at the point of sale.

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7589
  • .:
  • Series 2a 1966 station Wagon
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 09:10:33 AM »

I recently ordered an item that was in stock. Then was told it had had a price rise from there supplier and they wanted £40.00 more for the item.
Apparantly that's OK as they have a tiny disclamer on there Web site.

Paul

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:53:51 AM »

I ordered a FP key yesterday, which was showing in stock. A hour later got a email saying they no longer stock FP blanks and I should get a refund in 10 days. Thats my rant for today. Hopefully

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 12:37:50 PM »

I recently placed an order with one of the 'big two' suppliers... reluctantly I must say, as they were the only place showing stock of the item I needed in a genuine LR part. Sure enough, a couple of days later came the email to say it wasn't in stock. I told them I wasn't surprised this was the case, indeed I expected it, but no apology really made and probably still showing as in stock on their website. It wouldn't be as annoying if it didn't say anything at all with regards to the stock level.

George P

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6803
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 12:40:33 PM »

I ordered 2 rear bench seats from Exmoor who happily took my money and then proceeded to send me an email a couple of days later saying that I'd have to wait 10 weeks for them due to 'supplier issues'... :stars

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 06:51:41 PM »

It really is not good enough, selling under false pretences, approaching fraud. Any decent sales software should be able to update the stock figure for an item as soon as one is sold. I had this conversation with one of the 'addocks several years ago and was told a new system was about to be installed. I suspect we are still waiting ?

...In that particular instance I had ordered two of the upper seatbelt brackets for a hard top. They arrived weeks apart and in completely different finishes. I had ordered on the basis that it showed "in stock". Had I known it wasn't. I'd have ordered elsewhere - hence my comment about false pretences.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 08:32:53 PM »

I recently placed an order with one of the 'big two' suppliers... reluctantly I must say, as they were the only place showing stock of the item I needed in a genuine LR part. Sure enough, a couple of days later came the email to say it wasn't in stock. I told them I wasn't surprised this was the case, indeed I expected it, but no apology really made and probably still showing as in stock on their website. It wouldn't be as annoying if it didn't say anything at all with regards to the stock level.

To be fair, if asking one of the usual suppliers to order LR Genuine parts, most do not have a direct JLR parts account, but will purchase through a main dealer group. They will not know if an item is in stock with JLR at Desford until the dealer actually places the order. The alternative is to order direct from a main agent and request they do a stock enquiry.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 01:02:52 PM »

To be fair, if asking one of the usual suppliers to order LR Genuine parts, most do not have a direct JLR parts account, but will purchase through a main dealer group. They will not know if an item is in stock with JLR at Desford until the dealer actually places the order. The alternative is to order direct from a main agent and request they do a stock enquiry.

To be fair, it clearly said 'in stock' next to the part on their website so one would assume they indeed had it in stock, and that it was not a special order item. I also wouldn't find it unusual for genuine LR old stock to be held by private individuals or parts suppliers. I know I have new old stock stuff sat around, so it is quite possible that it is indeed 'in stock' and not special/back order.

Jimbo

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 236
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 02:41:29 PM »

To me, in stock means they physically have it to send out to me, not that they have to try and order it elsewhere.
I just want some honesty to enable me to make a purchase decision.
If they said they had to order it from elsewhere then at least they wouldn’t be lying but to say they had it in stock is just a blatant lie.

Plenty of online shops seem to be able to manage it, why not Land Rover parts suppliers?

Unfortunately I will never ever shop with one of the main suppliers again, even if they have the last original steering relay in the world.

James

Member: 236
1959 Series 2 88” 2.25 Petrol
2016 Discovery 4 SDV6
2017 Suzuki Jimny

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »

Do JLR hold that much stock of Series 2 parts ?  I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do ?  Its certainly a long time since I last walked into a Main Dealer for a Series part.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 07:48:51 PM »

For Series 3 parts I find the part number in the parts book then ring the main dealer in Salisbury to see if it's on their list, then order it if it is.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 07:50:33 PM »

Paddocks does have a 'special order' label instead of 'in stock' on quite a few parts that I've ordered in the last few months. It only delays the order by a day or two but it's good transparency
1963 SWB 2.25L petrol

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 07:56:07 PM »

There's something very satisfying in parking a Series Land Rover on a main dealers forecourt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 17 queries.