S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do with your Series 2 in December ...  (Read 9106 times)

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
What did you do with your Series 2 in December ...
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2021, 09:51:25 PM »

... Got the old type driving member with the oil filler screw. I read this can be "converted" to grease by just erm...packing the bearings with grease? Is this right?

Yes.

Regards.

RATA1

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7501
  • .:
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2021, 10:33:36 PM »

Good because I can't get them undone :(
1961 S2
2014 Discovery XXV

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »

Yes, just apply plenty of HMP grease to the wheel bearings.
You can just forget the oil filler screws are there. Worth freeing them off though and that the screw head(s) is not mullarded.

As you are refurbing the axle - why not ditch the OE axle breathers and fit remote breathers as sold by Robin on here  :first
Less chance of the axle getting pressurised and blowing oil/grease through the hub seal.

:RHD

Who's a then ?

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2021, 04:13:19 PM »

Shunting about last night in freezing fog :snowflake to make way for a festive bonfire gathering  :xtree , my drivers-side wiper became seized.

Popped it off this morning, which took about 20 minutes (fortunately no bolts solid), by which time my fingers were frozen.
Sat inside with it on a tray and cleaned the whole thing out, re-oiled the motor bearings with light machine oil, and regreased the rest. I thought I'd try superfluid grease to see if it will avoid clogging into the normal solid lumps. This helped a lot, at least for now. But what also helped was to carefully clean off the commutator with "Track Magic"  :bright-idea (and a foam swab) which is some kind of Naptha-based cleaning fluid used on model railways. The motor speed went up 20% (or more) as soon as I did that. Now spinning nicely on the table, with just a small 800mA 12V supply to drive it. Hopefully it will be sound running from the battery and under full load.

I'll refit it when its a bit warmer, and light again. In the newyear, I'll also be needing to order the nice wiper body gaskets from the club shop, as mine are clearly on their last legs.
Andrew

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2021, 04:29:57 PM »

A lovely drive to work in the early hours in a right pea souper. I could see about the distance of two cats eyes. Wasnt a lot better when coming home.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2021, 04:46:28 PM »

Finally got to do my test run of over 200 yards. I did a circular run round the local area , not far but enough to get things warm and see if the gearbox would jam up again. ! Good news …. All went well going up all gears into 4th and back down with no problem , including overdrive. YIPPEE it finally works with no jamming up , proving I was right about the tolerances in the gearbox .  :-* :dancing_santas

Andy

David A

• Old Brummie
  • S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5546
  • .:
  • 1958 Series2 swb , 2003 110 utility td5
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2021, 11:28:49 AM »

Finally replaced the 63 year old "tired starter motor" with a lot of help from my very helpful "old school" mechanic . First time I have actually heard the engine turn over properly ie. spin! Old starter now off to another "old school " engineer to be refurbished . Next job is to put the newly refurbished carburettor back on the engine.
David A

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2021, 12:09:09 PM »

Nothing, because.........

I went to the racking beside the SII where I keep its four spare wheels.  I was going to take them to my local tyre place for removal of the totally time expired tyres (fitted circa 1978) but I found a hedgehog hibernating beside them.  As I did not want to disturb its torpor I left it and the wheels alone.

Came away feeling very happy that my garden is wildlife friendly.   :dancing_santas           Will try again in the spring.

David

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2021, 12:13:27 PM »

Well yesterday I took the land rover to my local friendly garage to have the headlights adjusted as my old favourite method of chalk on the gates didnt seem to be doing the trick.  It turns out that i wasnt far out but one of the headlamp glasses has a flaw in it and it distorts things a little.

I think that a pair of new headlamps is on the cards after Christmas.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2021, 12:27:25 PM »

Nothing, because.........

I went to the racking beside the SII where I keep its four spare wheels.  I was going to take them to my local tyre place for removal of the totally time expired tyres (fitted circa 1978) but I found a hedgehog hibernating beside them.  As I did not want to disturb its torpor I left it and the wheels alone.

Came away feeling very happy that my garden is wildlife friendly.   :dancing_santas           Will try again in the spring.

David
Cute
I would have done the same..

For me..
Install the differential housing bolts, and paint the suspension stops.
Little progress every day

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2021, 04:06:36 PM »

Went for a spin to deliver some ex-beer yeast (for bread making), and pick up a refurbished (revived from dead) Husqvarna chainsaw from the same chap - an interesting swap!
Arriving at home I discovered my silencer had blown a big hole in its top.
Fortunately I had a stainless one sitting ready in the cellar, part of a 3-part set that I'd only used the mid section of, so far.
So, no ordering required ;) Even the old bolts came off OK so the new part was on in about 30 minutes. Result!

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2021, 04:50:37 PM »

30 minutes for a Land Rover job?? Incredible!!!!
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2021, 05:05:04 PM »

Yet more cow-feeding. The little darlings had managed to completely trample the towing strop on my "bale sledge" - an old gate with a ring-feeder tied on top - into the mud, to the point it was invisible. A bit of rooting about found it so I was able to pull the sledge back out to "reload"....except the rope retaining the ring-feeder had snapped, leaving that in the mud, so a return trip for that and a very mucky rebuild operation once I got it all out onto the hard and relatively clean ground outside the field.  On the upside, putting the bale into the ring feeder has significantly reduced waste, they eat all the hay rather than trample it about.

Yes, I know, a tractor with a "loader" would be the right answer - but the 2WD Ford 4600 I used to have got stuck pretty much any time I tried using it in that field in winter. An old lake bed and prone to flooding, very wet a lot of the time.   
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2021, 06:27:55 PM »

Managed to rebuild most of the original Sparto lights from my Station Wagon. Another job done and ready should this vehicle ever turn a wheel.

I then dug out my Trico washer pump and bottle only to find the pump wouldn't work. Some careful tweaking of the impellor and it burst back into life. There must be a bad contact on the motor because it runs fine, but if it stops in one particular position, it won't run again unless I tweak it round a bit. Has anybody ever had one of these motors apart and tried to clean it up?
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »

^^^^ No but I have one that also stopped. Not been brave enough to crack it open....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.