S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restore or not  (Read 1257 times)

Dave11a

• Chassis welder
Restore or not
« on: August 08, 2020, 10:05:53 AM »

Hi all

I have not posted much and am a bit out of touch with prices etc. About 10 years ago I brought a 1964 88 with a view to using it for spares, as it needs a new chassis and a previous owner has taken the original registration, reissued on a "B" suffix. I need a petrol engine now and had a good look under the tarpaulin for the first time in ages. Numbers on the engine and other mechanicals suggest they are original, and all other parts are present and correct, apart from the registration it is 100% original. Seems a shame to break it and I wonder if members have any views? Could be rebuilt, shame about the plate, but would be a nice vehicle. However that would leave me looking for a good 2.25 petrol engine 151 or 152 for my 109 perhaps via "wanted" on the forum. That to replace a S3 diesel engine and put 109 back to original spec, so need ancillaries etc as well.
Dave

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Re: Restore or not
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 03:00:07 PM »

Do it.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »

Not for me to tell you what to do, but I would have great difficulty breaking a complete vehicle. Having said that, I do realise that used spares have to come from somewhere...

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 06:37:09 PM »

You could ask Steve Baldwin on Facebook or sometimes eBay what engines he has. From what I've heard people are getting good deals from him and he's possibly the most likely to be selling exactly what you need.
1963 SWB 2.25L petrol

Dave11a

• Chassis welder
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »

Thanks, yes it would be a nice one to restore despite the changed plate. A Richards chassis and a wiring loom, I probably have most other parts required. I'll follow up the lead re an engine for the 109 thanks, I had been thinking they seem thin on the ground now and should have picked one up a few years back.

I brought the 1964 very cheaply, someone had obtained a hooky MOT to get the plate off although the chassis was ripe as a pear.

Dave

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 11:47:59 AM »

Hi,

How many owners have started a "full restoration", only to lose heart, and now have a partly dismembered  vehicle occupying valuable "junk" space (aka - garage).

I helped my mate push his 1946 MG TC under cover, in June 1972. He got round to painting the chassis about 5 years ago ... but nothing since. It's standing on tressles.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.