S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CANNON PIXMA MG2550S problem.  (Read 522 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
CANNON PIXMA MG2550S problem.
« on: April 02, 2023, 10:34:25 AM »

Hi,

I don't know if I've already asked this question, but if I did, I can't find any trace.

I 've had a printer (detailed in heading, above) for several months, with no recollection of having had to replace the ink cartridges, although there is something in the "shadows of my mind" about the ink running low.  ???

And then it stopped printing, so I assumed I was out of ink (but it might have coincided with my builder changing the furniture layout in my study) Whatever, I replaced the ink cartridges, but it made no difference.

I called in my local Guru (retired telephone engineer), but he couldn't make it work either.

I cannot remember if the printer went through the motion, but ejected blank sheets of paper.

Barbara authorised the purchase of a replacement printer, same make and model, which I set up myself. Same problem .... printer chunters away, but also presents me with a blank sheet.

When I press PRINT, the screen displays a small image of the document that I want to print, but it doesn't happen.

Back to my memories ... there is something at the back of my grey cells about somebody recently mentioning an impressively named cable being required, with more thoughts suggesting that I went through all this with the first printer. I can't remember the name of the cable ... probably four or five ALPHA characters in upper case. I've searched all my study drawers, but without any luck.

When I could remember the name, I asked Barbara to order me a new cable, but when she told me it would cost about £40, I told her to HOLD. She is still able to remember the model number of the printer, but not the identity of the required cable.

The pictorial instructions for setting up the printer make no mention of such a cable.

Pretty please, can anybody offer any advice?

PS. Trading Standards?

PPS. I have only tried printing what is on my lap-top's screen .... not copying and printing a document. I have several buttons, but no instructions for either copying a page, nor how to print from the lap-top.

Alice B

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3144
  • .:
Re: CANNON PIXMA MG2550S problem.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 04:32:15 PM »

Hi
Had a quick look online, the printer is connected to your computer with a standard USB cable.  Sounds like the ink has run out or has dried out.  This is quite common if the printer isn't used an awful lot.

Here is a link to the Canon website with lots of info regarding the printer

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg2550.html?type=manuals&language=

Alice

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 06:11:03 PM »

Hi Alice,

Just returned from tiffin (Google! Thanks for comments and link ... I have not yet hit the link, I need to take several big breaths before going there.

I won't disagree about ink cartridges drying out. The printer has been idle for some weeks, as I believed the existing (original) cartridges were empty. Following a "marital-financial" discussion, I replaced those original cartridges with (???) some  economy versions, but the printer only chuntered away without printing.

As that wrong-footed Barbara, she bought me a brand new printer from Amazon. I set it up as instructed, including installing the ink cartridges provided. The printer chuntered away, without printing.

Memory, from when I tried to set up the first printer, tells me that I had to install an ETHER (?) cable .... which was not supplied. That printer then worked.  ???  I'm now wondering if a visiting "Clefti-Wallah" half-inched my original ETHER cable, causing my original printer to cease printing. But we have absolute trust in our cleaners, our Carers, and our builders.

So, more "marital" discussions. Barbara checked her records, saw that the previous ETHER cable cost £10. Shock horror when she found that the cable now costs £40. We are now at the "marital beating" stage. (Marquis of Queensbury Rulers) Both her Civil Service Pension, and HMG's ATTENDANCE ALLOWANCE (Google) are bigger than mine***, so I'm on a "hiding to nothing". I can't argue, she kept me in Land Rover projects, horse breeding, goats, pigs, poultry, self-building a 2500sq.ft "edifice" in our half acre garden, 7.5 acres of freehold "rough grazing" further up the road, etc, since I retired in 1987.

Whatever, if anybody here can suggest what I might be doing wrong, I'd be very happy to listen to them. Pretty please!

*** Barbara gets full Attendance Allowance, I only get the day-time Attendance Allowance. Still worth more than £40 a week, but ..... :o

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7589
  • .:
  • Series 2a 1966 station Wagon
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 07:03:22 PM »

John if you need an ethernet cable, I will post one to you FOC.
Tell me the length and it will be done.

Paul

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 07:51:49 PM »

Hi Paul,

Thankyou for that offer. I will take you up on it .... but first I have to return to bed to keep Barbara company. (Most of my time is spent in bed).

I will PM you later this evening.

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7589
  • .:
  • Series 2a 1966 station Wagon
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 08:07:54 PM »

John I await your PM.

Paul

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 02:58:50 PM »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your offer, and everybody else's comments, but it all seems to be all over, bar the shouting ... or, the fat lady, referred to in Police Review magazine, has sung.

Barbara (without being asked) went through the motions again .... and found the ETHER cable, specific to my printer, listed at under £5  ???  My first impression was that it's an impressive bit of kit ... I'll try to post a picture of it tomorrow.

I have no idea where the terminals plug in, but no doubt all will become clear when I try.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 20 queries.