S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 602's new toy ...  (Read 6417 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
602's new toy ...
« on: March 08, 2020, 06:56:24 AM »

Hi,

Somebody mentioned "MOT exemption" in a recent mail. I can't find my way back to it ... probably too early in the morning for my little brain.

Whatever, I done a Google, and found this ...

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/features/mot-exemption-changes-2018-13-things-you-need-know

How come I didn't know about that? Who else, here, has a "donated" engine that will run foul of these regs?

My plans involved "dropping the seat height by fitting smaller wheels and tyres", and fitting a smaller "other brand" engine to match the increased TPM ... MGB/Marina 1.8, Cortina 1600, and Triumph Spitfire variants come to mind. It may be that a Marina 1300 A-plus may be powerful enough for my limited usage ... mainly city tarmac. Barbara's Hyundai, registered in mid-2018, has only just clocked over 2000 miles, and I haven't owned a car for several months. Fuel consumption is almost irrelevant, but fixed overheads are a different matter ( a neighbour is paying £600 per year VED for his RAV).

If a small hatchback engine can pull itself  plus half a ton of caravan, at highway speeds, then surely it can pull the same overall weight in the form of an S2 ... subject to gearing and wind resistance.

Smaller wheels will affect the overall gearing, but a little engine should rev higher. It should also be geared to hang onto top gear for longer.

I'd also like softer springs ... if I can obtain parabolics that do not raise the ride height. ???

VED is a pain, but we can live with it.

MOT does not frighten me, but I'd like the freedom to carry out cul-de-sac "Sea Trials" before presenting it.  My MG, into which I fitted a Vauxhall engine, went straight from my workshop to the new fangled MOT (in 1961?), and passed. But things were different then.

I am aware that an S1 with an MGB engine was campaigning in the mud, in the early 1960, but I don't know if "It has been done"  affects the criteria for more recent abortions projects. ??? Steve Parker WAS making conversion kits for V6 Fords ... and it is said that any Ford engine will fit any Ford gearbox, so presumably fit adaptor plates too.  Having destroyed the V6 engine in my Transit LWB pick-up, I fitted a Cortina engine ... it just dropped in.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
602's new toy ...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 08:06:22 AM »

Out of interest, why do you want to use a "foriegn" engine ?  Wouldn't it be way easier to just use a Land Rover engine and avoid all the hassle both official and that created by the extra engineering ?

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
Re: 602's new toy ...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 09:44:57 AM »

There were, literally, hundreds of posts on here about the MoT changes. More, even, than there were about Jimny keys.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Bradfordseries2

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1047
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 10:20:06 AM »

I'd be more concerned about trying to get a 60 year old vehicle through a modern IVA/SVA test than the intricacies of fitting (let alone sourcing) a long obsolete engine to a gearbox that will probably sap all the power from it.  :stars  :stars  :stars
Member 1047

1960 88" petrol hard top - undergoing restoration
1969 88" diesel Station Wagon- restoration required
1971 88" petrol hard top - retirement project!

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »

Definitely, I'd honestly think John would be best to just fix up the new Land Rover, as essentially a normal Land Rover.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 10:49:57 AM »

Wouldn't it be way easier to just use a Land Rover engine and avoid all the hassle both official and that created by the extra engineering ?

Hi Peter,

If I had to justify changing what engine I fit ... the quick answer is to say that "I want to!". If you want me to justify that desire, I reckon I can make a good case. Can you make a good case for needing to drive ANY Series Land Rover ... except for giving the same answer as I gave above?

However, maybe there is a loop-hole. The "precis" of the legislation, given in my original link, says some about alternative engines being acceptable if "new" engines are not available. I see nothing THERE about factory alternatives being available. So, what are the chances of Land Rover being able to supply me with a "new" 1959 (two main bearings?) engine from stock?  And if they can, where can I buy 2 star petrol?

Would Rover be able to supply a "Gold Seal" engine (which I understand are built by the factory from assorted re-conditioned part, perhaps with some new parts if necessary. So,m still not a NEW engine. I'm happy to be corrected.)

Now! What about all you poor ******s who have fitted V8, V6s, and diesels.

I think a lot of my future plans will NOW depend on the exact wording of the Legislation. Has it gone through all the procedures yet, and if it has, what title do I ask for when I send my cheque to HM Stationary Office. (I wish Barbara was still the DVLA Information Officer - aka Press Officer).

I already have the T&C Planning Acts, and an antediluvian edition of Building Regs.

I don't remember what happened to my copy of the Animal Movements Legislation.  (Pigs and Horses are not allowed to travel together ... unless they have been life-long friends. And even a Shetland pony needs 7 feet headroom).

Hey! Even if I do need to go the MOT and VED route, I'd be no worse off than if I bought any other old jalopy.

Hi BradS2,

What's difficuilt about buying an MGB engine (same engine as Marina 1.8) ... apart from paying for it?

Hi Everybody else,

You are all probably right ... but that has seldom influenced me before. The hard way is often more fun.

Simon K.

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2721
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 11:00:25 AM »

If you really want to change the engine, then I would throw in a Rover P6 2000/2200 4-pot with 3 speed autobox combination.

Better suited to the weight of a Land Rover than a 1.8 mgb one.

Simon.

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 11:00:45 AM »

I love doing the 'what about if we did this' thinking and planning. For me, with very little skill, but a possible hope that I can keep someone's design going i would be thinking:

Takes leaves out of the suspension to desired softness and height
Take off front prop and remove front diff (blanking plate) aka RAF
Convert to soft top or truck cab to save weight
Design a step that would deploy for easier access
Smallest narrowest tyres 6.00 x16

Any other weight saving is the key but keep to original design

Aluminium radiator etc

.....just my idle thoughts while I drink a coffee

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »

Aluminium fuel tank

Aluminium front light panel

Lose heavy air filter

Smallest battery you can get away with

Aluminium battery box

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 11:42:58 AM »

Certainly John, if you just fancy doing it, ..go for it !  ;)

Bradfordseries2

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1047
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 12:05:41 PM »

Hi BradS2,

What's difficuilt about buying an MGB engine (same engine as Marina 1.8) ... apart from paying for it?

Just having a quick look on eBay at MGb engines, they seem to be a similar price to a similar condition 2.25. Of course an unknown condition engine would need stripping to assess the condition. You would need one with all the ancillaries attached, most seem to be stripped to a bare engine.

I'm very much in the 'why not fit a standard engine' camp. Sometimes just because you can, doesn't mean you should!  :-X

Mark547

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6974
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »

How about the O series engines? Like the 2.0ltr Montego engine? Would this fit up to a series box with a prima conversion plate? Nice simple engine with lots of low down torque.  ???

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 01:20:22 PM »

This is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Anything is possible.

Quite how much is actually achievable by a man in his eighties, who can’t find his car keys, is another thing altogether.

If you couldn’t coordinate getting someone else to carry out the necessary repairs to the Jimny (and you had enough trouble getting a key cut, remember), then I simply can’t see how you will physically manage this latest scheme.

Regardless of how much you achieve in a lifetime of creativity and hard work, at some point you have to pass the baton to the next generation. I genuinely think you should stop this madness before you hurt yourself.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 01:58:36 PM »

I see the sense in what Glen says, BUT..if John really fancies another Land Rover project then why not ( I suspect he may regret selling his previous LR, and we've all done that! )..in reality he might not get round to finishing it.. I've got stuff I'll probably never complete and I'm 20 years his junior !
Having a purpose is a great thing and not to be underestimated.. ;)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »

Hi,

I just signed on, intending to comment on knowing who your friends are ... and seem to have rejoined into a different forum. Probably all in the mind.

I sold the Aunt because Barbara could no longer climb into it. (She is talking about abandoning all hopes of having her knees replaced. The private hospital said they could not measure her BMI, as she is unable to stand without leaning on her sticks. (BMI is a product of weight and height). It took me two minutes on Google to find out how to do it.  There's more, but I won't go into it here).

The object of my desires is a 4x2, so virtually restricted to road use. The plan is to run it on the smallest wheels possible, 13". If I can get them over the brake drums. An easily reversible modification. I haven't yet looked into the turns per mile, but that will only take a couple of minutes.

Before you snigger ... a Jimny is bigger than a LR 80"  ...  length, breadth, and height ... and looks right on 14" wheels. The new fangled (in 1959) BMC Mini was a joke ... until you knew what it could do.  I've read that dropping the C of G  by 10% will get you round corners 10% faster.

Yes, an auto-box would be very desirable. Ask Wittsend where the hand-brake is on a Land Rover.  :whistle. Will 13" wheels fit over 11" drums (see my earlier thread about hand-brake expanders in the axle on my 1959 109") Probably not impossible to "fit" P5  rear brakes onto a Series axle, but the wheel cylinders are about 16mm,  (should give a nice firm pedal) ... but if I'm also running on smaller wheels ...   Principle of Levers. Somewhere, many Yonks ago, I read about a firm making rear-disc conversions for drum-braked Mundanemobiles. I never saw/heard another mention. My Daimler V8 had disc hand brakes ... I pondered on relining the parking-brake pads with Phillips "Stick-a-soles" Ask your Grandad! Should be OK ... provided you didn't use the hand brake for stopping ... and let the disc cool down before applying the parking brake. I'll get my coat.

Fitting smaller wheels/tyres should give better braking, and I guess will feel like driving round in third gear all the time. The trouble with acceleration is that if you've got it ... you use it. Barbara is muttering about fuel consumption on her Ix20.  Should I tell her that I usually wind it up to an indicated 7,000RPM, before changing into second gear. :whistle.  I'd like to put the 0-60 time on a stop watch. It feels silly.
Strangely, my stopping is usually very gentle, I can't remember the last time the nose dipped.

Mouthwash alert! Dacia make a huge (they say) estate-cum-people-carrier (Google Dacia Logan). It has only  a 1300cc engine, but seems to get good reviews. Circa £8,000/£9,000. I suggest it's all in the gearing.

PS I've just remembered that autos have a "P" facility. Who needs a hand-brake? But a tandem master cylinder may be desirable..
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 16 queries.