S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Downloading my camera to lap-top. Advice needed.  (Read 4930 times)

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
Re: Downloading my camera to lap-top. Advice needed.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 09:27:22 AM »

It's possible your computer won't like the memory card from the camera, for 100 arcane reasons.  I have a Canon digital camera and it's like that.  So I use the "CAMedia" software and plug the cable directly from the camera to the PC and voila, all the pictures are available to drag-n-drop off the camera onto my PC.

Perhaps the same is true of your FujiFilm HD Movie camera?  Here is a link to the FujiFilm software, you might try installing it on your PC then plug the camera straight into the PC and see if the software can "see" the photos on the Fuji?

https://fujifilm-myfinepix-studio.en.lo4d.com/windows

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »

It's been a long time - still no pictures on here ???

Your camera is quite old and obsolete, if you can't transfer images from it, put it up for sale on Gumtree,, consider a new camera.

There is John Lewis store in Milton Keynes and also a Jessops Photo store.
Either of these will be happy to demonstrate (reasonably) priced cameras and even show you how to down load images from them.
Take your laptop to the shop....

They will sort you out in no time.

Looking forward to seeing your garden and drive work on here.

:photo
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 08:31:02 PM »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your interest. No, I still haven't downloaded any pics ... they are still sitting in the camera

No, I don't have a mobile phone I suffer from Fat Finger, and pig-ignorance.  Most of what I've been told so far means nothing to me, but thanks for trying.

Barbara's phone takes photos, which she can send to me, and I can access/save. But she still hasn't ventured out of the house since she was unable to lift her foot over the three-inch threshold, the down the same three inches plus another four inches, plus another four inches, on the day before lock-down started. I'll have to get her to "grid her lions", and give it a go (she is now 78). If we can manage that, the next move will be the drivers seat of her car.

New camera? Our builder has just told us his bill will be the wrong side of £8,000 ... and today I ordered a six-yard skip ... but not a grab-lorry. (My dinner is in Wilkie). It looks like I'm committed to loading a ton a day, for the next week.  I can scarcely walk, but I can still dig. Go figure!

My daughter will be visiting on Saturday afternoon. I'll try to get her to takes some pics, and send them to me. I will copy them to here. That I can manage ... I think.

Hmmm! This PC is on W10. My other lap-top is still on W7. I suppose it's worth a try. ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 06:09:26 AM »

Hi,

Just to bring a sub-plot into the equation ...

I recently converted to Windows 10, and still have a hang over.

Recently, I've been trying to accumulate data specific to S2s, and lay it out in an easily readable tabular fashion, for the benefit of my myself, and hopefully others.

Problem ... Windows 10 has scrapped it's own Windows Publisher (which I understood), and replaced it with Libra Office 7.1 (which I do not find to be intuitive for this little mind. I'm struggling to draw a line, and when I do, I need my calculator to position it.  :stars ) So I done a Google, to see if I could afford a CAD CD thingy. Probably! Does any body have an unwanted CAD3 ?

Next problem ... where do I insert  the CD into my lap-top? I can't find anywhere obvious.  ???

So I looked at my older, spare, CD. Not only did I find the slot, I also managed to eject the disc already in residence, which identified itself as relating to a CANNON PIXMA MG2500. My printer is a CANNON PIXMA MG2550S, which I suppose is close enough. (if it works, don't mend it.)

602 (Unfitted for the modern world)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 10:07:11 AM »

I was going to ask for a picture of your laptop  :stars

Name, make, model, might help us best advise you.

These days - new laptops tend NOT to have a CD reader - the world has moved on from CDs.

Coincidently, last week I bought an external CD reader off eBay for £18 - it plugs into a USB port  :first
(I have various Windows installation discs that I want or may need for my number 1 laptop.)

It's not good practice to leave CDs in the drive when you have done with them.

I'm not sure why you need a CAD drawing package to produce a simple table of Land Rover parts.

A spreadsheet program is much better suited for this task.
Microsoft Excel is the tool of choice  :first

However, if you don't want to pay for Excel (and Word) you can download "Open Office".
Free to download and use.
We have mentioned this in the past.

Any new device brings changes to how you do things.

Don't keep running yourself down, familiarity come with a little practice. Initially there is a bit of a learning curve (but there are now some very good tutorials on Youtube that walk you through every aspect of using a computer and software packages) but with practice you'll soon get the hang of it.

We've been talking about you getting pictures from your camera to the laptop for a long time now.

You need to get the correct cable, plug the camera in and try it.....

:RHD

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 11:05:10 AM »

I've attached 2 simple Excel spreadsheet tables as examples.

You can easily manipulate the size of the cells/boxes to contain your text.
You can control the type/style of the cell borders, etc.

Click on the paperclips to see the tables.
One is in Excel format which your laptop should be able to open.

The other is an Excel table turned into an image (very easy to do).

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2021, 08:45:16 AM »

Everything Alan said is good advice.  The "LibreOffice" you mentioned is a group of software programs that try to mimic everything the Microsoft Office stuff does, except it's free.  If you want to do Windows Publisher type stuff, look at the piece of LibreOffice called "Impress".  If you want to make tables and spreadsheets like Alan shows, use LibreOffice "Calc".

I'm having a thought here.  You have home wifi and you want to do photos.  You have a laptop on the wifi already and Barbara is on the same wifi.  So everything in your house can "talk" to everything else on wifi.

Would you be opposed to me sending you an older unneeded iPhone?  It doesn't need "registering" or anything else, just turn it on and take pictures.  Connect it to your home wifi the same as everything else is.

Then when you're ready to move photos, go here and download the program for your Windows10 laptop:

https://phototransferapp.com/

I will have the same program pre-installed on the iPhone for you.  Then turn on the program on the laptop and on the iPhone, and they will "See" each other on the wifi without using any cables or card readers or anything.  It will show a list of photos on the iPhone ready to transfer, you just click the ones you want,  click "download" and it puts them on the laptop.

I use this all the time, and have not plugged my phone/camera into the computer for years.  It's very very simple and it makes it possible to post things like this... my new grandbaby.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 05:15:43 PM »

Hi Nanuq,

Sorry for delay in replying. My PC is all over the place. Or maybe it's me? I've never had a lesson in my life ... and I'm regarded as "unteachable."
(ask Wittsend).

Thankyou for your offer, and I'd be happy to accept ... subject to me covering the shipping (in cash, or maybe "kind"). Maybe Land Rover orientated magazines or books? Or books about how to set your own broken bones?  I assume that UK videos discs cannot be played on North American/Canadian video players.

I'm sure if we try hard enough, we can find a way around that problem.

HTH

602 (John)

PS, Would you, as an American, have been subject to "drafting" to Viet Nam? I spent the last two years in the British Air Force on an Australian Air Force Base, about 1000 miles from Viet Nam. Us Brits were not fighting in Viet Nam, but the Australians were. The new Australian Commanding Officer was due to fly in from Viet Nam. He never arrived ... believed shot down. I suspect our Bloodhound SAMs kept the enemy aircraft away

OT ... Barbara, my wife, recently asked why I had "all those medals". General Service Medal with Arabian Peninsular Clasp, and a Campaign Medal with the Malaysian Peninsular clasp ... both awarded for standing in the appropriate NAAFI  (PX?) queues. The Malaysian Prime Minister awarded us their PINGAT JASA medal ... and that's when the fighting really started. The UK Government did not want us to receive it, as it would have meant two medals for the same campaign. If it's free, I want it!  The UK Government eventually conceded.

Very OT. A British soldier turned up on parade, wearing a German IRON CROSS. All legit, it had been awarded to his grand father in WW1.

When I explained why I had "all those medals", Barbara screeched "YOU NEVER TOLD ME!"   No gratitude, that woman. I gave her two years living on Penang, and she still tells me I never take her anywhere.

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2021, 09:26:17 AM »

Hi John,  I'm really sorry I haven't got back to you, I haven't remembered to log in here in almost a month!  I'm charging up a nice little Android phone that takes pretty good pictures, let me see if I can get it smoothed out a little and working as hoped.  I'll let you know how it's coming along.

-Bob

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2021, 09:36:41 AM »

Look -

The best way forward is for 602 to take his laptop and camera to a local computer shop.
They will be able to provide the correct connecting cable and demonstrate how to download images.
If he needs a cable or he may even decide on a new camera - the shop will be able to sort him out.

A phone camera may well work, but 602 still has to work our how to "connect" with the computer.
And then what to do when the images are on the computer.
It's not a question of being "unteachable" it's a question of being shown what to do.

He needs to be taken through the process, step by step.
Write down the steps:
1)
2)
3)
4)

... and go through it a few times.
It then should/will become 2nd nature.

This impasse has been going on for months now and is something that can be sorted in 1/2 an hour  :thud 

:photo

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2021, 09:41:41 AM »

Very OT. A British soldier turned up on parade, wearing a German IRON CROSS. All legit, it had been awarded to his grand father in WW1.

I'm intrigued on that one. There are plenty of photos and images of people (normally children) proudly wearing family historic campaign medals at remembrance services which is fine and right in my view. Why would somebody be permitted to parade wearing somebody else's medals on military service? Irrespective of whether its German or British, these are surely honours awarded to somebody else? Are decendents permitted to wear such honours?
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 08:09:43 AM »

Hi Diffwhine,

Memory says I've already answered that, but just in case.

The British VC is (I think) made from the guns used during the Crimean War. It was the medal to be awarded to "all ranks", at Queen Victoria's insistence (Officers get crosses, other ranks get medal).  In theory, the VC should only be awarded in KIA situations. While I was out-East, an Ozzie sergeant was last seen attacking a Vietnam. machine-gun nest, armed only with only two empty beer bottles. He had the bad manners to walk out of the jungle when it was too late to cancel his VC.

Holders of the VC take precedence over Generals. Very often, newsreels of the Queen include a black army corporal in the background. Google Corporal Jones VC.

I understand that the entitlement to wear a  VC passes from father to son.

Medals awarded by other countries must be worn on the right breast ... as per my Pingat Jasa medal from the Malaysian Prime Minister. (There's posh!)

I suspect there was a bigger "fire fight" (British Vets v HMG), to persuade HMG to allow us to receive it, than any battle in the Far East. Nothing special, but it was mine ... and I wanted it.  (Now worth about £40 on Ebay). It can sit in my top drawer, along with my Uncle John's "Dead Man's Penny" (MIA France 1915), and my British Veterans lapel badge. Sad!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 09:30:15 AM »

.... still waiting to see some pictures  ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2021, 05:38:52 AM »

.... still waiting to see some pictures 

Hi Alan,

I can get my photos onto the lap-top screen, but I can't remember how to lock them into My Pictures.

I never used to have any problems loading them into my desk-top PC, but that was several years, and two or three lap tops ago.

I visit my daughter every week-day, so my grandson can walk Wilkie (my knees hurt). I'm sure my daughter could sort me out, but she's a bank manager working from home ... she makes me a cup of coffee, then back to work, while I read a book. Saturdays, she visits us, ditto the coffee, blitz through the housework, then I take her home. I doubt that she ever relaxes.

Barbara has been wheel-chair bound since the day before lock-down started ... one gammy arm, two gammy legs. She has been out of the house twice, during lock-down, and that was only to check the Social Services aluminium ramp, straight out, straight in, too steep. And the same again, after our builder raised the level of the drive outside the front door, very gentle slope, so getting in and out of the front door is virtually seamless.  As yet, she has not tried transferring from her invalid buggy to her car. She has never even seen our side garden, and has never been out of the back door. We have no doubts about her ability to drive ... IF she can get into her car. (She hit 120+ round Silverstone, in a Ferrari, for her 70th birthday ... one usable arm ... but she could still walk then). She only ever had one professional lesson, (with BSM). Disabled driving test in South East London, 1971, in a rusty £50 Mini that she drove for the first time the previous day. Married for 56 years ... and I still wake up screaming.

I will try to get her to the next pub meeting... a target to aim for.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2021, 07:39:00 AM »

Hi,

Well, I've managed to download my camera to my lap-top ... let's hope I can remember how I got there.

I did a trial download to this forum, but "No answer" was the stern reply.

I think it said the image was too big.  :thud

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.