S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How wide is a gate?  (Read 532 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
How wide is a gate?
« on: June 28, 2023, 04:23:51 PM »

Hi,

I don't think I've asked this already. ???

My "secret" garden is 40ft (12m) front to rear, a large 16ft (5m) wide at the front, and 8ft 
(2.5m) wide at the other end. The wide end gives access over my front garden and public footpath, to the street corner, which has a dropped kerb, presumably to benefit people in wheel chairs. I don't know  dropped kerb is strengthened.

My builder fenced the garden (feather edged boards on Arris rails) and made double gates to match. (I wish he hadn't). The gates are a smidgen over 6ft-6ins (2m) wide.

My question is ... how wide are trailer caravans. Same question for motor caravans (aka camper vans)? I would expect any boat on a trailer, this far inland, to be capable of navigating locks, on inland waters, which I think will be at least 6ft-10ins (2.1wide). I'm guessing double horse trailers have little more than a 5ft (1.5m) wide, box, but with wheel jutting out the sides. and then there both car recovery trailers, and car recovery trucks.

I've driven and towed most of the above. My 20ft boat, on a trailer, caused some consternation, navigating its way round the local council estate.

Answers "on a postcard" please.

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
Re: How wide is a gate?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 06:38:48 PM »

Length of a gate.
Width of a gateway.

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 09:24:37 PM »

Short answer,they vary.

Gates can be anything from just under 6ft to 8ft and sometimes you get doubles making 12-16 ft enterences.

You might find a 6ft caravan at a push (I have one but can’t part with it as that’s the width we need to get down the bridleway to home’) most are wider. Above 8ft is wide load and special vehicle territory so unlikely to find much over that.

Plenty oF trailer campers that match the width of a Land Rover. If you can get a pass out to as far as Stratford have a walk about adventure overland some point, you be amazed at what can be done with a trailer when money is no object

linesrg

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 02:29:52 AM »

Our HB610 horse box is 2.3mtrs wide overall.  It can be challenging to fuel the Defender at some stations with it hooked on the back......  We have 4.1mtr wide doors to the shed.....

Regards

Richard

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 06:14:44 AM »

Hi,

Thankyou, gentlemen, that is/are the sort of answer(s) I was looking for.

So it looks like "clearance" for an 8ft (2.4m) wide trailer, or camper van, should suffice. Not that I am likely to be involved in future involvement with such creatures. I'm looking to "future proof" our bungalow, for the benefit of our daughter and her sprogs, when we pop our clogs (Literally meaning your wife pawning your footwear before the pawn-broker learns that you have died, so will not be redeeming them.)

Some of you will remember photos of the "wilderness" between our bungalow and the road, while I was at the "skip stage". That job is now done and dusted ... 40ft of 2m high, feather edge fencing, on Arris rails, along the road, and similar across the 5m-ish front (in line with the front of the bungalow), covered in chippings, accessed over the dropped kerb (for wheel chair users) on the corner. I'll try to post some recent pictures.

Our builder is a lovely bloke, (Irish, with a degree), but difficult to force money into his hands. He is also difficult to argue with, over his ideas about what you want. He custom build the present gates out of feather-edge, too ... 2m wide.

Jackson Fencing no longer produce a paper catalogue, so it looks like I'm going to have to drag

When we had a boat we had the choice of paying for moorings on the Taunton canal, or paying for storing it in somebody's secure yard. Our insurers would only cover it, if stored behind a secure wall or fence. Memory says secure storage would cost about £10 per week, and probably more, now.

Going deeper OT now ....

Our bungalow has a pathetic bathroom ... 6ft x 5ft. The previous/original lady owner had the bath removed, and fitted an electric shower. Just about adequate. My plan are to turn the window into a door, and build a plastic conservatory thingy, across the side alley, between the house and garage, then cut access into the brick-built garage. The front end of the garage, about 8ft x 8ft, will become the new bathroom, with the garage doors being replaced with uPVC windows.

My mind is ticking away, wondering if Building Regs would allow me to build a uPVC conservatory INSIDE the garage ... quick, and minimum disruption, and would give a second "skin" to the single brick thick garage walls. The back end of the garage would remain as a man-cave, but also potentially a South facing sun-room, giving direct access to the rear garden, with access to the "facilities".

If anybody here watches DIY SOS on mid morning TV ... a very interesting program, they will have noticed frequent references to "kidney dialysis" (sp?) machines being installed in private houses, with brief mention of home treatment extending life expectancy (?). A quick Google suggests that these machines are not dramatically expensive, but need a dedicated space ... like the rear end of our garage. ???

Our Carers tell me that they have many "clients" who need dialysis.

My garage is about the same width, (2.4m) inside, as a "bay" in a car park, so not an ideal playroom, and anyway, my knees interfere with my with continuing enjoyment in getting my hand dirty. I am limited to cutting only two or three square yards of lawn per day ... I have asked my builder for a quote for covering it with bricks. Somebody of a similar age to myself may remember "Wickers World" on TV (mid 1960s). One program featured a village in USA, dedicated to "Wrinklies". It mentioned that many heart attacks occur during lawn mowing.

Discuss

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 07:40:58 AM »

If you are future proofing for your daughter you should get her input into your plans, she may have different ideas

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 10:00:20 AM »

Hi Dog Dave,

Thanks for the info about over 8ft being a wide load. That's nominally about about 2.4m. So I reckon 9ft minimum, preferably 10ft.

Hi Peter H,

I'm becoming wary about asking my daughter any questions about anything. Gone is the girl who used to go on treasure hunts, and sabotage the clues to the next locations, to make life difficult for her competitors. I'm starting to suspect that her job requires her to be squeaky clean, and not make waves. Less than 10 years to retirement.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.