S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rover is no more.  (Read 5402 times)

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Re: Land Rover is no more.
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2023, 04:52:31 PM »

At least the current range is not too much of an insult to the "oldies" unlike the rubbish produced by the once revered name of MG. Nowadays MG stands for Mandarin Grot. If
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2023, 05:02:19 PM »

Its not an original shell - just a GRP body. Its registered as a Range Rover, so no harm done. No worse than one of Alvin Smith's beasts ("Strange Rover").
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

timfoster

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7282
  • .:
  • 1961 SWB 2A
    • Photos of my Land Rover
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2023, 09:38:51 PM »

> stop providing free EV recharging and introduce fees that match the cost of the leccy used

They've finally started doing that in Northern Ireland, previously free because the electricity provider couldn't justify charging for the (then) poor service. Most EV owners here had been crying out for fee-based charging with overstay charges, because it means people will no longer leave their cars plugged in all day denying others the ability to charge. Those fees were finally introduced at the end of April.

I personally remain buoyant about EV cars in general. Battery technology has been improving in leaps and bounds over the last few years. Batteries are already massively recyclable, and often last longer than the cars they're installed in. No, EVs don't suit everyone yet, but we also no longer have to run steam engines, go to a chemist to obtain pitchers of petroleum for our cars, or have to hire a man with a red flag to walk in front of our vehicles either.

Technology marches on. You're welcome to rail against it, of course, but please at least stay informed:

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero/electric-vehicles-myths-misconceptions

- tim

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2023, 11:08:34 PM »

Some of the Q & A's in the 'busting the myth article do not really have substance.
Admittedly I just skimmed through but a couple of 'facts' stood out.
Does the electricity grid have enough capacity for charging EVs ? - Well according to the article yes we have plenty.
However in recent years the UK has had to import Electricity from France. No explanation of how that will work ?
Currently in the US, there are almost as many EV charging ports as there are gas station. - Most 'gas' stations have at least eight pumps, this means seven out of eight will have a long wait, especially since even 'rapid' charging takes considerably longer than just filling up.
Range, infrastructure and battery life are all subjects explained. But answers rely on future investment and technology. We need the horse before the cart !
It was touted that EV's although more expensive to buy have a cheaper whole life cost.
Studies in the US have shown cradle to grave costs are considerably more for an EV when taking into account mining and disposal. Though that gap is closing.
Bottom line is, yes EV's and infrastructure are improving all the time but we need facts and actions not promises.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2023, 10:03:07 AM »

Hi Shed,

Not knowing what I'm talking about, but having observed my neighbour's car's (Tesla) charging point, I suspect that the consumption needed to charge a car is not particularly heavy. He seems to have a fairly insubstantial cable between his white meter box and the charging socket.

At a push, I probably have sufficient room in my front garden and drive, to simultaneously charge three or four cars. plus one in the garage (until it becomes an all singing/dancing bathroom, plus man cave, each 8ft x 9ft), plus three small cars in my "secret garden".

Not everybody will be draining the 300 mile range out of their batteries, every day. How long do existing cars take to charge a "Mundane-mobile", when parked at the kerb.

Somehow, I have it in my mind, that 750W = one horsepower, but I have no idea how to convert the 40(?)bhp of the Ford 1172cc engine that we tested on a "brake" at Croydon Tech, into kW. ??? At full throttle, it drank a gallon of petrol in 20 minutes. Does that mean 20mpg, up gentle slope, at 60mph? OK ... probably irelevant!

I suspect that public charging points will charge by the hour, and I have read that charging rate slows down when the battery gets close to "full", so don't try to squeeze the "last ounce" of electricity into your car.

PS. Idle thought. Charging a battery increases the specific gravity (aka relative density) of the electrolyte, which implies that the electrolyte get heavier .... presumably without increasing in volume. ??? Does that imply that electricity has weight? My brain is starting to hurt.  :stars

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2023, 10:44:55 AM »

Hi 602
Like yourself such workings out make head hurt also.
But what we are led to believe is that currently a mass kettle switch on after a major Tv event can lead to a 'grey out'.
So surely thousands of Electric cars charging at the same time must have an effect.
Big questions like this have not been answered.
Imagine, in the depths of winter when everybody using more power and electric cars need more charging as they are less efficient in extreme temperatures.
And apparently the batteries are never charged to full capacity, I think 85 to 90%, to be most efficient.  ???
A long weekend to Northern Scotland would have took me an extra two days had I been in a full EV with current range and infrastructure.
Let us hope the questions are resolved before we are ALL all electric !

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2023, 11:13:12 AM »

Hi 602
Like yourself such workings out make head hurt also.
But what we are led to believe is that currently a mass kettle switch on after a major Tv event can lead to a 'grey out'.
So surely thousands of Electric cars charging at the same time must have an effect.
Big questions like this have not been answered.
Imagine, in the depths of winter when everybody using more power and electric cars need more charging as they are less efficient in extreme temperatures.
And apparently the batteries are never charged to full capacity, I think 85 to 90%, to be most efficient.  ???
A long weekend to Northern Scotland would have took me an extra two days had I been in a full EV with current range and infrastructure.
Let us hope the questions are resolved before we are ALL all electric !

That is why they are trying to get us all onto "smart" meters. (smart for them, but not us). Apparently you have to have a smart meter if you want to charge one of these dinosaurs at home. They will then be able to use you car as a battery at peak times when everyone switches their kettle on. What could possibly go wrong :stars. If EV's are so good how come every second advert on the tv is for one of them?
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2023, 11:14:02 AM »

The 'kettle problem' is a different problem. If the load on the grid suddenly increases massively (e.g. everybody putting the kettle on during a TV commercial break), then the power stations cannot ramp up quickly enough. This is because they are historically coal fired and take some hours to increase their generation capacity. This is what the Dinorwig and Ffestiniog Pumped Storage schemes were to address.

Charging EV's is different - that is about total generating capacity and the ability of the grid to distribute it. Both of those things are independent, and questionable at the moment. But they will get resolved when money is spent.

Chris.

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2023, 02:18:04 PM »

I have an electric car…charge from home but don't have a smart meter, my car can take charge but it can't be used as an electrical power resource beyond that. Shame really I'd like the option of using my battery as a back up supply in the power cuts we have after a tree is blown done on the lines…subject to the correct grid disconnection switch…etc etc…

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2023, 05:48:22 PM »

Currently in the US, there are almost as many EV charging ports as there are gas station[/font]. - Most 'gas' stations have at least eight pumps, this means seven out of eight will have a long wait, especially since even 'rapid' charging takes considerably longer than just filling up.

Studies in the US have shown cradle to grave costs are considerably more for an EV when taking into account mining and disposal. Though that gap is closing.

I'm in the US.  The closest charging station to me is about 30 miles away.  Wichita is the largest city in the state with about 400,000 within the city proper.  There are only 156 charging stations in the metro area and only 59 are public.  I have as yet to come across a gas station in my area of Kansas with a charging station.

The majority within the state, as well as millions across the country are not wanting our tax money used to build charging stations - as has been suggested in many jurisdictions.  There are parts of the US that have large stretches of of roads that do not have gas stations for fuel let alone EVs - the tax payers shouldn't have to fit the bill for those who have deep enough pockets to afford an EV.

As to the other - correct.  However, you don't hear a lot about disposal for some reason.  One would think the powers tgat be would of figured out what to do with the dead ones before pushing the technology.

https://www.science.org/content/article/millions-electric-cars-are-coming-what-happens-all-dead-batteries

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2023, 08:51:46 PM »

....Does the electricity grid have enough capacity for charging EVs ? - Well according to the article yes we have plenty.
However in recent years the UK has had to import Electricity from France.  ....

Based on that National Grid`s `'busting the myth' article, they`re unconcerned about their energy supply capacity (must keep the population calm) If so, why were we incentivized, with money, to switch off at selected peak times last winter, why would they do that if supply wasn`t an issue? I received money-back for the percentage of energy I didn`t use compared to my normal usage. That suggests we`re already straining that capacity?
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2023, 09:19:19 PM »

Mainly because of the difference between production and distribution. NG can generate the electricity (although if that's true, why is it being imported?) but the local supply companies can't distribute it due to the age of the network.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2023, 10:32:47 PM »

Hi 22900013A,
I see you're a fan of the 1-Ton. Have you room for another?
I see they`re calling it the One-Ton, although shouldn't that be Tonne  ???

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1972-land-rover-series-iii-109-one-ton-41Wqkg

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2023, 07:08:39 AM »

Hi 22900013A,
I see you're a fan of the 1-Ton. Have you room for another?
I see they`re calling it the One-Ton, although shouldn't that be Tonne  ???

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1972-land-rover-series-iii-109-one-ton-41Wqkg

That isn't a 1 Ton, and the 1 Ton did not have thicker metal in the chassis either. The vehicle is (was?) a 3/4 Ton GS used by the military.

The one tonne is the 101FC, a tonne being a metric measurement, Ton is imperial.

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2023, 06:51:29 PM »

….the light switch and the convoy light is a military specification
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 16 queries.