S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some general questions from a newbie  (Read 997 times)

RHaughton

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 8285
  • .:
Some general questions from a newbie
« on: May 16, 2023, 11:07:33 AM »

:tiphat Hello all, 

Just beginning my first foray in the world of Series - I'm the proud new owner of a Series II 109 pickup - and I have some general questions that hopefully some of the members on here would kindly assist with.

1. What would be the criteria for completing a full rebuild? At the moment I don't believe she needs a rebuild but don't really have the knowledge to assess such.

2. Could anyone please recommend a first place to look for spares and parts from broken up LRs?

3. Under this topic, could any one recommend where to look for bonnets? Currently looking for a deluxe bonnet in reasonable condition for purchase or swap with a military bonnet (no recess) in good condition and with fixings for a spare wheel.

4. How am I actually to know that my LR was originally a pickup and a full canvas for example - can this information be obtained from the Motor Museum copy of the factory records?

5. On the above note, would it be considered unethical to 'change' the model, say from full canvas to pickup or visa versa? 

Hopefully these questions make some sense. Many thanks!  :cheers

Mycroft

Re: Some general questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 11:46:21 AM »

:tiphat Hello all, 

Just beginning my first foray in the world of Series - I'm the proud new owner of a Series II 109 pickup - and I have some general questions that hopefully some of the members on here would kindly assist with.

1. What would be the criteria for completing a full rebuild? At the moment I don't believe she needs a rebuild but don't really have the knowledge to assess such.

2. Could anyone please recommend a first place to look for spares and parts from broken up LRs?

3. Under this topic, could any one recommend where to look for bonnets? Currently looking for a deluxe bonnet in reasonable condition for purchase or swap with a military bonnet (no recess) in good condition and with fixings for a spare wheel.

4. How am I actually to know that my LR was originally a pickup and a full canvas for example - can this information be obtained from the Motor Museum copy of the factory records?

5. On the above note, would it be considered unethical to 'change' the model, say from full canvas to pickup or visa versa? 

Hopefully these questions make some sense. Many thanks!  :cheers

Not definitive, but here's my 2c:

1. Not sure I understand this one - you choose to tackle what you think needs tackling?

2. There are a few breakers yards around eg Steven Baldwin in Porth, south Wales, otherwise people advertise parts here, in the 2 Series Land Rover parts groups on Facebook and on eBay.

3. Bonnets pop up here, on eBay and the 2 groups mentioned. I've bought and sold a few bonnets both ways.

4. If you order the Heritage Certificate from the British Motor Museum, it'll state info about the original spec which may help you answer this question.

5. Not remotely unethical - your truck your rules. Any subsequent owner can always change it back. Go for it!

• Master of the oils
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 12:21:29 PM »

1.If it aint broke dont fix it.  There will be plenty of fettling to keep it in running order.

If you want to nut and bolt built maybe buy a basket case as this look far to good in the pictures.

2. and 3. the forum is the go to place, particularly if want the correct part to the year etc.

4. Heritage may reveal but depending on its origin details documented vary vastly, even factory.  If it has seen service you may be able to get its reg.

The full canvas would potentially require the toothed top rail on the windscreen.

With the exception of the 5 door all variants interchange, and folks do so to suit their needs and taste.

I did however once see a 109 station wagon that had 2 doors on side and single door on the other, it was a late 60's vehicle that i was told that a handful were built for a commercial user.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 02:01:11 PM »

Greetings
    &  to the Forum.

When they left the factory they were either "Utility" or "station Wagon".
Land Rover didn't differentiate between what "tops" utilities had.
So it could have been a canvas tilt, a truck cab, a truck cab and 3/4 tilt or a "van" solid tin sides and roof.

Once out in the wild POs (previous owners) could have fitted anything  :stars
Indeed some fit a canvas or bikini top for the summer and revert to a hard top for the winter months.

The choice is yours.

Whilst a Gaydon Heritage Certificate is nice it won't tell you any more.
The vehicle would have been dispatched to a main dealer.
It's possible the customer specified what top they wanted at the point of sale.
If you are very, very lucky some vehicles still have the original paperwork, inc. the invoice which should/might say what top (and other extras) the vehicle had.

Basically it's yours to fit out what suits you :first
Who's a then ?

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 05:09:28 PM »

Welcome to the best forum!

You can find some factory info here;  https://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html

As to a rebuild so much depends on what YOU want out of your Rover. Do you want a trailer queen nut and bolt resto? Do you want a daily driver, camping rig? All have different(to me) build choices. On my 109 I went with a restomod. It's your 109 build it how you want it. That is one of the attractions of the brand for me.

Post up in the wanted section for bits you are looking for. PA Blanchards is going out of business so it might behoove you to keep an eye on their website.

:tiphat

RHaughton

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 07:58:38 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for all your answers and advice.

2286 - what you say makes perfect sense - she's in pretty good condition and runs well and it seems to be mainly cosmetic work that needs doing but I'll get her checked over by a mate of a mate who does LRs and see what he says.

Wittsend - I rather like the idea of changing the top depending on the season. I'll see what happens!

genocache - Thank you. I'll keep an eye on their website.

Cheers  :cheers

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 05:02:09 AM »

Hi

OT, might be worth knowing ....

The SWB and LWB ESTATE  (and LIGHTWEIGHT) van sides are interchangeable, so you can fit panels in the same either "fenestrated" (windowed) rear sides in all three versions  But obviously NOT a LWB side panel to a SWB vehicle.

I think that SWB full hardtops have been dropped onto LWB truck tubs, and even onto LWB estate tubs (so you can carry 5 people, and several bags of "horse exhaust, without atmospheric discomfort. However, you will need to make your own arrangements for segragating the rear passengers from the tub. (A cat-flap will fit the short roof, but there will be no provision for a tail gate half way along the tub).

Does anybody have any photos of any such mix and match conversions?

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 08:16:38 AM »

I once built a Range Rover Classic as a 2 door on the driver's side and a 4 door on the passenger side.

Why? do you ask. Answer - I haven't the foggiest - it just seemed to be a fun challenge at the time.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 08:26:36 PM »

If you are very, very lucky some vehicles still have the original paperwork, inc. the invoice which should/might say what top (and other extras) the vehicle had.

Hi Alan,

Would/could the price on the original sales invoice indicate what roof was fitted?

If the truck is a runner, think about investing in an (unnecessary) MOT. I believe 24hour insurance policies are available, but I don't know what they cost. Provided the vehicle is insured, it may be driven to and from an MOT, by prior arrangement.

Me? I would rather not pay for the holes. If the chassis is ragged, I'd assume the spring bushes are going to be absolute sods, so bite the bullet .... tell Barbara to buy me a new chassis, and four new springs. She hasn't refused yet.

Would anyone like to list the prices of all the big/expensive bits that are desirable. I'm guessing in excess of £10,000 .... and then there would be an extra £5,000 for a 40HP electric "canal boat" motor. A lot cheaper than buying something battery powered from the showroom. I can dream.

Whatever, GOOD LUCK, either way.

RHaughton

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 02:34:15 PM »

Thanks for all your advice.

gcc130

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 07:33:45 PM »

As far as sourcing second hand parts I don’t think anyone has mentioned 4x4 autojumbles such as the one just up the road at Malvern Showground this Sunday.
There will be lots of second hand parts available, even those you didn’t realise you needed😊

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 08:41:52 PM »

Agreed. I'm thinking of throwing caution to the wind and going up on Sunday. That is provided SWMBO issues a leave chit.

gcc130

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 09:11:43 PM »

I’m having a stand on Sunday Mark, I have spare seats in the the 130 your welcome to a lift(and free entry) but I’ll be leaving here 530am 😱

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 09:46:14 PM »

There's an offer! Thank you very much!
I think that might just be a bridge too far for me - late night tomorrow night and an early start on Sunday would probably be the end of me!
Thanks so much for the offer, but I think I'll head up a bit later.
I'll stop by and say hello though!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 17 queries.